GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-21, 02:58 PM
Struggling
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will not start

I went to go start my 2001 gs300 the other day and it just wouldn't start out of no where. I tried to jump it with cables and nothing happened, so I replaced to fuel pump. Still nothing. I have also replaced the MAFS and spark plugs and still nothing. I can get it to fire while spraying starter fluid but once I stop it boggs down. I feel I'm not getting fuel or maybe it's electrical. I'm not the best with mechanics but I know a little, I just need insight. Maybe someone else has had this problem?
Thank you
Old 05-02-21, 03:10 PM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not to sound like a smarty pants but has one of your neighbors made off with your gasoline? In other words "got fuel"?

When I helped my son change the fuel pump the car cranked and cranked until the battery started sounding weak. He stopped cranking and let it rest a moment or so. Then when cranking resumed he pressed on the accelerator and it fired right up. The fuel line had lost its prime.

Hope you solve it soon.
Old 05-02-21, 03:14 PM
Struggling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bykfixer
Not to sound like a smarty pants but has one of your neighbors made off with your gasoline? In other words "got fuel"?

When I helped my son change the fuel pump the car cranked and cranked until the battery started sounding weak. He stopped cranking and let it rest a moment or so. Then when cranking resumed he pressed on the accelerator and it fired right up. The fuel line had lost its prime.

Hope you solve it soon.
it has plenty of gas. It's shows above 1/4 tank on dash and when I replace fuel pump I could see plenty of fuel in gas tank. It sounds like it wants to fire up and every now and then it almost goes but I don't understand where it's going wrong
Old 05-02-21, 05:37 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 280 Likes on 242 Posts

Every time I let my car sit for too long or the battery dies, it’s really hard to get started again. I have to feather the gas pedal to find the sweet spot. It will run like crap for a minute then the computer takes over and everything goes back smooth
The following users liked this post:
Struggling (05-02-21)
Old 05-02-21, 05:53 PM
bbmach
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

An engine needs three things to run - Air (and we're all still alive so check), Spark (and your engine runs on the starting either, so check), and Fuel. So you're definitely chasing a fuel issue.
Is the check engine light on?
Old 05-02-21, 06:35 PM
Struggling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbmach
An engine needs three things to run - Air (and we're all still alive so check), Spark (and your engine runs on the starting either, so check), and Fuel. So you're definitely chasing a fuel issue.
Is the check engine light on?
the check engine light was on and was throwing a p0101 code so I replaced the MAFS thinking that would magicaly solve it. But still wasn't wanting to stay running.. I loosened the gas line underneath the car to see if it would squirt gas and it did.. I just feel at a loss and can't afford to take it to a shop. I feel it is something simple that I'm over looking. I've already checked all fuses as well
Old 05-02-21, 06:40 PM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This may help
https://www.engine-codes.com/p0101_lexus.html
Struggling (05-02-21)
Old 05-02-21, 09:08 PM
Struggling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bykfixer
Thank you for your help and insight, I really appreciate it. I'll try going threw all my electrical connections and see if I can find anything that's causing a short. I've just never had this big of an issue with getting a car to start after replacing everything that I have so far.
Again thank you
Old 05-11-21, 07:06 AM
Cali760
Driver School Candidate

Default Changed spark plugs & coil packs now wont start

So I recently changed my spark plugs, coil packs, and put new spark plug wires as well. When removing back coil pack i noticed the bolt holding coil pack was not original and is thicker then oem bolt. Turns out the bolt hole is stripped, so someone used a bigger bolt with couple washers to hold old coil pack tight. Now that i put it all back together the car wont start. Had 0 problems before, but needed to smog car for registration so figured tune up wouldn't hurt. Im having trouble getting the back coil pack to tighten completely with the larger bolt being used. Is it possible this is causing it to not start? Its getting spark on top, car wants to start just seems like its not catching the spark it needs. Any help is much appreciated
Old 05-11-21, 07:23 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali760
So I recently changed my spark plugs, coil packs, and put new spark plug wires as well. When removing back coil pack i noticed the bolt holding coil pack was not original and is thicker then oem bolt. Turns out the bolt hole is stripped, so someone used a bigger bolt with couple washers to hold old coil pack tight. Now that i put it all back together the car wont start. Had 0 problems before, but needed to smog car for registration so figured tune up wouldn't hurt. Im having trouble getting the back coil pack to tighten completely with the larger bolt being used. Is it possible this is causing it to not start? Its getting spark on top, car wants to start just seems like its not catching the spark it needs. Any help is much appreciated
If there is a fault on the igniter circuit, the engine computer will automatically cut all fuel to the engine. This generally means that you can crank and crank and crank all you want, but it something isn't right on any part of the igniter circuit, then it will get spark but will get no fuel. In my instance, the previous owner had a coil unplugged. This meant that there was a fault on the circuit, so the computer threw a P1300 (I think thats what it was) and nothing worked until I found the coil was unplugged, once I got it plugged in it ran (albeit not good, the rest of the coils were mismatched onto each separate cylinder, yikes!).
Struggling (06-04-21)
Old 05-12-21, 10:06 AM
Saveth
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the security light flashing with the key in the ignition? Under normal conditions, once the key is inserted into the ignition, the security light will stop flashing and the car will be able to start.