GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering shifter retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-20, 10:59 AM
gs300supra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering shifter retrofit

How hard is it to add the steering shifting to a 98 gs300? I converted my interior to black and the steering wheel has the shifting buttons on it, I also have a complete parts car so I can add all pieces from the crashed parts car just need to know what to swap
Old 10-30-20, 01:10 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

It's really hardly worth the bother. The response time from when you press the button to when the solenoid changes the gear is ridiculously slow. You might as well just reach down and manually shift the console shifter.
Old 11-02-20, 10:50 PM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

The issue is that there is additional logic in the later model ECU and perhaps associated wiring to the transmission to support the e-shift from the steering wheel. So if you go swapping ECUs, you'll be dealing with the immobilizer issue, as well as whatever wiring differences there are on the later model transmissions that support the e-shift.
Old 03-16-21, 07:03 PM
Aussiegs3
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I love how no one answered your question lol
The following users liked this post:
Tank (03-17-21)
Old 03-17-21, 05:09 AM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like post 3 was pointing out things to look at while learning if one really wants to dive in the pool.

As far as wiring goes that should be easy enough to tell by looking at clip at the tranny on both cars and counting the pins. Say your car has 6 pins at the tranny and the donor car 7 or 8 you'll know the comunication between shifter buttons and the tranny took place all the way to the tranny and not stop at a junction under the dash somewhere.

Also sounds like you would need to swap the imobilizer from the donor car and the ecu so that the more modern ecu would know you now have paddles on the wheel as apparently the ecu currently in the car would not know that even exists.

When I was working on Honda Preludes I found that often there were no "how to" articles on what I was hoping to accomplish so I'd gleen all of the information I could from the searches on the web and try it myself and man it was sure satisfying when the feat was accomplished. I'd feel like I'd just invented the BiC lighter or something.

Once all the cuts and scrapes on my hands were no longer bleeding I'd write up a how to at my favorite forum. Then instead of just following along it was like being part of the history. So perhaps try that. You may find that pretty rewarding.
Aussiegs3 (03-17-21)
Old 03-17-21, 08:42 AM
Tank
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Whats up.

Start to look into 01' to 05' GS300 wiring schematics and compare them with 98' to 00' and see what is missing, what was added etc.
For the e-shift option using the A650E transmission, the 2nd gen GS400 had e-shift from 98' to 00'. No such option for the GS300 until the 01' production year when the e-shift option was discontinued from the UZS160 chassis and added to GS300 (JZS160..Not sure if Aristos (JZS161) got the e-shift option).
If you decide to swtich things over you should try to be thorough as it may involve transmission work, and most likely an ECU swap. Again, double check with schematics. It could be just as simple (or as difficult) as adding wires or swapping wiring harnesses.
If an ECU swap is in order you will need to switch the master key transmitter inside the key along with the donor ECU. Each ECU has an embedded security code for the keyless entry. Not sure if its embedded in the ECU itself or the transponder which is located behind the ignition cylinder. Scour the "internets" the info is out there. Be mindful though; if you loose the master key and you dont have a key code for it replacing it will be hell but I believe it is doable.
On a side note, quicker shifting can be achived by manipulation/modification of the trans. valve body but that is a whole nother' mountain of research.

Good Luck
Bykfixer (03-17-21)
Old 03-17-21, 09:48 AM
Aussiegs3
Rookie

[QUOTE=Tank;11014731]Whats up.

Start to look into 01' to 05' GS300 wiring schematics and compare them with 98' to 00' and see what is missing, what was added etc.
For the e-shift option using the A650E transmission, the 2nd gen GS400 had e-shift from 98' to 00'. No such option for the GS300 until the 01' production year when the e-shift option was discontinued from the UZS160 chassis and added to GS300 (JZS160..Not sure if Aristos (JZS161) got the e-shift option).
If you decide to swtich things over you should try to be thorough as it may involve transmission work, and most likely an ECU swap. Again, double check with schematics. It could be just as simple (or as difficult) as adding wires or swapping wiring harnesses.
If an ECU swap is in order you will need to switch the master key transmitter inside the key along with the donor ECU. Each ECU has an embedded security code for the keyless entry. Not sure if its embedded in the ECU itself or the transponder which is located behind the ignition cylinder. Scour the "internets" the info is out there. Be mindful though; if you loose the master key and you dont have a key code for it replacing it will be hell but I believe it is doable.
On a side note, quicker shifting can be achived by manipulation/modification of the trans. valve body but that is a whole nother' mountain of research.

Good Luck[/QUOTE
ive got an 02 gs300 with and Aristo swap no security on the ecu, had to install a kill switch... I’ve got the shifter with M mode on its TRD cluster...
Old 03-17-21, 03:36 PM
firelizard
Forum Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 366 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-your-gs3.html
Old 03-18-21, 02:17 AM
Aussiegs3
Rookie

thanks brother
Old 03-18-21, 08:22 AM
firelizard
Forum Moderator

All I did was search "sport shift". Anyone could have done it at any time.
Old 03-18-21, 08:50 AM
Tank
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

A good place to start but be advised, that thread describes how to make sport shift work for Aristo swaps.
Not what the OP was asking.
Aussiegs3 (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 09:07 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

OP last logged on 4 months ago. Asked "how hard is it." The direct answer is "more trouble than it's worth." But again, since OP may no longer even have the car or be back to consult this community, this thread should probably die with so many other half-baked notions that lead nowhere and fill volumes of space on this forum.
firelizard (03-18-21)
Old 03-22-21, 02:29 AM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleH
OP last logged on 4 months ago. Asked "how hard is it." The direct answer is "more trouble than it's worth." But again, since OP may no longer even have the car or be back to consult this community, this thread should probably die with so many other half-baked notions that lead nowhere and fill volumes of space on this forum.
More touble than it's worth indeed. At the end of the day, the car is still an automatic.
Old 03-22-21, 02:33 AM
Aussiegs3
Rookie

When you wanna be the fastest in the world your gunna need an automatic. Setting this up compared to what else I’ve done is nothing, most of my car is custom made even down to engineering my own brake kit
Originally Posted by Tuanville
More touble than it's worth indeed. At the end of the day, the car is still an automatic.
Old 03-22-21, 06:26 AM
firelizard
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Aussiegs3
When you wanna be the fastest in the world your gunna need an automatic.
lol you're going to need something stronger than an A650 too.

Quick Reply: Steering shifter retrofit