GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need Help - Smoke Screen install

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-03, 05:09 PM
hawk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help - Smoke Screen install

howdy,
I got a 2000 GS400, and I need some advice on wiring a smoke system i'm putting in.

i'm using a small fog machine that has good output. i will be putting it in the trunk, flush against the back of the rear seats, inside a box for proper protection and insulation.

1) how do i get wiring from the battery to the trunk?

2) how do i get wiring from the trunk to the lower storage compartment of the armrest OR how do i get wiring from trunk to the glove box? and which would be easier?

3) what's the best method for getting the smoke out the back (i'll be using a small clear tube/hose from the fog machine to the 'to-be-determined' release point)? should i put the hose through the floor of the trunk? is there a spot there that i could do that with without drilling through? or does anyone have any other ideas on another release location?

thanks
Old 09-16-03, 05:26 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all.... Why in the world are you putting a smoke system in? They may be illegal if you use them on someone following you and they crash their car. You can be liable.

Have you considered a flaming kit from the exhaust? You should consider that as an alternative....plus, they lower your liability factor. LOL!!

Pete
Old 09-16-03, 05:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts
Default Re: Need Help - Smoke Screen install

Originally posted by hawk500sl
howdy,
I got a 2000 GS400, and I need some advice on wiring a smoke system i'm putting in.

i'm using a small fog machine that has good output. i will be putting it in the trunk, flush against the back of the rear seats, inside a box for proper protection and insulation.

1) how do i get wiring from the battery to the trunk?

2) how do i get wiring from the trunk to the lower storage compartment of the armrest OR how do i get wiring from trunk to the glove box? and which would be easier?

3) what's the best method for getting the smoke out the back (i'll be using a small clear tube/hose from the fog machine to the 'to-be-determined' release point)? should i put the hose through the floor of the trunk? is there a spot there that i could do that with without drilling through? or does anyone have any other ideas on another release location?

thanks
When I put in the rear-firing missles and mine system, I just ran the... oh wait, that was my other car.
Old 09-16-03, 05:30 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this for show purposes?
Old 09-16-03, 05:39 PM
hawk
Driver

it's for show purposes and, well, maybe for tailgaters....just a small bit of smoke for at most 1 second just to make them back off

nothing to make them crash....there won't be any oil slicks or road dice for them....i promise....i'm not that nutty...

so, who can help?
Old 09-16-03, 05:58 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I dont mean to offend you on this, but this is one of the most rediculous things I have ever heard. Smoke screen for tailgaters...dude, are you trying to kill someone? I cant stand tailgaters either, but this is not the way to go.
Old 09-16-03, 06:03 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

If the smoke machine runs on 12VDC, then you'd run power to it like you would anything else you were mounting in the trunk (amplifiers, etc.). If it's an AC unit, then you're talking about adding a power inverter.

I have to agree with just about everyone else, though: this reeks of "what was I thinking"...
Old 09-16-03, 10:14 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with everyone, too. This may not be a wise decision...
Old 09-17-03, 08:37 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're really going to do this, it sounds like you should consult an MECP Certified 12-volt installer. Perhaps a car audio installation shop can help you.

It occurred to me that you'll probably need to convert the unit from 120v AC down to 12v DC- for this, you will need an inverter.

If you're not swift with wiring (sounds like you aren't) please have this professionally installed.... or your car will be smoking for a different reason!! Electrical fire = Bad.
Old 09-17-03, 10:31 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This is why I love this place...this has got to be one of the stupidest ideas ever, but if you do it, please post some pics...I am always looking for a laugh!
Old 09-17-03, 12:59 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys....seems like you ALL are holding back your comments on this mod. LMFAO!!

hawk500sl , if you want tailgaters to backoff....just slam on your brakes for no reason....that should do it!!

Seriously though, just change lanes and let them pass.

Pete
Old 09-17-03, 01:03 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

OR

Turn your WindowWasher sideway to spray them with your windshield washer fluid when they pass you!!!
Old 09-17-03, 01:06 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by chuckisc
Turn your WindowWasher sideway to spray them with your windshield washer fluid when they pass you!!!
Man I hate that. Especially right after I wash my car/windows and the car in front spots up my windshield.
Old 09-17-03, 01:10 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

OR

smashed up sparkplugs cerramic? Toss them out side your sunroof, if any of those little pieces land on the guy behind's windshield.... God help him!

OK, All joke aside.... DO NOT TRY THIS @ HOME... Go to your neighbor's house and do it there!

Last edited by chuckisc; 09-17-03 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-17-03, 01:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally posted by chuckisc
OR

Chuck - we think alike.... I always ask a dealer when I'm looking at a new car "how much fluid does the windshield reservoir hold?". I ususally go over the top of the car though - on the highway works best.

Oh... and I found a suitable picture for this thread (this was Dr Rick's old GS)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-17-03 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help - Smoke Screen install