GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is Your GS Still Going Strong??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 11:44 PM
kr777
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gosser
Nice, are those OEM outer tail lights? Sell them to me.
I would but already sold the whole trunk haha, honestly I think they looked ugly with the lighter ones

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Wow 98 octane. In New York the most I’ve ever seen is 93 octane. What country are you in?
Australia. But I think the US use some other octane rating so my 98 is the same as your 93
The following users liked this post:
Aussiegs3 (08-27-21)
Old 07-09-21, 11:18 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraS
I haven't been here in ages, I was searching info on a DIY armrest replacement on the GS400 and I noticed this thread. I was able to replace the new armrest see the photos below.
LOL the Manufacturing Quality on the replacement looks so much better - & cleaner - than the OEM.
Old 08-23-21, 01:44 AM
ungern
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddk912
Hi,
Picked up a 2000 gs400 today. Turned 167000 miles on the way home. It feels very solid but I’m somewhat concerned about the timing belt because I have no record of it being serviced. Reading through this thread I’m seeing starters mentioned and I know front suspension is a common wear item on these cars, but can anyone chime in on things I should pay special attention too?
tia
Ddk912
I am very unsure of why this isn't an issue for more people, but the timing belt is the one thing you never want to snap off. I had mine replaced after the mandatory 8 years (as the mileage wasn't "there" yet), because if that goes, you can say bye-bye to the engine.

I've got a 2003 GS300 that I intend to keep until the environmental protesters drive gas prices beyond the moon. Already 1L 95 octane costs US$1,6 here, which is ridiculous. Now they're mixing 10% ethanol in it, which is not only more expensive, but raises your fuel consumption by ~2%.

It's run 196.000km, bought from my dad, who got it new in 2003. It's had one oxygen sensor replaced, new fuel filter (under the back seat, the old one was dirty as hell), and I changed the sub-base ring foam which went brrrrr after 15 years. I had a bit of low idle rpm a year ago, got the throttle body cleaned, as there was a lot of soot, fixed that instantly. Two days ago, I had to clean the mode servo, to get rid of the gerbils. Right now, a heat shield over the catalytic converter is a bit loose, rattling, no biggie. Then the usual maintenance, nothing else. Love this car to death. And yes, so many people comment, it looks almost new.

Last edited by ungern; 08-23-21 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Added one problem, throttle body
LaZeR (08-26-21)
Old 08-26-21, 02:51 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Question Timing Belt Replacement

Originally Posted by ungern
I am very unsure of why this isn't an issue for more people, but the timing belt is the one thing you never want to snap off. I had mine replaced after the mandatory 8 years (as the mileage wasn't "there" yet), because if that goes, you can say bye-bye to the engine. ...
How much were the total costs, where's "here" (assuming canada), and if the Timing Belt goes don't you get some kind of Warning Light (or other)? THX

Last edited by LaZeR; 08-26-21 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-26-21, 03:39 PM
jettate
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I am working on my 03GS3 project. Got new leather installed. Almost all LED interior lights, trunk light, key ring green LED and reverse lights. Got it tinted 35% front windows, 5% the rest of the car. Going to paint in the next couple of weeks. Almost done with the project for appearance. All I really have left is steering wheel rewrap and shift ****. I still have a evap glitch when I fill up. It has cost a fortune to get the car back to almost mint. Have brand new floor mats OEM ivory. With all that being said, about to have a mint 03GS3 with 121K original miles on it. Looking forward to driving it for a long time. Still want Tanabe exhaust and some Daizen sway bar bushings. Grom audio installed. Weather tech sunroof wind deflector. I will post pics after it comes out of paint. Crystal Parchment color. Here are some pics of the leather. Parchment color from Leatherseats.com. Double stitch, no piping.

They fixed to cup holder cover up

Out of paint. Long ago, just did not post it. Here are after paint pics.

Last edited by jettate; 04-23-22 at 12:49 PM.
ungern (08-27-21)
Old 08-26-21, 04:18 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by jettate
I am working on my 03GS3 project. Got new leather installed. Almost all LED interior lights, trunk light, key ring green LED and reverse lights. Got it tinted 35% front windows, 5% the rest of the car. Going to paint in the next couple of weeks. Almost done with the project for appearance. All I really have left is steering wheel rewrap and shift ****. I still have a evap glitch when I fill up. It has cost a fortune to get the car back to almost mint. Have brand new floor mats OEM ivory. With all that being said, about to have a mint 03GS3 with 121K original miles on it. Looking forward to driving it for a long time. Still want Tanabe exhaust and some Daizen sway bar bushings. Grom audio installed. Weather tech sunroof wind deflector. I will post pics after it comes out of paint. Crystal Parchment color.
HOLY ***** - how much did ya spend?!
jettate (08-26-21)
Old 08-26-21, 04:41 PM
jettate
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Me and wife needed another car. We discussed getting a used Camry and having a car payment for 5 years. At least 360 a month. We decided since the car was given to us by my dad to spend the money bringing it back to life. I opened a Citi bank credit card that has 0% interest until 9-15-22 and used that card to pay for the project. I read that these cars easily go to 300k and we decided to go for it. So we have been working on the car since then and are almost done and will not have a car payment. I get the car, she does not like it and drives a 4Runner. 12K will be the investment after it gets out of paint. Runs perfectly and I enjoy driving it. Hoping it lasts for a long time.

