GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My new car? Either an XJR or a GS...help me decide!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-03, 05:21 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default My new car? Either an XJR or a GS...help me decide!!

Well, the time has come to trade in my 160,000 mile 1997 Mark VIII LSC. It has served me well, took to mods excellently (same engine as in Mustang Cobra, more or less). It returns an avg. of 25mpg, and has been as reliable as they come. My choices after doing my homework are a Jaguar XJR or a GS. The vehicle I'm buying will be used. Curiosuly enough, the XJR and the GS line are in the same price bracket when used. Even odder, was the GS300 fetching the same as the 400 series in my area! Strange. AT any rate, here are my unbiased impressions (I've never owned a Jag or a Lex):

-The XJR is easily the most potent of the two...380HP/390TQ!! (V8 SC). The thrust is immediate and huge. It is wickedly fast, and VERY deceptive..it's so QUIET!! A small supercharger whine is perceptible, and unfotunately, the exhaust is barely heard. The GSV8 is fast, but not in the same category (It's less powerful than my warmed over Mark VIII). Some older guy was at the track with his stock XJR, and it turned an impressive 13.61...stock. The GS300 is SMOOTH and very linear...(I've driven both the GS3 and GS4..keeping an open mind). Edge: Jag

-The GS is the quieter of the two...but not by much. If the GS had a blower it would be a tie. Edge: GS

-The interiors are very nicely matched, though the quality of the Jags leather is better, (and the smell of leather is nearly over-powering, even in a used car..strange) and the wood is magnificent. The Lex seems to have slightly more features, perhaps with overall quality a hair better. This one is almost too close to call. Edge: Tie

-The exterior of the Jag is somewhat bland, but it is a timeless classic. Apart from the 18" wheels and the grille insert, the Jag looks like any other XJ series. But the Lexus suffers the same fate.....looks a little too much like an Avalon. The Lexus is a clean look, but just a little to "safe". Edge: Jag

-Handling, while not by a huge margin, goes to the GS. The Jag is a large car, and feels like it, but the 18"s and tuned suspension allows it to handle VERY very well. Because of the 18's, the ride is choppy at times, especially on pavement that isn't billiard smooth. While the GS isn't sportscar-like in handling, it is easier to toss around than the Jag. Around the track, I suspect the Jag would be faster simply because of the immense engine. But around town and on the highway, the GS shines. It is supremely comfortable. The ride is very compliant, absorbing all but the nastiest of bumps. It would be simple to drive cross country in this car and be none worse for wear. It is among the best highway cars I've driven. That's not to say the Jag is bad, beacuse it is very good, but the GS is better. Edge: GS

-Braking..the Jag shines here. It stops VERY fast with it's massive, fade-free brakes. No contest. Edge:Jag

-Reliability: The GS is among the most reliable luxury cars on the planet. The inline 6 of the GS3 is reknowned for its toughness and reliability. The GS4 seems to be nearly as reliable (could use some input here, as I don't know the typical life of the GS4). The Jags are more reliable since Ford starting implementing quality measures since 1997. The engines in the Jag were Nikasil lined, and several of the early 97 and 98's had engines that needed to be replaced because of the quality of the lining. But all in all, I don't believe a Jag will ever touch the GS in terms of being reliable. Gas mileage on the GS4 and GS3 were head and shoulders above the Jag...the Jag has an appetite for premium gas!! Edge: GS by a lanslide

-"Mod-ability" I can't own a car and not tinker with it. The GS aftermarket support in the US is impressive. Much less support for the XJR, but it would need much less tweaking. The engine is a gem, and 40-80HP MORE would be fairly easy to extract, since SC engines love blower porting and a pulley to move things along. Exhaust prices are about the same for both cars. The GS would need, at minimum a supercharger to be on par with the XJR in terms of engine. I REALLY like the GS3 and Nitrous....that engine could hold a 125HP shot will little worry, methinks. Those I-6's are tough, and have been known to hold nearly 700HP on a stock blocks in their Supra cousins. Edge: GS (more parts to work with, but will ned ALOT of parts to match the XJR).

