GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is Your GS Still Going Strong??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 02:56 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
^ thanks - emailed that eBay seller for more info. Might be worth the appearance of the car not to mention better brightness. Looks likes there's lotsa different prices. How much do ya think installation might cost?
There is a detailed DIY on this site that I followed, so save the money. It took me a couple of hours to do.
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (07-18-20)
Old 07-18-20, 12:09 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
There is a detailed DIY on this site that I followed, so save the money. It took me a couple of hours to do.
Thanks do ya have the link?

Old 07-24-20, 04:20 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

96k miles and really isn't driven that much these days. Looking to step down to 18's and try to enjoy a little more performance out of the GS. Recently had my bumper painted, TTE lip re-molded, painted mirrors black, and straight piped the mufflers last year. Now the long overdue Timing Belt service is approaching so looking to get that done maybe in a month or two.. I can't imagine what that belt looks like after 21yrs. Forgot the mention i also installed a few days ago the K&N intake system. My stock intake developed crack in the rear resonator box a few years back and the JB weld finally gave out. I do like the stock intake, I'll probably find another one down the road. Trying
LaZeR (07-30-20)
Old 08-09-20, 02:35 PM
luxuryrice
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My GS300's engine gave out at around 230k miles, many things failed in the span of a week and even repairing it myself was too much to keep the car.Also the AC only blew super hot and auto door locks didnt work anymore. These were livable while it was running. Had a big oil leak at around 200k and it sealed itself up for about 30k miles, still dont understand how it did that. Definitely want another one in the future, best riding 20 year old car Ive ever been in.

Loved the gold paint with chrome wheels.
Old 08-09-20, 07:44 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
^^^ looks like in North Carolina headlight covers stay nice - mine look like crap!!
It helps a lot if the car is garaged out of the sun.
The following 2 users liked this post by natman:
LaZeR (08-27-20), ungern (08-23-21)
Old 08-09-20, 07:51 PM
natman
Advanced

My 2002 GS300 only has 80K miles. It was my mom's car and she was literally a little old lady who drove it once a week. I got it with 32K when she stopped driving and it now has 80K 7 years later. I've replaced an O2 sensor, filters, brake pads, a battery, a new set of tires and oil. The foam for the subwoofer had to be replaced. The struts are starting to fade a bit and I may get new ones in the near future. Still runs great, paint is great (I wax it regularly). Not bad for an 18 year old car. No plans to replace it.
LaZeR (08-27-20), tmf2004 (08-09-20)
Old 08-14-20, 07:51 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

My 2001 GS430 is still going strong at 150,000 miles. It been my daily driver for close to a decade.

Things that have gone bad:
- a couple door lock actuators
- replaced original balljoints with MOOG
- idler pulleys we’re screaming and replaced
- Mark Levinson audio box recall.

I've also done a host of front suspension parts replacements because I wanted to keep things tight. I think the only thing on the to-do list is to replace my front coilover shocks. I haven’t been impressed with Megan reliability.

I’ve been lucky so far that I haven’t had to deal with anything major. I’m probably on borrowed time but just gonna keep daily driving it 😁

The AC even blows cold which is amazing after 19yrs with no service.

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 08-14-20 at 07:55 PM.
LaZeR (08-27-20)
Old 08-15-20, 04:56 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
My 2001 GS430 is still going strong at 150,000 miles. It been my daily driver for close to a decade.

Things that have gone bad:
- a couple door lock actuators
- replaced original balljoints with MOOG
- idler pulleys we’re screaming and replaced
- Mark Levinson audio box recall.

I've also done a host of front suspension parts replacements because I wanted to keep things tight. I think the only thing on the to-do list is to replace my front coilover shocks. I haven’t been impressed with Megan reliability.

