GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DiodeDynamics Smart Tap LED Flasher Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 11:52 PM
bbmach
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default DiodeDynamics Smart Tap LED Flasher Install

Just finished installing a @Diode Dynamics Smart Tap LED Flasher in my 2000 GS400, and thought I’d do a quick write up. It’s not as bad as some of the other, older threads make it out to be, and they could have been a little clearer on what to expect.

The flasher is easy enough to find, as it’s located just behind the hood cable release. Just remove the lower dash cover (two screws, a clip, the OBD port clip and bulb), turn your four-way flashers on and you’ll hear and feel the unit.

The fun part is how it’s held in. Take a good look at the new flasher, and you’ll see where the clips go. There are two on each side that you’ll be able to pull apart with your fingers, but the tricky one is the wire harness – it has a traditional push release on the bottom/back that is quite tight.

A small flat blade screwdriver helps release the last one on the bottom front where the unit itself slides onto the bracket.

You’ll scrape up your wrist a bit by some of the sharp metal bracketry in the way, and stretch your back as you lay twisted under the dash, but it isn’t as bad as it sounds. I used a dorky LED flashlight headband, and it lit the area up quite well.

I don’t have any LEDs, I just wanted the automatic three-blink directionals when I give the turn signal stalk a slight touch like newer cars. I am sure this will lead me down the LED path though.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/smartt...-lexus-gs.html
Old 08-08-20, 11:59 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Getting to that flasher module is a pain lol.
I installed one a while back mostly for the tap turn function which works great. I only get the flasher to function as (departure mode)upon locking. The arrival mode does not work upon unlocking. Talked to Diode dynamics tech support and they said that is how it works on the GS.
Overall a nice mod, tap turn works great and the delayed departure lighting of the turn signals is nice when locking the car. I have my set for 10 seconds. I have led side mirror covers which gives it an extra flair.
Old 08-08-20, 12:12 PM
firelizard

Received 459 Likes on 363 Posts

Does the car normally flash when it unlocks? I thought I remembered it not doing that, and thinking it was nice that it doesn't advertise that your car has been unlocked.
Old 08-08-20, 01:37 PM
8M6
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts

I also have this SmartTap flasher and LED bulbs for all turn signal/hazard lights. The tap-to-signal is a nice feature and I set mine to the maximum six blinks. As neat as the strobing wig-wag hazard blink mode is, it's more of a car show party trick than anything else.

Here's the factory CBEST setting for our cars:

Code:
Category Item Select Default Description Options
=========================================================================================================================================================================
Door Lock ANSWER BACK HAZARD HAZARD: Hazard lights will blink once when transmitter is used to lock vehicle
and twice when unlocking the vehicle providing the doors hood and trunk are closed.
OFF: Hazard lights will not blink HAZARD/OFF
I don't remember the details, but I was told that the reason that unlock doesn't keep the turn signals solidly lit for the set duration with this flasher in Toyotas is related to the double action (beep/blink) on unlock.

Last edited by 8M6; 11-17-21 at 10:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (08-09-20)
Old 08-09-20, 06:31 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Thank you! We are indeed in the works on a firmware change to get that arrival feature working on Lexus models. We will post on social when that's available for anyone to swap out as needed.

For now - enjoy!

Paul
The following users liked this post:
BiGEZ (08-11-20)
Old 08-09-20, 08:10 PM
bbmach
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Thank you! We are indeed in the works on a firmware change to get that arrival feature working on Lexus models. We will post on social when that's available for anyone to swap out as needed.

For now - enjoy!

Paul
Great news. I'll take the one-touch turn signal flash over the arrival flash, but I already see I miss the unlock flash. Thanks for the update!
Old 08-13-20, 02:06 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks for that update, I will be watching for the upgraded unit.
Old 08-14-20, 06:30 AM
Arussto
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics

For now - enjoy!

Paul
Has anyone tried it on the Aristo? Or am I going to be first ?
Old 08-14-20, 06:34 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Arussto
Has anyone tried it on the Aristo? Or am I going to be first ?
We've done testing on a number of vehicles. Thanks!