GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Battery recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-20, 10:34 AM
sunpadre
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Battery recommendations?

Hi all, I've had mixed experiences over the past several years with batteries on my 04 GS430. It's rare that I get over 3 years anymore on them. It seems that these vehicles are heavy on battery use with all the lights and gizmos that it needs to power up.

Can anyone recommend a good battery these days? I'm coming up on 3 years with my current one and I believe it's going to need replacement soon.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-20, 01:52 PM
firelizard

Received 442 Likes on 350 Posts

If the battery is not being fully charged by the alternator, you have a problem with your charging system, or the battery is internally damaged. No amount of lights and gadgets makes it normal for a battery to fail prematurely.
Old 08-06-20, 02:04 PM
sunpadre
Rookie

Hello, just checked the battery, which is at the 3 year mark now, as well as the alternator. It is being fully charged by alternator but it is starting to die from the voltage testing I just performed. I will need to replace it in the next week or so.

I've been getting exactly 3 years for every battery I've had in the car over the course of the last 12 years I've owned it. Can someone please advise a good, quality long lasting battery manufacture?

Thank you
Old 08-06-20, 02:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

What is your current battery and what's the warranty on it? If they're failing prematurely you should have some prorated amount applied on replacement.
Old 08-06-20, 02:30 PM
sunpadre
Rookie

Hello, the current battery in use is from a local auto-parts store (Oreilly's). It's warrantied for 3 years - currently 2 weeks left on warranty. I inquired on warranty was told it will be replaced free of charge if it's defective. I'm taking it in now - we'll see what happens.

Since I have 3 other cars that will need batteries at some point, based on your personal experience, anyone have a battery manufacture that exceeded your expectations? If so, please share.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by sunpadre; 08-06-20 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 05:35 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Might consider upgrading to an AGM battery. With proper care and tending these have been successful in 6-10 year life spans. A regular flooded battery isn't typically expected to last longer than 3-5 years anyway. 3 years is the low end, but not uncommon at all.
Old 08-06-20, 05:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

In my old GS I used an optima battery but also had upgraded electronics, capacitors for stereo etc.

for my new cars I typically check consumer reports for latest ratings and/ or get the battery at Costco. Their prices are about 2/3 for name brand Interstate batteries
Old 08-06-20, 06:29 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

costco batteries are excellent n good warranty lil pricy but well worth it also interstate batteries
Old 08-06-20, 07:20 PM
Mike246
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm with Lextout on this. I would only use Costco for batteries and for tyres as well.
Old 08-06-20, 10:14 PM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Ever since I bought an Optima RedTop nearly 20 years ago, I've had nothing but AGM batteries and gotten at least seven years out of all of them except for Bosch Platinums.

I wouldn't recommend an Optima these days. I had an older Optima in the early-2000s, before Johnson Controls fully moved their production to Mexico in 2009. Repeat Optima customers who bought them after the manufacturing shift have said that the quality is not as good as it once was.

The best battery I've had and still use is a DieHard Platnium AGM from 2013-14. These were rebranded $320 Odyssey batteries, but Sears sold the DieHard Platnium AGM for $230 and regularly had massive sales on them that brought them down to $165. Mine has survived multiple deep discharges and several drives on a failing alternator and still runs like a champ. I keep it on a CTEK charger most of the time and it still settles at around 75% of max capacity after charging. The only better battery in my opinion would be a NorthStar battery, but you'll probably never find them at a great price. Batteries+Bulbs sells them rebadged under the X2Power brand, but you're still going to pay over $250 for one even on sale.

I've had nothing but problems with multiple Bosch Platinum AGM batteries which are rebranded Exide Edge batteries that retail at Pep Boys. On top of that, Pep Boys customer service is horrible and they'll try their hardest to blame you for a bad battery. Pep Boys was already my least favorite auto parts store, but dealing with them over the Bosch Platinums was the last straw for me.

The best deal I got on an AGM battery is what I currently have in the GS, a Duracell Platinum AGM from Sam's Club for $135. These are rebranded East Penn/Deka Intimidators which are known to be very solid. It was inadvertently deep discharged once since I got it in February of last year, mainly because I was out of town and I only have one trickle charger. It charged back up overnight on the CTEK and continues to work great.

Otherwise, if you want a good price on a reliable flooded battery, go to Costco and pick up an Interstate.