I’ve been lucky so far that I haven’t had to deal with anything major. I’m probably on borrowed time but just gonna keep daily driving it 😁

The AC even blows cold which is amazing after 19yrs with no service.
Funny but I have to manually switch my blend doors in the winter and summer (don’t ask lol). So because the AC only comes out at the lowest temp in the summer, my kids complain that the car gets TOO cold after a while in the summer 🤪
LaZeR (08-27-20)
Old 08-15-20, 06:29 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I just don’t get it... how can an AC system work perfectly for 19yrs without as much as a Freon refill. Zero service during that time. Blows ice cold. Way to go Lexus!
LaZeR (08-27-20)
Old 01-21-21, 06:55 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
I just don’t get it... how can an AC system work perfectly for 19yrs without as much as a Freon refill. Zero service during that time. Blows ice cold. Way to go Lexus!
I hear ya... quality was so much better back in d good ole dayz...
The following 2 users liked this post by LaZeR:
jettate (03-23-21), ungern (08-23-21)
Old 03-16-21, 02:56 PM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 252xxx

Originally Posted by firelizard
254,000km checking in. None of the power door locks work, the sunroof drain periodically comes undone and drains inside the car, it's rusting faster than I can have it repaired, the trunk lock seized, the driver's side seat heater burned a hole in the seat, I've had to replace all the ball joints, the bushings need to be replaced, it has "The Shake" at highway speeds, I've replaced both rear calipers because one was seized, either the parking brake or the rear diff clunks in reverse, I've had to replace the Y-pipe and third cat, the radiator needs to be replaced, and it has leaked its refrigerant out over the past few years. It also has lots of seized bolts.

That's pretty much all the bad stuff though. It has otherwise run like a champ the whole time I've had it. As long as it has a charged battery, it started up no problem even in -30*C without being plugged in. If I didn't care about the details, this car would probably run strong for another 200,000km with a couple more timing belt and water pump services.
Thanks for the peek into the crystal ball. Power door locks don't work on my new (to me) 04 black n tan 300 so I just don't leave abything worth stealing in it. CEL for some catalytic convertor(s) are going out has just started. What? There's 4? Holy cow! The dashboard sounds haunted as an actuator hunts for a place to settle on. There are a few things draining the battery that are deactivated like the dome light (thinks a door is open) and the cd changer.

The original owner did the ball joints and a bunch of other stuff including the t-belt but an oil leak has developed at the top of the cover. The seat belts don't retract proper so unless I manually move them up they try real hard to slammed by closing the door.

But car looks real nice minus a few scratches, shifts smooth as wet glass, rides like a limousine, no rattles, squeaks or clunks, easily starts, purrs like a kitten and is just a dam fine automobile.

Doing internet searches kept leading me here so I figured joining up and signing in lets one see things not available on the outside. I've already learned a few things here and did some 5 minute repairs and as time allows more will take place
LaZeR (03-16-21)
Old 03-18-21, 08:59 AM
Tank
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

This is my second one, Plan to keep it forever. I have a build thread around here somewhere..
LaZeR (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 05:42 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tank
This is my second one, Plan to keep it forever. ...
extremely appropriate handle & avatar!!
Old 03-19-21, 01:16 PM
jettate
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I have just finished getting my 2003 GS300 through the mechanical phase. Getting everything back working to stock. With the exception of the door actuators, everything is working on the car. All new rotors and brakes, K&N drop in filter, transmission fluid changed and pressure valve set to 3. Right upper control arm replaced with MevoTech. 4 wheel alignment. 115K and runs perfectly. It is a absolute joy to drive on road trips. I have issues keeping it below 80mph. Leather interior redo is next.
LaZeR (03-19-21)
Old 03-23-21, 04:43 PM
natman
Advanced

2002 GS300. Was my mother's before she retired from driving. It was the original car driven once a week by a little old lady; 32K miles in 11 years. I've since put 50K miles in 8 years. Still looks great. I've replaced an oxygen sensor, a set of brakes. The original battery went out after 15 years. The timing belt was replaced while my mom still owned it. I replaced the serpentine belt because it was starting to squeak; I suspect that the culprit was a dry idler bearing. I greased the bearing and put on a new belt. The original lives in the trunk as an emergency spare. I had to refoam the subwoofer. I suspect the HVAC flappers are starting to want attention.

Aside from that it's been amazingly trouble free. Paint looks new, no starter or fuel pump issues. Wonderful car.
jettate (03-23-21), LaZeR (03-24-21)

Quick Reply: Is Your GS Still Going Strong??