GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new boardie - many questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-03, 05:26 AM
cuts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new boardie

Hello All,

I will be in the Market for GS300 in March of next year ( I know, why wait so long, I have 2points on my license that will be off by then, would like insurance to be low when I buy). Any ways to begin, I would like some advice on where you all think I can get the best deal.

1. Lexus Dealership (should I get PreOwned or does it matter)
2. Private seller (if so, can I purchase any kind of aftermarket warranty on vehicle)
3. Auction ( my uncle goes to auctions every wednesday in connecticut, is this safe (he is a mechanic and my father has does body and spray painting for like 35 years)), what do you all think?
4. Lexus dealership (could I get some aftermarket warranty on these, there prices seem a little cheaper than the lexus dealership)

Another question I have is, what do you all think is the best year gs to get:

I have read that the 1998-2000 had some problem with condensation in headlamps, also read that some cosmetic changes were done to the 2001 model (like different headlamps,grill and rear lights). If you had the money, what would you buy. I am not an expert like you guys, I work hard for my money and I have always wanted a GS, I want to be smart about it, let me know.

Is there a hot color combination that is real popular like, (black exterior and black interior, silver exterior and black exterior). If you were in the market for one, what you want to get, just trying to get some ideas. I like the black exterior or silver exterior.

If you buy a car from private seller that has made a lot of modifications, can you still purchase aftermarket warranty?

Thanks for any input and I hope to learn a lot from you all.
Old 09-22-03, 06:46 AM
cuts
Driver School Candidate

Default yeah

did I say this wrong, no one has responded to my yet.
Old 09-22-03, 07:00 AM
LexFather

Welcome dude. Nothing u said wrong, just that all your questions can be found. Question 1.

1.Well, I prefer CPO but
2.I have a few people that bought GSs from private sellers with no problems.
3.Auctions tend to have some beat up cars but you can find good ones.
4.Just do research on the car and who owned it and maintened it.
No such thing. All are perfect. If u want newer tech, in 2001 you get updated things like NAV, ML system, compass etc. All look identical and run perfect.
I have read that the 1998-2000 had some problem with condensation in headlamps, also read that some cosmetic changes were done to the 2001 model (like different headlamps,grill and rear lights). If you had the money, what would you buy. I am not an expert like you guys, I work hard for my money and I have always wanted a GS, I want to be smart about it, let me know.
Condensation is a problem in some. As a Lexus owner since 1996, it's one of those things I live with.
Is there a hot color combination that is real popular like, (black exterior and black interior, silver exterior and black exterior). If you were in the market for one, what you want to get, just trying to get some ideas. I like the black exterior or silver exterior.
I have pearl white/black interior and to our knowledge, no one else has this combo. Black/black is popular, silver, they all look great. U can get silver with tan/gray or black leather. Black with beige or black.
you buy a car from private seller that has made a lot of modifications, can you still purchase aftermarket warranty?
Not sure, I'd call a warrenty company.

Old 09-22-03, 07:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Cuts,

It's only been a little more than an hour since you posted. Many of our east coast members are at work (monday) and west coast members are still asleep. Give it some time.

Part of the problem in responding is you've got many questions in a single post, so people can't give a quick answer. Many have been asked before as well, I suggest you also try the search feature
Old 09-22-03, 07:08 AM
LexFather

Many of our east coast members are at work (monday)
Yeah, I was this at like 8 something in the morning.
Old 09-22-03, 07:14 AM
cuts
Driver School Candidate

I thought they fixed that condensation problem with the 2001 model, is it really a big deal.
Old 09-22-03, 07:17 AM
LexFather

thought they fixed that condensation problem with the 2001 model, is it really a big deal.
I have not heard of it in the 01-03 models. Many 98-00 owners move up to these lights. The 01+ lights also have a greenish tint that the older ones do not have.
Old 09-22-03, 07:19 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Re: new boardie

Originally posted by cuts
Hello All,

I will be in the Market for GS300 in March of next year ( I know, why wait so long, I have 2points on my license that will be off by then, would like insurance to be low when I buy). Any ways to begin, I would like some advice on where you all think I can get the best deal.

