GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs300 piggyback ecu choices?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-21, 06:06 PM
duncanm
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gs300 piggyback ecu choices?

I have a 2003 gs300 that I am currently looking to get a piggyback ecu for. I want some tunability and to try to get around having a MAF. I want to go ITB with my intake but the MAF is in the way of that. I am currently looking into a Greddy e-management ultimate as a possible choice but I can稚 tell how limited that is. This car is a daily so I want all the stock interior stuff to still work hence the piggyback and not full standalone. I have seen some other posts but I can稚 get a clear answer on how to work around the MAF.
Old 11-24-21, 12:17 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 209 Posts

When talking a piggyback and not a standalone, the choice is clear. The Apex段 AFC NEO is the clear top option to go with any/all 2GS. The only other option that people seem to use would be the more affordable but not as functional Apex段 SAFCO 2 just a analog version. If you look in the how-to-section, you値l find instructions to wire yourself. So u can save a few bucks and skip the boomslang. The Apex段 will allow you to adjust multiple parameters, monitor all the engine functions and you値l find it fits perfectly into the center ashtray. So u have good access and can easily hide it away quickly if u ever need to.
Old 11-24-21, 07:18 AM
firelizard

Received 455 Likes on 360 Posts

An AFC is not going to allow them to delete the MAF and run ITBs.
Old 11-24-21, 07:43 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 209 Posts

Ya, I must have overlooked that was his plan. Clearly a stand alone is in order if he is essentially replacing the entire air and fuel delivery methods. I have seen ITB set-ups for the 1UZ, but don稚 recall seeing anything like that run on the 2JZ before. I would think whoever is putting that setup together would have planned it with a stand alone in mind that will be ideal.
Old 11-24-21, 06:46 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Its a bad idea. As firelizard said, you can't bypass the MAF. Also it seems people always have the problem of the o2 sensors talking over and correcting for any adjustments made. The Greddy e-manage is every tuners most hatted unit to deal with. Real pain in the butt system. The AEM infinity ecu is expensive, but is both a stand alone and piggy back sort of setup. It still uses the OEM computer for some things and allows all the factory stuff to work still while having full tune-ability. There aren't really any viable cheap options. The boomslang harness is nice, but they did mess up a few things for the VVT engine we have that I had to correct. The harness was made for the non VVT engine in the supra, however it plugs in and works for everything in our cars but VVT. Also not pinned for a boost controller which I found ridiculous as anyone buying the setup is no-***** gonna be boosting. But thats a rant for another time. Anyways, ITB's would be "IMO" a sad letdown in gains vs cost and effort. Don't do it.