GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Audio Off Issue on 01 GS 430 non ML....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-21, 09:30 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Audio Off Issue on 01 GS 430 non ML....

Hi and many thanks for any ideas ahead.
My 01 GS 430 with no ML shows only Audio Off on the Nav Screen. What i did already:
-used the search function extensively, checked all fuses that were mentioned there, also the dome fuse. checked the fuses with a multimeter.
-checked fuses, with no findings.
-removed the radio and disassembled, no findings. all capacitors look fine, measured the on switch with a multimeter, fine.
-removed amplifier and replaced with a used one, no help
-removed and inspected cd changer and harness, found only that the shielded ground on 2 connectors on the amp and cd changer lost some braids, but it is still intact.

is there anything i can do to check if the radio is the issue? i have the troubleshooting from the lexus manual, but haven`t exactly measured all contacts, as i am rather suspecting the radio. or is there any relay that may have failed? i have also disconnected the battery multiple times with no help.

thanks
Old 10-15-21, 10:20 AM
CurlyG
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Can you post a photo of the navigation showing "Audio Off"? I'm not sure if your 01 GS430 has the same navigation unit as my '00 GS400, but I didn't use that system long before replacing it with a modern system, so I'm not too familiar with what went wrong. Could you also describe the condition, like "I want to play the radio, but with "Audio Off", there is no volume, controls, etc. And when I press the ???, it should say "Audio On", which then displays ??? and enables ??? to happen".
Old 10-16-21, 08:42 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is the screen i get, when i push the audio button. none of the radio buttons respond. also no sound if i select tape, disc or the others.
Old 10-16-21, 11:07 AM
CurlyG
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi Brian (hehe),
You Nav/Radio/HVAC touchscreen unit is a bit different than mine. Almost identical, but yours has a few more buttons. I would send you mine to test and use if it were the same.
Here is the troubleshooting process from the factory manual, if it helps:

1. Radio: RADIO NOT OPERATING WHEN POWER SWITCH TURNED TO "ON"
  • Is the tape player operating normally: Yes, Radio Assembly Fault
  • Check if RAD-No.2 fuse is OK? NG, Replace Fuse
  • Is power supplied to ACC terminal of power amplifier? No, ACC wire harness faulty
  • Check if RAD-No.1 fuse is OK? NG, replace fuse
  • Is power supplied to +B terminal of power amplifier? No, +B wire harness faulty
  • Check if GND (wire harness side) of power amplifier grounded normally? NG, GND faulty
  • Is power supplied to ACC terminal of radio assembly? No, Power amplifier or ACC wire harness faulty
  • Is power supplied to +B terminal of radio assembly? No, Power amplifier or +B wire harness faulty
  • Check if GND (wire harness side) to radio assembly is OK? NG, GND faulty
  • Radio assembly faulty.
Other useful points:
  • The audio system connects via an AVC-LAN (Radio-Amplifier-CD Changer)
  • This Audio Off problem may trigger and store a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code). You can pull this code using a "Lexus Handheld Tester", or by leasing Toyota Techstream for a day (it's like $15/day, and you'll need an appropriate OBDII-USB cable, Windows PC/Laptop)

I'm sure you already know your options, and have a preferred solution. However, let me share my experience replacing this unit with a modern radio system:
  • I thought at first that I couldn't replace the fancy factory Nav/Radio/HVAC touchscreen, because I would lose my HVAC control, but that assumption was wrong. That fancy unit was an option that year, and the non-fancy unit option had a separate, standalone HVAC controller, which was plug-and-play (the HVAC plug the fit the fancy unit also fit the separate unit, which makes sense).
  • I found this separate, standalone HVAC controller on eBay for cheap, and yes, it was plug-and-play. I did open it up and swap out the incandescent lights with LED's, as some of the bulbs were burnt out. The LED's were a bit brighter (I liked this).
  • I found a plastic double-din adapter/trim piece on amazon that adapted the double din stereo to the factory opening and screw holes. The front surfaces of the adapter can easily be painted to match the interior. I skinned mine with burled walnut veneer, which was not easy.

The following users liked this post:
brainsurge (10-16-21)