GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

NOT a GS Owner - Yet

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-22, 10:44 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 179 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven01750
Shipping fees are through the roof right now. Plane tickets are way up too. And work is swamped because end of our fiscal year. But thanks for the suggestions.

Paul
least you have another V8 Lexus to hold you down for now! One will come along if you keep looking. I was looking for almost a year before I found mine and that was before the pandemic and the demand and price increases

on another note. I was driving home last night and saw another clean clean black GS and clearly he noticed me because he put his thumbs up out the window to me. Gotta show respect when you see a clean GS4. You just don’t see them like that anymore. I love seeing another clean 2GS! What other car is still looking good and driving good 20+ years later!

Last edited by DMPesso; 09-18-22 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-18-22, 01:52 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 279 Posts

I think I'm just in a mild state of shock. I thought the GS was a big seller for Lexus. Not their top of the line, but not a Camry either. LOL. The reality is the pandemic apparently changed everything for now. And to be honest, I don't know even what a good price is any more. It's funny. I can find a clean used SC430 wayyy easier and for less than a GS. That was a 75K car when it came out. Plus, I don't have kids anymore. So, I don't even need a back seat. I just want a solid, reliable car as a backup and didn't want the outdated styling of the LS line. Oh well. If it took you a year, I guess one will be along sooner or later.

Paul
Old 09-18-22, 02:34 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I think I'm just in a mild state of shock. I thought the GS was a big seller for Lexus. Not their top of the line, but not a Camry either. LOL. The reality is the pandemic apparently changed everything for now. And to be honest, I don't know even what a good price is any more. It's funny. I can find a clean used SC430 wayyy easier and for less than a GS. That was a 75K car when it came out. Plus, I don't have kids anymore. So, I don't even need a back seat. I just want a solid, reliable car as a backup and didn't want the outdated styling of the LS line. Oh well. If it took you a year, I guess one will be along sooner or later.

Paul
well, it was a big seller since they sold like 20,000 a year which was pretty big back then. However, not nearly as many V8 were sold. Also the SC is a newer car and usually isn’t purchased as a daily driver so it will be easier to find them in good condition since they made them up until 2010.

I think a fair price would be $5000-$8000 for something under 150k miles and in good condition with timing belt recently done. You might expect to pay a little more since your in the west coast.

To think, I got mine November 2020 before all the madness started with used cars and I paid $4500 when the guy wanted $5000. It had 132k miles and timing belt was just done. In this market I probably would have paid $8000 for the same car. If I had the parking I would get that black one just to have as a backup, it looks really clean. But I already have two cars and I can’t imagine having to worry about parking another one. You don’t see many clean ones with low mileage for a good price.
Old 09-18-22, 09:22 PM
firelizard
Forum Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 366 Posts

I can find a clean used SC430 wayyy easier and for less than a GS.
Really? I check in on SC430 prices every once in a while because I do like them, but they seem to have been stuck in the at least high-teens range for clean ones, with a lot in the mid to high 20s.
I guess clean [and low-mile] GSs are a lot less common though, since people usually daily-drove them, then they were super cheap and got used even harder.
Old 09-19-22, 05:56 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Originally Posted by firelizard
Really? I check in on SC430 prices every once in a while because I do like them, but they seem to have been stuck in the at least high-teens range for clean ones, with a lot in the mid to high 20s.
I guess clean [and low-mile] GSs are a lot less common though, since people usually daily-drove them, then they were super cheap and got used even harder.
It depends on how "New" you are looking for. The model year, etc. The 02-05 has the 5 speed automatic. The 06-10 has a six, with very minor updates to the front and back. The 2010 model had a couple of minor interior changes. But you'll never find one of those. Total sales numbers were in the 140k range of all the SC430's produced with the older years being much easier to find than the higher years. Then you had the Peble Beach and a few Neiman Marcus models produced with a couple of Badges and Red Interiors. Unless it is a specific color combo you are looking for, don't worry about those.

Plus, I may not be the typical buyer either. I have the 02. When I picked her up, it was a completely spur of the moment purchase. I knew nothing about it. I paid 8k for one with 100641 miles. She was then gone through from front to back, top to bottom. By me mostly when I could. Professionally when I had to due to the fact that I live in a condo. Which is basically what I have in mind for the GS when I find one.

I spent approximately another 8k to get her almost factory new. Found the Forum and was well and truely hooked. All of us are getting long of tooth now. But you still can find a deal if you look. Lots of low mileage in the North. Not cheap. Like you say, mid to high teens.
But no car likes to sit for long periods of time either. Finding a mechanic that knows their way around the top? Forget it. Even the dealership out here has to have a master mechanic to do the work on her because most of the kids have never touched one.
It took time to learn her ways. I called her a tramp for awhile. I think I was like her fifth owner. She had been everywhere from Texas to Washington State. But now she's mine. Restored again and my daily driver. And as original as I can make her.

There was also very little aftermarket. Plus living in commiefornia, I can't modify her anyway. There are virtually no CARB approved parts for the SC430 in my state. I can't even put on headers. None approved.

