GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1998 GS 300 Cigarette Lighter REMOVAL help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-22, 02:05 PM
underthedo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 GS 300 Cigarette Lighter REMOVAL help please

Hoping someone can help.

I've searched for and read so many threads on fixing the malfunctioning cigarette lighter, and I would like to apply the fix. But I can -not- for the life of me get the socket removed from the assembly. I can see the back of the assembly, but can't get to it.

I've found videos but none for the assembly that I have. I've been poking away at this for hours, and I'm no closer. I may be forced to order a lighter socket removal tool, and try to get it out from the front instead.

Please, if you can help, I would be most grateful.

Ashtray assembly removed from car. Can I get the lighter socket out with a removal tool from this side? If so, maybe I'll just buy that.

I removed the screws at the top of this picture

And the two screws from here. But that metal plate won't come off.

The spring assembly that opens and closes the ashtray

With the screws removed, this is as close as I can get to the back of the lighter assembly
Old 11-22-22, 02:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,542 Posts

There is no threaded ring on the end near the wires?

Found an Ebay listing looks like the outer shell threads on/rotates.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/331377953251

Last edited by LeX2K; 11-22-22 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-22-22, 03:13 PM
underthedo
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by LeX2K
There is no threaded ring on the end near the wires?

Found an Ebay listing looks like the outer shell threads on/rotates.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/331377953251

I think there is, but it won't turn from the outer end (the side where the actual cigarette lighter plugs in which faces the car interior), I think I would need a tool like this:
Amazon Amazon
to remove it from that side, because it won't budge.

But tons of people in the forums (in old old threads) had gotten to the back of their sockets, where the wires are (which is where I need to get to, I need to perform this operation on it:
), but anyone that documented the process with a video or pictures had assemblies that were significantly different than mine, enough to not be helpful.

But looking at the picture you provided, I see what you mean with the threads. Perhaps I can find some way to push the pins down without that specialized tool, and be able to simply unscrew the interior and pull it out.
Old 11-22-22, 05:53 PM
underthedo
3rd Gear

Well, on the one part, Eureka. I figured out after some more manual manipulation and patience, that using a very small flathead screwdriver I could push these two tabs in and the plastic behind the lighter socket comes right off!

And I was able to get the nut off (7mm for those who may need to know), and remove the little washer thing, and put the whole thing back together (well......I managed to break the plastic that kept the whole little bottom assembly together, but I pieced it together best I could), then got the ashtray back in and wood paneling in place and everything looked great!

And I don't think the little light in the ashtray worked previously (I think) and it does now!

BUT!

The socket still does not produce power, and now my arm rest outlet no longer works!

I'm too tired to continue on, but that is a real bummer. I suppose I put the bottom of the socket back together incorrectly, and maybe blew the fuse this time.

I think I will try a replacement generic cigarette lighter and grab some fuses while I'm at the auto parts store.

Press these two tabs in

And the back pops right off

7 mm nut

Remove the washer separating the plates. But do it carefully so you don't break the whole thing like i did

The washer that was removed.
Old 11-28-22, 11:36 AM
Mozy
9th Gear

I figured out the tabs at the front eventually. However, I used a hole saw to remove the lighter from the front as mine stopped working after replacing with a used oem version. Weak build perhaps? I then then replaced with a generic power socket which is working well. If you are going to go down this route, I suggest a power socket the same length as the what you have as like me I had to do a lot maneuvering of wiring to get it to fit.