GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bump steer anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 10:40 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 179 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Bump steer anyone?

Just curious if everyone’s GS does this? I damn near replaced everything except the steering rack and I heard it can cause a wandering steering. I’m going to replace with new oem bushings but the problem i have is very minor after getting new tires. But if I go over a crowned road or uneven pavement you can feel the car slightly move that way and I have to correct the steering. Some cars track straight even on crowned road, I’m thinking it’s just part of the old school RWD or maybe my rack bushings or rack itself could be worn. If I’m going slow in the streets it’s not that bad but on the highway it is worse.
Old 04-04-22, 06:02 PM
firelizard
Forum Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 366 Posts

Bump steer is when your toe angle changes under compression enough to feel a change in direction. It is not an innate problem of these cars in stock form. But yes, if your rack bushings are worn it can definitely cause imprecise steering. As far as how normal it is to wander off the crown of the road... it's pretty normal. Some cars will self-center more than others, yeah. Nothing do with being RWD, just a matter of suspension geometry. Tendency to follow grooves can vary a lot from car to car as well, depending on a number of factors. A car that is designed to have responsive steering is going to, of course, give the driver more feedback through the wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by firelizard:
QLex300 (04-05-22), Yri (04-05-22)
Old 04-05-22, 10:48 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by firelizard
Bump steer is when your toe angle changes under compression enough to feel a change in direction. It is not an innate problem of these cars in stock form. But yes, if your rack bushings are worn it can definitely cause imprecise steering. As far as how normal it is to wander off the crown of the road... it's pretty normal. Some cars will self-center more than others, yeah. Nothing do with being RWD, just a matter of suspension geometry. Tendency to follow grooves can vary a lot from car to car as well, depending on a number of factors. A car that is designed to have responsive steering is going to, of course, give the driver more feedback through the wheel.
True, the GS does have very sensitive steering. I think I remember someone told me the GS is designed with some type of steering column reinforcement which picks up the vibrations and enhances the “road feel”. It’s very apparent if you drive another car right after. I will start with rack bushings. I just can’t help but wonder if a new rack and pinion would make the steering like new. The shaking and loose steering at around 65 mph is very annoying. On my last GS that was solved with getting my rims repaired but the shop told me my rims were fine
Old 04-05-22, 06:31 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

It's probably a combination of your rack bushings and suspension geometry. To be fair, since I got my GS I've always felt the steering wasn't sensitive enough. The steering ratio just seems so long compared to the other cars I have owned, though the steering feel is unparalleled
Old 04-06-22, 06:50 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yri
It's probably a combination of your rack bushings and suspension geometry. To be fair, since I got my GS I've always felt the steering wasn't sensitive enough. The steering ratio just seems so long compared to the other cars I have owned, though the steering feel is unparalleled
oh I didn’t mean sensitive in that sense I meant sensitive to road imperfections. I think the rack bushings will help a lot it makes sense if Lexus actually sells them they need to be replaced after a while
The following users liked this post:
Yri (04-06-22)
Old 04-08-22, 07:10 PM
CurlyG
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

The issue you are having sounds like tram tramlining, not bump steer. You may need an alignment, or perhaps the tread on your tires is aggressive. You can also check for loose suspension components by lifting the front end, so the front tires come up off of the ground. Then grab a tire and try turning it forward/backward, then up/down. Any movement/noise is an indication of worn components, such as the 3 ball joints in each side (left/right), wheel bearings, etc.
Is your suspension stock?
QLex300 (04-10-22)
Old 04-09-22, 08:15 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CurlyG
The issue you are having sounds like tram tramlining, not bump steer. You may need an alignment, or perhaps the tread on your tires is aggressive. You can also check for loose suspension components by lifting the front end, so the front tires come up off of the ground. Then grab a tire and try turning it forward/backward, then up/down. Any movement/noise is an indication of worn components, such as the 3 ball joints in each side (left/right), wheel bearings, etc.
Is your suspension stock?
definitely nothing worn except the steering rack bushings which I’m going to replace this week. Hopefully that solves it. I was thinking it’s the tires. Continental extreme contact DWS plus. Definitely an aggressive tread. If it’s not better after rack bushings and another alignment I will call tire rack. It just sucks because there are no better tires in my stock 16” size. Michelin sold out and all they have is Yokohama or Goodyear eagle. I love the tires otherwise. They handle bumps good. The only problem is they like to follow grooves in the road and uneven pavement can move the steering wheel.
Old 04-09-22, 10:56 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Do you think having brand new front tires and rear tires with 15k on them even though they still have plenty of tread can cause this? More rubber on the front so the front might be sitting slightly higher then the rear with less rubber
Old 04-09-22, 05:21 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

That alone won't really cause an issue. What could cause an issue is tire pressures. If the rear pressure is lower than the front by a significant amount, it will cause a sort of sloshy, tramlining feel. If you go too high it can also cause a similar effect, like the car is floating.
QLex300 (04-10-22)
Old 04-09-22, 06:49 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yri
That alone won't really cause an issue. What could cause an issue is tire pressures. If the rear pressure is lower than the front by a significant amount, it will cause a sort of sloshy, tramlining feel. If you go too high it can also cause a similar effect, like the car is floating.
psi is good I always check it. It’s really only bad like on the NJ turnpike the roads are very crowned, other then that it doesn’t bother me much. Hopefully steering rack bushings help. Only thing I didn’t change yet
The following 2 users liked this post by DMPesso:
QLex300 (04-10-22), Yri (04-10-22)
Old 04-10-22, 09:24 AM
QLex300
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
psi is good I always check it. It’s really only bad like on the NJ turnpike the roads are very crowned, other then that it doesn’t bother me much. Hopefully steering rack bushings help. Only thing I didn’t change yet
Yea, some of NJ roads

Last edited by QLex300; 04-10-22 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-11-22, 11:51 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Did OEM rack bushings today. Completely took away the loose steering at 65+ and the bump steer over uneven roads.