GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2nd GS maintainance referral in NYC area

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 02:35 PM
sirwalnuts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2nd GS maintainance referral in NYC area

Hi ! I love my GS and I need your help!
I live in Brooklyn, NY and every single shop I've visited is tard and absolutely incompetent.
The only issues with my 18 years old gs300 were when aka "mechanics" put their hands on. Even simple things like a brake job - I've been in 7 different shops with great review, and they don't know what they are doing. EVEN Toyota dealer!!!! From putting copper anti seize on caliper guide pins to simply throwing away shim pads. I'm always using OEM or better. Last time I ended up with doing brake job myself, and it works, feels, and sounds (mean no sound) like haven and already has lasted 3 times longer.
I can't have my own lift, so I've paid for changing shocks. Bought Kayaba's and all misc. Like rests, bumpers, seals, nuts, etc.- all OEM. Printed ! out step-by-step instruction with diagrams and all torque specifications. Left very good tips upfront (my bad)
Result -they broke thread on one shocks stud by using gun instead following large warning disclaimer on the package to tight them only by hand. And blamed me for brining counterfeit (they bought me a new one). Failed to follow instructions / ability to read. 2 weeks and 4 visits in shop. All shock installed wrong way (as I discovered after), perform badly, crack, squeaks and click like an old rusty Buick.
And I can go on and on with such examples. I'm tired to be nonjudgmental and give every doofus a chance. I keep my vehicle in proper condition, that cost me a year the same money if would lease a new one.
Please refer me a trusted mechanic, who knows the vehicle and what he is doing. I saw some posts on that matter, but they are too old to be considered. Thank you!!!

Last edited by sirwalnuts; 09-29-20 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-03-20, 10:21 AM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

NYC is a huge area so even though there are thousands of shops out there its hard to find a good mechanic that will take care of your car. Especially if its a older model. Some assume its on its way out so they do the bare minimum if that. Unfortunately, your gonna have to keep looking but try looking outside the 5 boros, just over the county line into Nassau or perhaps Suffok. Or, learn how to do most everything yourself. A option I chose many years ago.