So your probably right. If you want one with low miles and garage kept. That pricing your seeing is probably about right in todays market. Still the best car I have ever owned though. And the process of learning how to fix this and that has made the enjoyment of owning the car even more personal.

But you can never forget that one idiot driver can total it so easily because insurance companies don't care what the car means to you. Pop an airbag and it probably 5-6k at best return. Nowhere near what this car is truely worth because they say the car is 20 years old and high mileage. It sucks. But that is what we deal with on any older car including the GS's.

Paul
Old 09-19-22, 06:47 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

It depends on how "New" you are looking for. The model year, etc. The 02-05 has the 5 speed automatic. The 06-10 has a six, with very minor updates to the front and back. The 2010 model had a couple of minor interior changes. But you'll never find one of those. Total sales numbers were in the 140k range of all the SC430's produced with the older years being much easier to find than the higher years. Then you had the Peble Beach and a few Neiman Marcus models produced with a couple of Badges and Red Interiors. Unless it is a specific color combo you are looking for, don't worry about those.

Plus, I may not be the typical buyer either. I have the 02. When I picked her up, it was a completely spur of the moment purchase. I knew nothing about it. I paid 8k for one with 100641 miles. She was then gone through from front to back, top to bottom. By me mostly when I could. Professionally when I had to due to the fact that I live in a condo. Which is basically what I have in mind for the GS when I find one.

I spent approximately another 8k to get her almost factory new. Found the Forum and was well and truely hooked. All of us are getting long of tooth now. But you still can find a deal if you look. Lots of low mileage in the North. Not cheap. Like you say, mid to high teens.
But no car likes to sit for long periods of time either. Finding a mechanic that knows their way around the top? Forget it. Even the dealership out here has to have a master mechanic to do the work on her because most of the kids have never touched one.
It took time to learn her ways. I called her a tramp for awhile. I think I was like her fifth owner. She had been everywhere from Texas to Washington State. But now she's mine. Restored again and my daily driver. And as original as I can make her.

There was also very little aftermarket. Plus living in commiefornia, I can't modify her anyway. There are virtually no CARB approved parts for the SC430 in my state. I can't even put on headers. None approved.

So your probably right. If you want one with low miles and garage kept. That pricing your seeing is probably about right in todays market. Still the best car I have ever owned though. And the process of learning how to fix this and that has made the enjoyment of owning the car even more personal.

But you can never forget that one idiot driver can total it so easily because insurance companies don't care what the car means to you. Pop an airbag and it probably 5-6k at best return. Nowhere near what this car is truely worth because they say the car is 20 years old and high mileage. It sucks. But that is what we deal with on any older car including the GS's.

Paul
Yea that’s my problem as well. Until a place like haggerty let’s you insure the car by value, full coverage is almost not worth having. I was debating removing the collision for that reason alone. It’s like $400-$500 a year I’d save. I know I would barely even get $4000 for my 99 GS4 if someone god forbid hit me. I pray it never happens. Comprehensive, that’s another story. Never know if a tree will fall on your car or someone tries to steal it. Worth having even if you get only $5000 back.
Old 10-10-22, 10:26 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Well, pulled the trigger. Found an 03 GS430. I've named it Orphan for now. Silver w gray interior, 180k miles for $4k. Spent yesterday cutting out some aftermarket wiring that went to nothing. Used to be an oversized subwoofer in the trunk and whatever else it was doing.
Repaired the wiring and got the OEM stereo working because the rear deck speaker is missing but on order from ebay. Bent Tie Rods on passenger side being replaced now. Replaced the two smaller brake light bulbs with front passenger side low beam left to replace.
And the worst part still remaining is a leaking lower oil pan.
Stripped the entire back seat and deck out for cleaning and inspection. Also to remove aftermarket wires. And ease of installation for the rear sub of course.
So, why Orphan? History on this car is minimal so far. But this is what I surmised during my inspection. It was a family car. You could tell by the sticky stuff and small toys under the back seat. It looks like they just drove it. No mods. And then one day, she blew the radiator which you can tell from the coolant sprayed all under the engine compartment. Not quite sure what the total damage was, but it looks like the owner decided it was time to let it go.
So they donated it to a charity. It was then quickly picked up and had the radiator replaced and some other work. It looks like the valve covers came off and maybe timing covers. So far, she is OK for the price. No DTC codes for engine, transmission, or body but can't communicate with any of the doors. Front passenger side lock needs replacing.
Not happy about the silver exterior and need to replace a couple of interior components like the speaker cover on the center dash.
All in all, not exactly what I was looking for but you cant really go wrong with either the 400 or 430. Thanks all.

