GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Battery recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 06:17 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 8M6
Duracell Platinum AGM Group 34 from Sam's Club. It also came with a riser to adapt to the Group 24 battery size for our cars. I bought one when they had it on sale for an extra $25 off the regular price.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/auto-grou...ee/prod9510079
Thank you. That’s a great deal since flooded batteries are the same price. I’ll see if Costco offers anything like this
Old 11-30-20, 08:21 PM
Oceans13
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

I actually do have one to recommend. I bought my 2004 GS300 with a Lexus brand battery in it, which started to fail within the warranty period. I brought it to the local lex dealer and learned that the warranty is prorated, and not worth getting a battery there. The Lexus batteries are actually rebranded Interstate, which are manufactured in Mexico. I settled on Deka Gold, made by East Penn manufacturing. I was lucky enough to have a distribution center near me and bought it there. It turns out that East Penn is the last domestic battery manufacturer, and makes a multitude of store brand and other rebranded batteries, like for AAA and Harley Davidson, as well as for marine and heavy tech. The battery I bought was barely a week old, and has been great so far, I would recommend it. https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.co.../where-to-buy/

Old 11-30-20, 09:05 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Oceans13
I actually do have one to recommend. I bought my 2004 GS300 with a Lexus brand battery in it, which started to fail within the warranty period. I brought it to the local lex dealer and learned that the warranty is prorated, and not worth getting a battery there. The Lexus batteries are actually rebranded Interstate, which are manufactured in Mexico. I settled on Deka Gold, made by East Penn manufacturing. I was lucky enough to have a distribution center near me and bought it there. It turns out that East Penn is the last domestic battery manufacturer, and makes a multitude of store brand and other rebranded batteries, like for AAA and Harley Davidson, as well as for marine and heavy tech. The battery I bought was barely a week old, and has been great so far, I would recommend it. https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.co.../where-to-buy/

East Penn is known for making great batteries. I have a Super Start branded Deka battery
Old 11-30-20, 09:57 PM
8M6
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
Thank you. That’s a great deal since flooded batteries are the same price. I’ll see if Costco offers anything like this
No problem. Last I checked Costco's battery selection, the only AGMs they sold were Optimas. I don't know if that's changed more recently. I got my battery in December 2018 so I think the sale price I got at Sam's may have been a seasonal discount, but even their $155 regular price was cheaper than any other AGM I checked out at the time.

Originally Posted by Oceans13
East Penn is one of the most solid and reliable battery OEMs out there. They also make the Duracell Platinum AGM that I have, which they sell as the Deka Intimidator and goes for around $190 on a few different sites.
Old 12-15-20, 02:57 PM
Oceans13
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
East Penn is known for making great batteries. I have a Super Start branded Deka battery
Originally Posted by 8M6
No problem. Last I checked Costco's battery selection, the only AGMs they sold were Optimas. I don't know if that's changed more recently. I got my battery in December 2018 so I think the sale price I got at Sam's may have been a seasonal discount, but even their $155 regular price was cheaper than any other AGM I checked out at the time.

East Penn is one of the most solid and reliable battery OEMs out there. They also make the Duracell Platinum AGM that I have, which they sell as the Deka Intimidator and goes for around $190 on a few different sites.

I got the basic one and it's been great.