GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Missing Manual Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-21 | 06:41 PM
2jTony
Driver School Candidate

Default Missing Manual Mode

Wassup, i got a 01’ gs300 with the manual mode and recently i rebuilt the engine because of some valve issues. when i was finishing up on the process of putting the motor and trans back in i noticed a few things, my shift linkage sits too far back and won’t line up with my shifter and another thing is when selecting what drive i want to be in whether it’s neutral park reverse etc. my manual mode is completely skipped like if it wasn’t even there to begin with. hopped on here hoping someone could help me out in anyway.
Old 08-21-21 | 06:50 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

It can be a little tricky to reattach the shift selector to the linkage. U will need to shift it down into 1st gear or whatever and even try forcing it a bit further over to get the linkage to slip I to the slot where it needs to line up. Once it’s there and u bolt it down it should be fully functional when you move it back up to park. There is a rubber boot that can be tricky to correctly install before bolting the selector down. I didn’t do it correctly initially and had the problems your describing along with some clunking noises. I found that there was 3 little rubber nubs that you need to feed into pin holes in the bottom of the selector and then give em a good tug till they catch in place and make it easy to reassemble it.
This is just the solution I found when I had this problem. If you have already got this done correctly then not sure what else could be the cause
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (08-22-21)
Old 08-21-21 | 08:02 PM
2jTony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dwoods801
It can be a little tricky to reattach the shift selector to the linkage. U will need to shift it down into 1st gear or whatever and even try forcing it a bit further over to get the linkage to slip I to the slot where it needs to line up. Once it’s there and u bolt it down it should be fully functional when you move it back up to park. There is a rubber boot that can be tricky to correctly install before bolting the selector down. I didn’t do it correctly initially and had the problems your describing along with some clunking noises. I found that there was 3 little rubber nubs that you need to feed into pin holes in the bottom of the selector and then give em a good tug till they catch in place and make it easy to reassemble it.
This is just the solution I found when I had this problem. If you have already got this done correctly then not sure what else could be the cause
thanks for the response!!
Yeah i noticed the boot was a little tricky but the issue is that whether it be in park or 1st the link coming from the trans still seems to be further back towards the exhaust in comparison to the linkage on the shifter like about an inch i would say. so bolting it down would automatically position it in the higher gear so putting it in park and attaching it would throw it into reverse. as for the manual mode not being registered i’m not sure what it could be atp.
Old 08-21-21 | 09:06 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Do you think maybe the linkage could be out of sync with the selector? Like maybe when u removed it, u had it in 1 and then reinstalled and the trans was in P or something? It seems like the only way to unhook the linkage is by putting in the lowest gear possible and to reattach it, it has to go back into low again. But if somehow the trans was in a higher gear, they would be outta sync. And if u rebuilt the trans, it would be very easy to change the gear it was In in when it was removed. Just talking thru some thoughts, I haven’t had my trans out of my car, so maybe what I am suggesting isn’t possible?
The 2nd issue involves the M mode? If you notice the way the shift lever moves thru thru forward gears that it only moves sideways in 2 spots, the D to M is sideways and the 2 to 1 is sideways. So those 2 positions don’t change the linkage in anyway. When going sideways it’s actually using an electric switch that just changes the program that trans is using. So if your not getting the manual operation, it is likely an issue with how that switch operates. It’s been a few years since I had mine apart. I have an old one around my garage somewhere. I will locate and familiarize myself with the operation and post any insight I may learn, that could help you figure it out

Last edited by dwoods801; 08-21-21 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-21-21 | 11:57 PM
2jTony
Driver School Candidate

