GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Suspension replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-21, 09:40 PM
kaang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension replacement

Hey guys, new member here. I just have a question about my 98 GS400. I lost traction the other day and bumped my right rear wheel against a curb, bending it. However, after taking a look at the control arms and linkages, they don't look bent, but that might just be me. Do I only need to replace the knuckle, or is there something else I should fix?

Old 06-01-21, 04:17 AM
Gosser
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kaang
Hey guys, new member here. I just have a question about my 98 GS400. I lost traction the other day and bumped my right rear wheel against a curb, bending it. However, after taking a look at the control arms and linkages, they don't look bent, but that might just be me. Do I only need to replace the knuckle, or is there something else I should fix?
The control arms will give before the knuckle does. Does the car still track straight? When I slammed my Audi into a curb in the winter, it could not stay straight past any speed. I bent the subframe bolts, some control arms and kept the knuckle, I also replaced the axel just in case. You most likely will not visually see the bend in the control arms unless its really bad. Honestly I havent even taken it back to get aligned yet since I need to replace the other eccentric bolt. But it drives straight light it should now.
Subframe bolts:

Before:
Old 06-01-21, 05:42 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

You should start by replacing the rim and have the alignment checked if there are no other visual issues. If the camber and tow can be brought in with the factory bolts/arms you're good. Or at least matched to the other side since I see you have coilovers. If it's out, you will get recommendations from the technician. You may need a bearing replacement if you hear grinding noises after the hit too.
Old 06-01-21, 06:20 AM
kaang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
You should start by replacing the rim and have the alignment checked if there are no other visual issues. If the camber and tow can be brought in with the factory bolts/arms you're good. Or at least matched to the other side since I see you have coilovers. If it's out, you will get recommendations from the technician. You may need a bearing replacement if you hear grinding noises after the hit too.
I'm picking up a set of new rims this week, I had a blowout yesterday on the rear right. That's what the alignment looks like now. Thankfully, there's no grinding noises when I drive so it seems like my bearing is still good. I just want to make sure I know what I need since I'm on a super tight budget and parts aren't super common for the JZS platform, especially used parts.

Old 06-01-21, 06:37 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

That looks really bad. There must be something bent.. No surprise the tire blew out. It's scrubbing hard.
Old 06-01-21, 08:57 AM
kaang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
That looks really bad. There must be something bent.. No surprise the tire blew out. It's scrubbing hard.
Yeah, it's my daily and with the taller spare on right now i'm probably driving at a ~20-30° angle right now. I've been trying to find out what parts i'm going to need to buy but everything looks relatively straight. I'm going to try and mess with the toe link when I replace the wheels, hopefully that helps a little bit for now.
Old 06-01-21, 03:08 PM
firelizard

Received 458 Likes on 362 Posts

There's only one way to find out what parts you need and that's by inspecting your vehicle. We can't just guess from here, especially if you don't want to waste money throwing parts at it randomly.