Last edited by jettate; 08-26-21 at 05:15 PM.
ungern (08-27-21)
Old 08-26-21, 06:31 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by jettate
Me and wife needed another car. We discussed getting a used Camry and having a car payment for 5 years. At least 360 a month. We decided since the car was given to us by my dad to spend the money bringing it back to life. I opened a Citi bank credit card that has 0% interest until 9-15-22 and used that card to pay for the project. I read that these cars easily go to 300k and we decided to go for it. So we have been working on the car since then and are almost done and will not have a car payment. I get the car, she does not like it and drives a 4Runner. 12K will be the investment after it gets out of paint. Runs perfectly and I enjoy driving it. Hoping it lasts for a long time.
I don’t blame you the 2nd Gen GS is more reliable and tank like then any other car for $12,000 IMO. Id rather have a GS over any other used car.
jettate (08-26-21)
Old 08-26-21, 06:35 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LaZeR
How much were the total costs, where's "here" (assuming canada), and if the Timing Belt goes don't you get some kind of Warning Light (or other)? THX
there is no warning it just snaps off and then your ****ed because you need a new engine.
ungern (08-27-21)
Old 08-26-21, 08:45 PM
sganesh00
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought this last week!
'01 GS300 201,000 miles.

This is my first car that I bought and I'm just so mindblown by how well this car is engineered. Runs so damn well for 200,000 miles!! The ride is silky smooth and I love it. However, cosmetically, it really needs some TLC. Front bumper needs to probably be resprayed, the leather needs to be treated and I need a new headunit but man, mechanically this is solid.

The following 3 users liked this post by sganesh00:
jettate (08-27-21), LaZeR (08-26-21), ungern (08-27-21)
Old 08-27-21, 02:46 AM
ungern
Rookie

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Hi LaZeR,

You're assuming wrong I'm in Sweden. Labor is not cheap here, the belt inculding some other work still wasn't that bad, when having a mechanic you've know for years, instead of going to Lexus.
The sum was around US$800.
A new engine or full renovation is not below that figure!

Last edited by ungern; 08-27-21 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-27-21, 05:11 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sganesh00
I bought this last week!
'01 GS300 201,000 miles.

This is my first car that I bought and I'm just so mindblown by how well this car is engineered. Runs so damn well for 200,000 miles!! The ride is silky smooth and I love it. However, cosmetically, it really needs some TLC. Front bumper needs to probably be resprayed, the leather needs to be treated and I need a new headunit but man, mechanically this is solid.

the 2GS is well known to be over engineered. They just don’t make them like this anymore. I can easily afford a new car but I truly prefer my GS400. I had a 2017 RX F sport that I sold after one year because I missed my GS and found another clean GS400. There is nothing like these cars
LaZeR (08-27-21)
Old 08-27-21, 05:48 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Question Timing Belt Replacement

Originally Posted by ungern
Hi LaZeR, You're assuming wrong I'm in Sweden. Labor is not cheap here, the belt inculding some other work still wasn't that bad, when having a mechanic you've know for years, instead of going to Lexus. The sum was around US$800.
Thanks - can you clarify "the other work"? Can anyone else in d'USA or Canada comment on how much they paid for Parts & Labor to swap out a Timing Belt on a 2nd Gen GS? Thought it's around less than $300.
Old 08-27-21, 05:52 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by DMPesso
the 2GS is well known to be over engineered. They just don’t make them like this anymore. I can easily afford a new car but I truly prefer my GS400. ... There is nothing like these cars
This is what's trying to be conveyed in this thread, but didn't know about the "over engineered" part.
Old 08-27-21, 05:54 AM
ungern
Rookie

I keep a ledger, yes. :P
Besides the timing and auxillary belt, I got both xenons replaced for new, as one was flickering, otherwise it was the "small" service, change engine oil and filter.
Mechanic said the water pump (usual work to do on cars at that point, as it's easy to replace when the belts are off) will last for another 150.000km at least, so no point in replacing.

Acutally, I'm getting unsure about the costs, maybe it was much lower than US$800, definitely not over.

Quick Reply: Is Your GS Still Going Strong??