1. Lexus Dealership (should I get PreOwned or does it matter)
2. Private seller (if so, can I purchase any kind of aftermarket warranty on vehicle)
3. Auction ( my uncle goes to auctions every wednesday in connecticut, is this safe (he is a mechanic and my father has does body and spray painting for like 35 years)), what do you all think?
4. Lexus dealership (could I get some aftermarket warranty on these, there prices seem a little cheaper than the lexus dealership)

I assume you meant non-Lexus dealership for #4.... I think you'll find the best deal from a private seller. If price is your primary consideration and you plan on modifying the car, I'd buy from an individual. If you put high value on 'coverage' with a warranty, get a CPO from the dealer, but be prepared to pay an extra 2K+ for that piece of mind. I personally would not buy one from an auction - not worth the risk.

I'd say the best value is a 99. You should figure out if you have to have e-shift or upgraded DVD nav as these two features will drive what model year you buy.

My favorites: Black/Tan, Black/Black, Silver/Black, White/Black
Old 09-22-03, 08:04 AM
cuts
Driver School Candidate

Default coolio

thanks for all the info guys.

To tell you the truth I dont think I am going to be really making any modifications to my vehicle, I am not really interested in DVD player (actually that would be nice to have), but I can do without. What is E-shift ( I can probably do a search and find out nevermind).

So, you think a 99 would be good to get and then just upgrade the HEADLIGHTs, REAR LIGHTS and GRILL. I also want to make sure it has spoiler and 17 inch rims.
Old 09-22-03, 08:38 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Welcome to CL's

Welcome to the board!

Regarding your concern toward the headlight condensation issue. Don't be! Lexus will and will make a deal with you to get you a new headlight replacement, IF your car is still underwarranty (late 99 or 00') for FREE. I got mine replace about 2 weeks ago from $200. Do a search!

Question #4: Non-Lexus dealer - I found my Spectra Blue @ www.carsense.com in perfect condition for a really sweet price.

After market Warranty: NO WAY. If I have to do it all over again, I will bring my car to Lexus dealer and buy its Warranty, since MOST or ALL after market warranty will have the potential of going out of business. (examle: Warranty Gold .com) and take your money to Cayman Island. (personal experience)

If you want a good and beautiful ride, check out this forum's classified section, I know one guy in Brooklyn is selilng his Jade Green GS400 1999 for $20K.... NYCMax is his sn... that's a beautiful car... check it out....

Otherwise, good luck and use the SEARCH box!

Old 09-22-03, 08:48 AM
cuts
Driver School Candidate

coolio.

Will look at 99 or 2000 model to save some cash. I will go to lexus dealership, so I can get CPO (I am big on peace of mind, especially since it has taken me 2 years to save up the money to buy the car). I want black exteriro and tan interior or Silver exterior and black interior. Have to have a spoiler and would nice if it came with 17 inch wheels ( the dealer would probably not sell with car with them). Well thanks for all the advice I'll be looking for next couple of months.

coolio everybody. When I get mine (if everything goes as planned), I'll show picture.
if you have anything else to add, please add.

thanks again.
Old 09-22-03, 08:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Re: coolio

thanks for all the info guys.

To tell you the truth I dont think I am going to be really making any modifications to my vehicle, I am not really interested in DVD player (actually that would be nice to have), but I can do without. What is E-shift ( I can probably do a search and find out nevermind).

So, you think a 99 would be good to get and then just upgrade the HEADLIGHTs, REAR LIGHTS and GRILL. I also want to make sure it has spoiler and 17 inch rims.
Cuts,

Not all GS's have a condensation problem, just some of them. I have had no issues with my 98. Also - not all GSs have HID lights as it was an option in the first couple of years. If you want them, make sure the one you're looking at has 'em.

On the DVD - it isn't a DVD player, it's a difference in 2001+ Navigation systems, should you buy a GS with one. The 98 - 00 Navigation runs off a hard drive. The 01+ runs off a DVD and has a better and larger screen.

Dealer will likely sell the car with whatever OEM wheels it has on it, including 17's.
Old 09-22-03, 09:03 AM
cuts
Driver School Candidate

was there any actual change in BODY from 2000 gs to 2001 gs?
Old 09-22-03, 09:14 AM
cuts
Driver School Candidate

Default yea

sorry for all the question.

How does the lexus extended warranty compare to the CPO warranty.
Could I buy a car that has less than 45,000 miles from another dealership non lexus and then go to lexus dealership and get an extended warranty. Anyone know how much it costs, it would probably work out to be the same anyways..
Old 09-22-03, 09:15 AM
cuts
Driver School Candidate

meant to post this as a reply to my other post. sorry.

Quick Reply: new boardie - many questions