GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tapping/ticking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-22, 02:45 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Tapping/ticking noise?

I’ve been using e shift lately and noticed when I was in 3rd gear at like 40 mph with rpm’s around 3 when I was going uphill and let off the gas and then pressed it again it kept making a ticking and tapping type of noise. It doesn’t sound like an exhaust leak, it sounds like valves ticking. I notice it only does this when the Rpm’s are approaching 3 and I left off the gas and start pressing it again. Also happened on the highway in 4th gear going maybe 50-60. Rpm’s were a little high also around 3.5-4. Sounds like clattering or shaking a spray paint can. Worth mentioning I never heard this before starting to use e shift and having the car in a lower gear then it would normally be in. I’m going to try and get a video. I haven’t noticed this is 2nd gear at all.

Last edited by DMPesso; 09-15-22 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-15-22, 05:22 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 348 Likes on 279 Posts

Sounds like it could be a fuel supply issue. Uphill, let off the gas and back on. Hard to know without a fuel pressure monitor. Are you using premium? Just a WAG! 🤣

Paul
Old 09-15-22, 05:25 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Raven01750
Sounds like it could be a fuel supply issue. Uphill, let off the gas and back on. Hard to know without a fuel pressure monitor. Are you using premium? Just a WAG! 🤣

Paul
haha deff always use 93. Also happened on the highway it wasn’t uphill I had it in 4th gear and was going about 60mph so the rpm’s were at like 3 and I let my foot off the gas and when I went to press the gas it starts making the noise. It’s only in the initial pressing of the gas from a coast when it’s in a low gear cruising at a higher rpm
Old 09-16-22, 05:40 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Wait! 93? The best we can get out here in CA is 91 with a bunch of Ethanol mixed in.

I know your keen enough to be checking the LS forums too. When I had my LS400, it was so solid, I never had any problems. Except for one that I discovered quite by accident. I had a low engine knock. Most likely a rod bearing. But I happened to be under my car one morning getting ready to change the oil and I heard it when I started her up. But it was sound that if I didnt have my head right by the oil pan, I never would have heard it. The car belongs to my GF's son now and still runs strong. Just a testament. 😁 But you already know all of this.
I personally would worry about it until I identified exactly the cause. But a valve adjustment is just a super pain in the **** for these motors. But a compression check is pretty simple just to get a quick snapshot of the engines health and bring a piece of mind.

Paul
Old 09-16-22, 07:15 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Wait! 93? The best we can get out here in CA is 91 with a bunch of Ethanol mixed in.

I know your keen enough to be checking the LS forums too. When I had my LS400, it was so solid, I never had any problems. Except for one that I discovered quite by accident. I had a low engine knock. Most likely a rod bearing. But I happened to be under my car one morning getting ready to change the oil and I heard it when I started her up. But it was sound that if I didnt have my head right by the oil pan, I never would have heard it. The car belongs to my GF's son now and still runs strong. Just a testament. 😁 But you already know all of this.
I personally would worry about it until I identified exactly the cause. But a valve adjustment is just a super pain in the **** for these motors. But a compression check is pretty simple just to get a quick snapshot of the engines health and bring a piece of mind.

Paul
the valve adjustment I have heard of being an issue in the 1UZ. I hope that’s not the problem.

I think it’s a gasket leak or possibly heat shield rattling because I tried to replicate the sound this morning and it only happens on the initial pressing of the gas once I press slightly harder it goes away which leads me to believe the feathering of the gas makes the air escape initially, but once you press a little harder it stops. But maybe I’m wrong. Could that be a symptom for needing valve adjustment too?

It’s weird it doesn’t happen when driving regularly. Only if it’s left in 3rd or 4th gear and I’m coasting around 3 RPM then I go and press the gas and I can make the sound if I just lightly feather the gas but once I press it harder you don’t hear it. It’s like the pressure causing the heat shield to rattle or let air escape
Old 09-16-22, 10:16 AM
Raven01750
Racer

I don't know too much about your 400. But when you got it, did you go through all of the vacuum lines, PCV valve etc.? I mentioned fuel first because of the Engine ECU's ability to adjust the engine timing on the fly. And that is where I would start. It sucks because there's probably not a mechanic in the world who would say anything other that "It's Normal"! LOL. When was the last time you ran a can of injector cleaner through. I do it every oil change.

Paul
Old 09-16-22, 10:36 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I don't know too much about your 400. But when you got it, did you go through all of the vacuum lines, PCV valve etc.? I mentioned fuel first because of the Engine ECU's ability to adjust the engine timing on the fly. And that is where I would start. It sucks because there's probably not a mechanic in the world who would say anything other that "It's Normal"! LOL. When was the last time you ran a can of injector cleaner through. I do it every oil change.

Paul
im going to try the fuel injector cleaner I don’t think I used it on this car yet. Used to use Techron on my last GS. I highly doubt it’s going to help but I guess it can’t hurt. Never changed my PCV valve but would that actually cause this?
Old 09-16-22, 12:32 PM
Raven01750
Racer

That cheap little valve does SOOOOO much. It always gets forgotten. It's not even on the maintenance list. Look it up. Have an oil leak from your valve covers? It could be a bad PCV valve. I change mine about every 50K just because. I think the last one was less than $7.00.

Paul
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (09-19-22)
Old 09-16-22, 12:36 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Here's a writeup I did awhile ago on the SC430 Forum...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...important.html

Paul