Do you think maybe the linkage could be out of sync with the selector? Like maybe when u removed it, u had it in 1 and then reinstalled and the trans was in P or something? It seems like the only way to unhook the linkage is by putting in the lowest gear possible and to reattach it, it has to go back into low again. But if somehow the trans was in a higher gear, they would be outta sync. And if u rebuilt the trans, it would be very easy to change the gear it was In in when it was removed. Just talking thru some thoughts, I haven’t had my trans out of my car, so maybe what I am suggesting isn’t possible?
The 2nd issue involves the M mode? If you notice the way the shift lever moves thru thru forward gears that it only moves sideways in 2 spots, the D to M is sideways and the 2 to 1 is sideways. So those 2 positions don’t change the linkage in anyway. When going sideways it’s actually using an electric switch that just changes the program that trans is using. So if your not getting the manual operation, it is likely an issue with how that switch operates. It’s been a few years since I had mine apart. I have an old one around my garage somewhere. I will locate and familiarize myself with the operation and post any insight I may learn, that could help you figure it out
when it comes to selector i get what you’re saying but the thing is if i put the trans itself in neutral , park, etc. and the shifter at the matching selection and attempt to bolt the linkage from the trans onto linkage from the shifter it remains too far back and won’t allow for the bolt to slip in and if forced in then the shifter would stay at the selected marking while the trans goes up one. for example: if i aligned them in reverse and force the bolt in, the shifter would stay in reverse but the trans would go up and read park. after i noticed this i removed the shifter assembly and examined it and everything lines up as it should and was functioning properly and i also replaced the linkage coming from the trans hoping it would fix it but it didn’t change anything.
when it comes to the manual mode response i wanna guess since it’s more of a electric switch since my drive gear is in the reverse section it would make sense that the car wouldn’t register it properly since it’s not in its regular position. ill test and put the trans in drive without being connected to the shifter and move the shifter to the drive section freely and see if it’ll register it.

Thanks for the response and the help!!
Old 08-22-21 | 02:24 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

I had some problems with my selector several years ago, and had to replace it. It was a frustrating affair to get it all fixed and reassembled correctly. I usually don’t answer unless I am confident I know what I am talking about. But I know I was ultimately able to get it straightened out with some patients. I do remember that one key solution to getting it back together was the low gear. Usually a transmission linkage assembly is a lever and then cable, and it moves right down the line like the same as the shifter. This linkage seemed to operate by an unusual motion with some pivots that made it hard to predict how it worked. That was where I focused my energy to get it back together. Your linkage hasn’t shrunk or anything so it’s got to just be positioned wrong somehow, maybe something didn’t get it installed or something is backwards or something. I can take a picture of mine for you, if you think it’ll be useful for reference?
Old 08-22-21 | 09:29 AM
2jTony
Driver School Candidate

I had some problems with my selector several years ago, and had to replace it. It was a frustrating affair to get it all fixed and reassembled correctly. I usually don’t answer unless I am confident I know what I am talking about. But I know I was ultimately able to get it straightened out with some patients. I do remember that one key solution to getting it back together was the low gear. Usually a transmission linkage assembly is a lever and then cable, and it moves right down the line like the same as the shifter. This linkage seemed to operate by an unusual motion with some pivots that made it hard to predict how it worked. That was where I focused my energy to get it back together. Your linkage hasn’t shrunk or anything so it’s got to just be positioned wrong somehow, maybe something didn’t get it installed or something is backwards or something. I can take a picture of mine for you, if you think it’ll be useful for reference?
I think a picture would be a great help so i can sort of see where mine is wrong. today i’ll try and put it in the lowest gear and see if it’ll align itself somehow.
Old 08-22-21 | 03:43 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Happy to provide anything that could help out. I am trying to bank up enough good karma to carry me to the grave without anymore of the bad voodoo that has followed so close up til this point in life
Old 08-23-21 | 04:17 AM
2jTony
Driver School Candidate

Update on the situation. I make a bracket out of an old piece if metal i had laying around and basically used it as a spacer to push the bolt for the shifter linkage inline with the linkage coming from the trans itself. i got all my gears aligned and manual mode working again. this is only temporary until i can cut and weld the linkage to the appropriate length. i suspect it has something to do with the bolt coming from the trans that goes through the parking sensor not sure what exactly but since every part is replaced other than that its the only likely option.
Old 08-23-21 | 06:02 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Hit up a wrecking yard and source a replacement for whatever isn’t cutting it, and it’ll give a look at how it’s supposed to look and operate. Might figure out what happened. I got tied up all day yesterday, but the sun is coming up now. I will get you the pictures I offered the other night. I am cheering for you to get this straightened out and understand what caused the issue.