All in all it's a tough decision. I drive many miles a year, and the GS would be a SLIGHTLY more comfortable car to drive daily. The XJR, on the other hand is fast and stops fast. The engine is so impressive, you should really drive one. If it wasn't for the engine of the Jag, the GS would win easily. But, it's tough to call. Please help me decision with some input. Thanks for your time.
Old 09-20-03, 05:30 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would honestly go for the GS, not because I own a GS, but because it's a better car. Granted, I don't have MUCH experience with Jags, but I think that its styling and performance can out-do a Jag.

Also, I have a friend who regularly drives a 98 Honda Accord Sedan and borrowed her friends Jag. She said that she preferred her Accord! This was coming from someone who has no other interest in cars other than getting from point A to point B.

Go for the GS, IMHO.
Old 09-20-03, 07:57 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the input. But how can the GS outperform the Jag in your opinion? The Jag is faster (390HP to the GS4 300HP), has better brakes, and tighter suspension. Did you mean to say the GS has better potential to outperform the Jag? Because stock, the Jag runs circles around the GS for the most part....thanks again for replying..
Old 09-20-03, 08:16 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

If it was between a new XJR and a new GS, i would def pick the XJR bec they are rare cars, 390hp, and great styling. Ur covered by warranty if anything breaks.

But since ur getting it used def go with the GS. I would not take the risk on buying a Jag no matter how fast it is. Plus if mods are important to u there are TONS of them for the GS, especially for the suspension, bodykits, etc. The GS is also more luxurious in terms of having more features and definitely has more quality materials. Most importantly a GS with nice wheels looks much nicer than a XJR.

I think u will have much more fun spending $$$ moding the GS than spending it on fixing various problems on the Jag.
Old 09-20-03, 08:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

RRocket,

One of the "Japanese Cadillac" issues our GS suffers from is a soft pedal feel in the brakes. I've upgraded mine with stainless steel lines and bigger four piston brakes up front and have a MUCH stiffer feel.

Based on your writeup it will come as a surprise to you that the GS has one of the best braking peformances both in and out of it's class. Stock for stock, the stats on braking go to the GS (mushy feel and all)... In magazine tests from 60 - 0, the GS stopping distance is 112 ft , the Jaguar is 115 ft. I'm basing the 112ft on GS400 numbers not a new GS430, but I believe the braking is unchanged.

Other input.... there are LOTS of suspension goodies for the GS to make it handle better. There are less items in the way of performance bolt-ons. Check my signature for the list of goodies I have on mine for both handling and performance, I've got most all of them save forced induction.

Another plus is that the Supra and the GS share many components in common. You can use some higher performance items from the Supra (big brakes, limited slip differential with higher gears ratios). The engine in the GS300 is a close derivative of the Supra engine and takes the addition of forced induction with limited internal changes better than almost any engine out there. (oops, just re-read this thread and you already know this )

Good luck with your decision, hope to see you back with a new GS soon.
Old 09-20-03, 09:38 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XKR all the way. It's a wondeful car that will probaly end up in a museum. Fast as hell to. Way more prestige and get the silverstone 20in. wheels. I love the GS too, I drive one but I base my decisions on these factors right here. (1) Will I be happy every time I drive this car? (2) If both cars where free and parked next to each other, which would I want?

If your not loaded where you can buy a new car every time you get bored with the other then a car is an investment, and a vedry bad investment, so in this case the XKR is a better "bad" investment. The resale will always be higher than the GS.

Do what will bring a smile to your face, not what every one belives is a better car. The best car is the one you like. I love the Viper GTS, but the majority here will love to preach to me how cheap of a car and how unrefined of a car it is. I'm not buying a car for those purposes, I am buying car because it's what I like.
Old 09-20-03, 09:45 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Don't have time to read through the whole thread but I will break it down like this. If the choices were between a '95-'97 XJR, or a '98+ GS4 I would go with the GS4 because the older ones('95-'97 XJR's) used a Supercharged 4.0 six cylinder engine and only had 322hp/ 4-speed automatic transmission.

In '98 the XJR recieved a 370hp V8(basically just a SC'd version of their regular 8) and a 5 speed auto trans. The car runs around 13.7 stock which is almost as fast stock as my '93.5 JZA80(ran 13.6 stock).

So if we are comparing '98+ I say XJR all the way, pre '98 XJR vs. GS400 I'd go with the GS.