Paul
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (10-11-22)
Old 10-11-22, 03:40 AM
QLex300
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good Luck with the build..
Nice deal
Old 10-11-22, 07:36 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Well, pulled the trigger. Found an 03 GS430. I've named it Orphan for now. Silver w gray interior, 180k miles for $4k. Spent yesterday cutting out some aftermarket wiring that went to nothing. Used to be an oversized subwoofer in the trunk and whatever else it was doing.
Repaired the wiring and got the OEM stereo working because the rear deck speaker is missing but on order from ebay. Bent Tie Rods on passenger side being replaced now. Replaced the two smaller brake light bulbs with front passenger side low beam left to replace.
And the worst part still remaining is a leaking lower oil pan.
Stripped the entire back seat and deck out for cleaning and inspection. Also to remove aftermarket wires. And ease of installation for the rear sub of course.
So, why Orphan? History on this car is minimal so far. But this is what I surmised during my inspection. It was a family car. You could tell by the sticky stuff and small toys under the back seat. It looks like they just drove it. No mods. And then one day, she blew the radiator which you can tell from the coolant sprayed all under the engine compartment. Not quite sure what the total damage was, but it looks like the owner decided it was time to let it go.
So they donated it to a charity. It was then quickly picked up and had the radiator replaced and some other work. It looks like the valve covers came off and maybe timing covers. So far, she is OK for the price. No DTC codes for engine, transmission, or body but can't communicate with any of the doors. Front passenger side lock needs replacing.
Not happy about the silver exterior and need to replace a couple of interior components like the speaker cover on the center dash.
All in all, not exactly what I was looking for but you cant really go wrong with either the 400 or 430. Thanks all.

Paul
wheres the pics bro? Glad you finally found something. You sound like you know your stuff, I’m sure by next year it will look and drive great!
Old 10-11-22, 08:38 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Congrats on finding one! I think its fair to say they are lots of Orphans out there, but I think it's fantastic that you are saving one!
Old 10-11-22, 09:19 PM
Raven01750
Racer

There's not much to do to save her. The oil pan gasket is the number one pain. And I forgot to mention, no wireless keys. At all. Pulled the ECU this morning and sent it out for two new programmed keys. Should be back in about a week. And surprisingly, it was actually less than having one key made at the dealer for my SC430. Go figure.
Its already obvious that parts for the GS are cheaper than my SC. I lucked out with the bent tie rod. No Rack and Pinion damage so just inner and outer tie rod on the passenger side. That was it. No problems with brakes, bushings, ball joints etc.
I have a new sub for the rear deck on the way. That should finish off the ML. It really is a fine system.
Anyone know where to get the front, center dash speaker grill? The ring on mine has broken and needs replacement. Other tha drilling deeper with compression testing, replacing all of the fluids, vaccum lines, hoses and clamps, she will be top notch again soon.
Question? If I have to lift the motor to get the oil pan repaired, it it wise to change out the motor and transmission mounts too? Thanks.

Paul
Old 10-12-22, 03:49 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Oil pan reseal quote from my local dealer is $765.00 + material which is another $26.00. Worst design ever! LOL. The two rear bolts for the pan are buried by the engine support brace. You have to lift the engine to get to them. Bummer.

Paul
Old 10-12-22, 04:12 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

There's not much to do to save her. The oil pan gasket is the number one pain. And I forgot to mention, no wireless keys. At all. Pulled the ECU this morning and sent it out for two new programmed keys. Should be back in about a week. And surprisingly, it was actually less than having one key made at the dealer for my SC430. Go figure.
Its already obvious that parts for the GS are cheaper than my SC. I lucked out with the bent tie rod. No Rack and Pinion damage so just inner and outer tie rod on the passenger side. That was it. No problems with brakes, bushings, ball joints etc.
I have a new sub for the rear deck on the way. That should finish off the ML. It really is a fine system.
Anyone know where to get the front, center dash speaker grill? The ring on mine has broken and needs replacement. Other tha drilling deeper with compression testing, replacing all of the fluids, vaccum lines, hoses and clamps, she will be top notch again soon.
Question? If I have to lift the motor to get the oil pan repaired, it it wise to change out the motor and transmission mounts too? Thanks.

Paul
You should change out the mounts regardless if you want it to drive good. If the car doesn’t have a slight vibration at idle in Drive then they are probably fine for now. But it sure helps the car feel more smooth and stable with new motor and trans mounts.

you should be able to find the speaker grills on eBay. Plenty of parts from parted out GS’
The following users liked this post:
jefthim (10-13-22)
Old 10-13-22, 01:38 PM
Raven01750
Racer

And the subwoofer came in today and I discovered what those four extra 10mm bolts that I found under the back seat went to. The sub. Awfully decent of them to not clean up their mess and throw away the OEM hardware. 🤣 ML system is now repaired and complete.
And the ECU with two new keys is already on it's way home too. I hope to be able to start her again by Saturday.
Next? Oil pan and motor/transmission mounts. Or passenger side front door lock. I might do that today. Maybe.🤔

Paul
Old 10-13-22, 09:45 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
You should change out the mounts regardless if you want it to drive good. If the car doesn’t have a slight vibration at idle in Drive then they are probably fine for now. But it sure helps the car feel more smooth and stable with new motor and trans mounts.

you should be able to find the speaker grills on eBay. Plenty of parts from parted out GS’
And transmission mount if not included...

Quick Reply: NOT a GS Owner - Yet