GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What has everyone done when their ABS control module fails

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-21, 07:31 AM
aupanther3
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What has everyone done when their ABS control module fails

My mother-in-law has a 2005 GS 300 with 52,000 miles on it. A few weeks ago the check engine light came on as did the VSC light. I ran codes and the two that came up were O2 sensor and ABS control module. I took it to a local shop and he said a ton of other codes showed up and that the issue is figuring out which issue to deal with first as other codes will clear with the right repair. He suggested I take it to Lexus for a diagnostic check which I will be doing Thursday. I just wanted to see if anyone here has been in a similar situation and what the resolution was. I have been driving the car without issue but will address the issues provided the cost isn't excessive. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-25-21, 07:59 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

ive been driving without it for a year now , all lights on and the car still stops, abs is only usefull in the rain, i think prev owner had it replaced, Mine just might be the abs sensors in the wheels
Old 05-25-21, 08:07 AM
aupanther3
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the reply! Do you also have the CEL as well as the VSC light on as well? Car runs and drives great as well. Thanks again for your reply!
Old 05-25-21, 05:58 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aupanther3
Appreciate the reply! Do you also have the CEL as well as the VSC light on as well? Car runs and drives great as well. Thanks again for your reply!
Fix the o2 sensor code first. The VSC an ABS light will come on after certain o2 codes. It happened to me before.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (10-14-22)
Old 05-25-21, 07:05 PM
firelizard

Received 442 Likes on 350 Posts

the issue is figuring out which issue to deal with first as other codes will clear with the right repair. He suggested I take it to Lexus for a diagnostic check which I will be doing Thursday.
This is the correct course of action.
Old 06-30-21, 09:10 AM
aupanther3
Driver School Candidate

Thanks shwalker07 and firelizard. Got around to replacing the O2 sensor which took care of all the codes, CEL and VSC light. $20 for the sensor, $8 for the socket and 30 minutes of labor. This is why I love these forums.
The following 2 users liked this post by aupanther3:
firelizard (06-30-21), QLex300 (12-25-21)
Old 07-02-21, 04:53 AM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I never have understood why these cars are setup where when your o2 sensor or catalytic convertor fall out of spec the traction control deactivates.

It's like some cruel joke to scare an unsuspecting owner into thinking since the CEL is lit, let's just cause them to think the car is going to slip and slide in the rain. Or worse, may actually cause the car to skid at one of those times when the car in front of you goes 45-0 in 1.5 seconds……yikes!! All because the cat is at 94% efficiency instead of 95?

Does that mean that when my o2 sensor gets dirty my GS300 can drift like those crooked hat wearing rich kids in NASCAR do?

I really like these cars a lot but that causes me to think some Ford Pinto designer came out of retirement to work on Lexus cars. And 3 catalytic convertors on the exhaust of an inline 6 cylinder engine?

I'm just joking, but when my cat caused a cel resulting in my traction control becoming deactivated I thought "now that just don't make sense"… I get the limp mode where my car could no longer go "zoom" yet now it can go "skkrrrrr" as a result?

aupanther3 (07-02-21)
Old 07-02-21, 05:11 AM
aupanther3
Driver School Candidate

Quote of the year: I really like these cars a lot but that causes me to think some Ford Pinto designer came out of retirement to work on Lexus cars.
Yri (07-02-21)
Old 07-02-21, 06:09 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Bykfixer
I never have understood why these cars are setup where when your o2 sensor or catalytic convertor fall out of spec the traction control deactivates.

It's like some cruel joke to scare an unsuspecting owner into thinking since the CEL is lit, let's just cause them to think the car is going to slip and slide in the rain. Or worse, may actually cause the car to skid at one of those times when the car in front of you goes 45-0 in 1.5 seconds……yikes!! All because the cat is at 94% efficiency instead of 95?

Does that mean that when my o2 sensor gets dirty my GS300 can drift like those crooked hat wearing rich kids in NASCAR do?

I really like these cars a lot but that causes me to think some Ford Pinto designer came out of retirement to work on Lexus cars. And 3 catalytic convertors on the exhaust of an inline 6 cylinder engine?

I'm just joking, but when my cat caused a cel resulting in my traction control becoming deactivated I thought "now that just don't make sense"… I get the limp mode where my car could no longer go "zoom" yet now it can go "skkrrrrr" as a result?
I never understood this either. If the O2 sensor is bad, just put the CEL on and nothing else. I suppose limp mode is something that goes for everything though, so it's similar to if the ABS module fails, then ABS/VSC/TC is no longer safe to operate, it shuts it off. So, instead of adding separate limp modes, they just add one, if that makes sense.

Also you should put that quote in your signature, lol.
Old 10-13-22, 09:38 PM
GS300ENTHU
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yri
I never understood this either. If the O2 sensor is bad, just put the CEL on and nothing else. I suppose limp mode is something that goes for everything though, so it's similar to if the ABS module fails, then ABS/VSC/TC is no longer safe to operate, it shuts it off. So, instead of adding separate limp modes, they just add one, if that makes sense.

Also you should put that quote in your signature, lol.
I'm going through the exact same thing. All the wheel speed sensors are good yet the abs goes berserk and puts my car in limp mode with a blinking traction light. The codes that pop up is Open/Short circuit coming from EVERYTHING. The specific code says ABS actuator so I'm not sure if that's the whole assembly or a pump that's connected to a computer.
Old 10-14-22, 03:14 AM
QLex300
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aupanther3
My mother-in-law has a 2005 GS 300 with 52,000 miles on it. A few weeks ago the check engine light came on as did the VSC light. I ran codes and the two that came up were O2 sensor and ABS control module. I took it to a local shop and he said a ton of other codes showed up and that the issue is figuring out which issue to deal with first as other codes will clear with the right repair. He suggested I take it to Lexus for a diagnostic check which I will be doing Thursday. I just wanted to see if anyone here has been in a similar situation and what the resolution was. I have been driving the car without issue but will address the issues provided the cost isn't excessive. Thanks in advance for any help.
Hi
I had the VSC light on and t was my left wheel sensors *(replaced and fine now)*
My check engine light was on knowing the exhaust was the original and need to be replaced.
I still have the check engine light but ordered 02 sensor from Rockauto and will replaced the B1, S1 sensor..

Was really surprised how much of a difference the car has with just the stock exhaust replaced, hopefully the 02 sensor will a make a difference as well.