Another + on the XJR is it's easier to tune for more power.

BTW RRocket, the '97 Mark VIII LSC is a sweet car, good power and it was the first vehicle ever to come standard with HID's

Last edited by JAC JZS; 09-20-03 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-20-03, 11:12 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Jac and others,

Thanks for the perspectives. The Jag is a 2000. Price is not really a factor, since for whatever reason, the Jag and GS are worth the same used in my area.. But you are right about the prestige with the Jag. As far as the Mark goes, it's a wonderful car. This is an engine that really takes to mods too. My chip was done by a powertrain Eng., and it yielded an impressive 22RWHP. And yes, it had every gadget under the sun too. Neon tallights, LED turn signals in mirror, voice activated phone, air suspension that drops 1" at speed (easy mod to lower your car..just raise the sensor bracket 1", and voila..lowered car!) 290HP V8, HID lights. The works. Definitely a sleeper.

With your basic GS mods (chip, exhaust, pulley if available, gears if available) how fast will the GS run in the 1/4?

Thanks alot for all the replies. Keep them coming!!
Old 09-20-03, 11:37 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Now that I know all of that and now I know price isn't a factor, JAG for sure, expecially if you like 2-doors. I love 2door cars and I really regret not getting one. You know when I went to buy my car I was actually going to buy a drop top Cobra triple blk mustang. Closest thing I could afford until I get my Viper, but I went the same path you are doing now. Everyone told me to get the L bubble. I should have bought the stang. Would have been much happier. To me I would buy the Jag but then again I like 2doors. I guess a SC430 is in my future.
Old 09-20-03, 11:53 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Jag is a 4 door. Here's quick shot of the car.
Attached Thumbnails My new car?  Either an XJR or a GS...help me decide!!-jag1.jpg  
Old 09-21-03, 12:33 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Damn I feel dumb. For the longest I thought we where talking about the XKR .
Still get the Jag. Nicer ride, but you are about to hear alot of people talk about the reliabilty of Toyota and the carefree ownership. Skip that, it's all about what you like. My GS has been to the dealer more than my brother's stang, and my moms Jeep Cherokee.
Old 09-21-03, 03:22 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up '00 XJR

It's true the GS4 is going to be more reliable but you know what, just get an aftermarket warranty on the Jag & have peace of mind. Now that I know you are looking at an '00 I say XJR for sure. Not only is it much faster stock but it can be tuned for more power much easier than the GS400.

Originally posted by RRocket
Jac and others,

Thanks for the perspectives. The Jag is a 2000. Price is not really a factor, since for whatever reason, the Jag and GS are worth the same used in my area.. But you are right about the prestige with the Jag. As far as the Mark goes, it's a wonderful car. This is an engine that really takes to mods too. My chip was done by a powertrain Eng., and it yielded an impressive 22RWHP. And yes, it had every gadget under the sun too. Neon tallights, LED turn signals in mirror, voice activated phone, air suspension that drops 1" at speed (easy mod to lower your car..just raise the sensor bracket 1", and voila..lowered car!) 290HP V8, HID lights. The works. Definitely a sleeper.

With your basic GS mods (chip, exhaust, pulley if available, gears if available) how fast will the GS run in the 1/4?

Thanks alot for all the replies. Keep them coming!!

Last edited by JAC JZS; 09-21-03 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-21-03, 10:46 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

03 XJR starts at $72,495 and 03 GS430 starts at $48,400. If I have $72,495 to spend, I would be compare the XJR with M5 and AMG. I bought my GS4 because I valued reliability higher than just performance alone.
Old 09-21-03, 11:32 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by gs400998
03 XJR starts at $72,495 and 03 GS430 starts at $48,400. If I have $72,495 to spend, I would be compare the XJR with M5 and AMG. I bought my GS4 because I valued reliability higher than just performance alone.
Yeah but we are NOT talking about '03's we're talking about an '00 XJR.

As far as '03's go I'm taking an E55 hands down.
Old 09-21-03, 03:16 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that the Jaguar costs nearly twice as much as the Lexus when new but is worth the same amount three years later should tell you what the marketplace thinks of the two models.

Just another thought: why are you talking about bringing big 4-door sedans to the track?

Quick Reply: My new car? Either an XJR or a GS...help me decide!!