Last edited by 8M6; 08-06-20 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-07-20, 10:23 AM
sunpadre
Rookie

*Update: I took my failing battery to Oreilly's last night, was able to provide proof of purchase, which showed a couple weeks left on warranty. They immediately brought out a new battery to exchange for no cost! I was amazed, no testing of my bad battery. I said this is great customer service, and the guy at checkout told me they like to make things easy.

Thanks all for your recommendations. This forum has saved me so much time & $$$ in the past with great information. Costco has always had very good quality on everything - good to hear batteries are same. The Sam's club Duracell batteries have peaked my interest as well, as that brand knows batteries. I used to use DieHard batteries on all my vehicles, including a jet boat, until I had a couple defective batteries within a 2-3 year period a while back. Our 2015 RDX still has the original battery, so it's going to go some point soon too.

Thanks again!

Old 11-27-20, 09:56 AM
paulr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the thread is old but just to add to it for future searches.

AGM batteries are required for Start Stop systems on newer cars. Not needed or helpful for older cars such as my 2003 GS430. You can read up on them and come to your own conclusion.

I was using Lexus 84 month batteries for years and every 36-40 months it would fail like clockwork and I would lug it down to the Lexus dealer and they would charge me 130 or so to replace it under warranty. AGM batteries are very expensive BTW.

This year my Lexus replaced Alternator and battery failed just passed the halfway mark and it wasn't worth it for me.

Costco Group 24 for me. Lexus battery dimensions: 10 1/4 long, 6 13/16 wide, 8 7/8 high. Costco / Interstate battery comes with a carrying strap that is a bit bigger but the proctective outer case does fit over it and the battery cable holders are kept in play. Battery was $100 and much cheaper then the AGM batteries that aren't really needed.

Old 11-27-20, 11:59 AM
8M6
Pit Crew

Since I went into detail on AGM batteries in this thread previously, I wanted to address some things about AGM batteries because it's overly reductive to say that they aren't helpful.

Are they necessary? No.
Are they beneficial? Potentially.
Are they more convenient? Yes.
Do they last longer? Generally, yes.
Are they worth the extra upfront expense? It depends.

I don’t primarily shop for parts based on upfront price, but if that's someone's main criteria, then they shouldn't bother with an AGM. However, $135 for my current Duracell Platinum AGM is an excellent value for something that will easily outlast a regular flooded battery in the same circumstances.

I’ve never had a non-defective AGM battery last less than seven years. That longevity on its own pays for the cost of two flooded batteries that fail after 3-4 years. What I really like though is having a battery that is maintenance-free, leak-free, and has the ability to better handle and recover from deep discharge cycles whether that be from a lack of use when not hooked up to a trickle charger, or powering my stereo system when the engine is off.

Ultimately, if the retailer from where you bought your current battery is willing to honor a free replacement warranty as in the OP's case, that's going to be the best option.

Last edited by 8M6; 11-27-20 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-27-20, 07:21 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 8M6
Since I went into detail on AGM batteries in this thread previously, I wanted to address some things about AGM batteries because it's overly reductive to say that they aren't helpful.

Are they necessary? No.
Are they beneficial? Potentially.
Are they more convenient? Yes.
Do they last longer? Generally, yes.
Are they worth the extra upfront expense? It depends.

I don’t primarily shop for parts based on upfront price, but if that's someone's main criteria, then they shouldn't bother with an AGM. However, $135 for my current Duracell Platinum AGM is an excellent value for something that will easily outlast a regular flooded battery in the same circumstances.

I’ve never had a non-defective AGM battery last less than seven years. That longevity on its own pays for the cost of two flooded batteries that fail after 3-4 years. What I really like though is having a battery that is maintenance-free, leak-free, and has the ability to better handle and recover from deep discharge cycles whether that be from a lack of use when not hooked up to a trickle charger, or powering my stereo system when the engine is off.

Ultimately, if the retailer from where you bought your current battery is willing to honor a free replacement warranty as in the OP's case, that's going to be the best option.
Where did you purchase an AGM battery for $135??
Old 11-28-20, 08:20 AM
8M6
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
Where did you purchase an AGM battery for $135??
Duracell Platinum AGM Group 34 from Sam's Club. It also came with a riser to adapt to the Group 24 battery size for our cars. I bought one when they had it on sale for an extra $25 off the regular price.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/auto-grou...ee/prod9510079
The following users liked this post:
User 122922 (02-11-22)

Quick Reply: Battery recommendations?