GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

CAN SOMEONE STEAL YOUR GSxxx?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-03, 10:20 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CAN SOMEONE STEAL YOUR GSxxx?

Im asking this question because Im under the impression the unless they have your key they cannot turn on your car.I know that some one could probably tow it but can some one steal it? anyone ?
Old 10-24-03, 10:31 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Arrow

Lets just put it this way....there are ways around the immobilizer!!
Old 10-24-03, 10:41 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good question....but Im sure there are creative ways around the OEM immobilzer system.

Does anyone know of a GS that got ripped off? I only heard of car jackings?

Peter
Old 10-24-03, 10:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if they want to do it, they can do it
Old 10-24-03, 11:26 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. I believe the thing in the key is just a registor, rather than some complicated chip. When insert key in the ignition, it completes the circuit involving some other registors. If the key does not have the right registor value, the circuit disables the car electrical system. I guess it is just an added feature to slow down car thief.
Old 10-24-03, 11:33 AM
lv2000
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if u can do remote start on a car u can steal it ! the key has a resistor u can find the module and jump the witrs together to complete the circuit (if u know where its at and what colors ! ) i dont think its common though knowing lexus i would think that they hid it good !!!
Old 10-24-03, 11:39 AM
broke_gs
Driver

Well, I know for a fact that you don't need the chip or whatever in the key to run the car because I have a turbo timer.
Old 10-24-03, 12:14 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

not my lex
fuel pump power is cut, meaning, you can start the car, but you just can't drive it more than 0.1 feet ha ha before the engine shut down
Old 10-24-03, 01:04 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BananaGS
not my lex
fuel pump power is cut, meaning, you can start the car, but you just can't drive it more than 0.1 feet ha ha before the engine shut down
Is this a DIY?
Old 10-24-03, 01:11 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default thieves

If the thieves are good enough and they want a car badly enough, they will get it regardless of what it is. Keep in mind that these types of thieves don't care about driving the car since they will most likely part it out and sell it in pieces.
Old 10-24-03, 02:01 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

even once starting the engine you will need to somehow unlock the steering column (i.e. break it) which is difficult since there is no leverage to snap that sucker off...
Old 10-24-03, 03:57 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

just so everyone else knows this..... I recently saw test of anti-theft devices that are easily available for not 2 much $$$$$. The AutoLock was rated as the toughest to crack, i.e. enough to make a car thief go looking for an easier target. This device locks around the gas and brake pedals completely immobilizing the car when used. I am definitely going to pick one up.
Old 10-24-03, 04:06 PM
wilassasin
Driver

I'm a police officer(Detective) and I dont recall one instance where a Lexus GS was stolen since i've been on the job. Now carjacked, well fellas thats a whole different ball game.....They do steal the Audi's I was told that they had the immobilizer too....
Old 10-24-03, 04:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by wilassasin
I'm a police officer(Detective) and I dont recall one instance where a Lexus GS was stolen since i've been on the job. