GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

my diy chrome grille story

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-03, 03:20 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy my diy chrome grille story

After doing a bit of research on CL I decided to do the ol' DIY chrome grille bit. I got my equipment in accordance to some posts here: gel-type circa 1850 paint remover, a toothbrush, q-tips, toothpicks, towels, you get the point. My project was a tad too ambitious, I wanted to go with the "ghetto" full chrome grille. Taking the advice of my predecessors I slapped the shiat on and got to work. After probably 8-10 gruelling hours over 2 days I got as far as the job could take me. I now have a mostly chrome grille. The fronts of the fins look beautiful. The insides look dirty and in some areas the chrome chipped and bubbled off and revealed ugly white plastic. I've done the best I could do with it given my initial goal, and will live with it for now, but I feel I should share my experience with you fellas.

My advice: If you're going to take this route with your grille, just remove the paint from the fronts of the fins and leave the rest.

Anyone know where I can get a 2001+ chrome grille cheap?
Old 09-28-03, 03:23 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: my diy chrome grille story

Originally posted by Lubs
After doing a bit of research on CL I decided to do the ol' DIY chrome grille bit. I got my equipment in accordance to some posts here: gel-type circa 1850 paint remover, a toothbrush, q-tips, toothpicks, towels, you get the point. My project was a tad too ambitious, I wanted to go with the "ghetto" full chrome grille. Taking the advice of my predecessors I slapped the shiat on and got to work. After probably 8-10 gruelling hours over 2 days I got as far as the job could take me. I now have a mostly chrome grille. The fronts of the fins look beautiful. The insides look dirty and in some areas the chrome chipped and bubbled off and revealed ugly white plastic. I've done the best I could do with it given my initial goal, and will live with it for now, but I feel I should share my experience with you fellas.

My advice: If you're going to take this route with your grille, just remove the paint from the fronts of the fins and leave the rest.

dam sorry that happen, i heard that could happen if u leave it 2 long..but i agree it looks better imo with just the front of the fins chromed..
Old 09-28-03, 04:32 PM
wilassasin
Driver

1st of all a full chrome grille is not "GHETTO". Anyway, I have a 2001 chrome grille and it looks better than any other GS grille i've ever seen, people stare at it because it looks so classy on the crystal white paint, and adds an extra touch 2 the 20inchs chrome shoes....
Old 09-28-03, 09:02 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

i used laquer thinner and a sock to rub the paint of just the outer part of the fins. absolutely no problems..infact, bluelex recommended the thinner as opposed to the paint remover.

took about 2 hours...and made my fingers feel like sandpaper srubbed them
Attached Thumbnails my diy chrome grille story-pictures-006.jpg  
Old 09-29-03, 01:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha that's what i did, just did the front i think that looks a lot better
Old 09-29-03, 01:40 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

If no chrome came off the tops of the fins, you can just repaint the whole thing black again and then wipe off the paint from the tops of the fins so it looks like Koreanpers. If you still don't like it you could just repaint it again so it looks stock until you can find a fully chromed grill.
Old 09-29-03, 04:47 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally posted by wilassasin
1st of all a full chrome grille is not "GHETTO".
I don't think it's ghetto either, I was quoting someone in one of the old DIY chrome grille threads. I wouldn't have tried for full chrome if I really thought it was ghetto.

koreanpers - I'll try to further clean it up with laquer thinner. It's not looking that bad, it just looks dirty from some angles.

I thought about painting the inside of the fins, but just the back half past the ridge. It's something to consider, but I'm not to gung-ho about the idea right now.

Thanks for the replies and your pity.
Old 09-29-03, 10:26 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think it's ghetto either, I was quoting someone in one of the old DIY chrome grille threads. I wouldn't have tried for full chrome if I really thought it was ghetto.

koreanpers - I'll try to further clean it up with laquer thinner. It's not looking that bad, it just looks dirty from some angles.

I thought about painting the inside of the fins, but just the back half past the ridge. It's something to consider, but I'm not to gung-ho about the idea right now.

Thanks for the replies and your pity.
Yea, the laquer thinner worked really good for me. it takes a little patience..but it works great. Just put some on a sock. Rub it on...and then you will start to notice the paint start to come off. u can use more laquer thinner and/or use your finger nail to remove it.
Attached Thumbnails my diy chrome grille story-pictures-007.jpg  
Old 09-29-03, 12:06 PM
Paradise
Rookie

Same story with me. I live in the UK though so havent access to the products you have in the USA. I tried a few UK strippers / grafitti removers ect. The front of each grill came off like a dream, but it was time consuming. I melted 3 toothbrushes and 2 pairs of industrial gloves, the fumes were giveing me an awful throat (I then used a vapour mask) then finally after 3 nights scrubbing away until late I gave up and although it looks chrome all over from a meter or 2 away, inside between the grill is a lot of gunge I couldn;t scrape out, and I tried allsorts of tools, beleive me! Next time Id rather pay the $200+ for a chrome grill. It turned into a horrible chore and headache.
Old 09-29-03, 08:25 PM
roller400
Rookie

Default Re: my diy chrome grille story

I had a similar experience, I was lazy and just piled on the jasco and let it sit. I think the back turns like ugly white plastic because the back isn't chromed, I think it is just paint. The paint stripper pretty much melted the entire back.. I need to get a Lsportline grill now.
Old 09-30-03, 08:52 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was lucky for not doing the whole grill but only the front after found out that it took much of the rubbing to reveal the chrome. I used acetone and it seemed to work OK, except that my thumb ... ouch ouch.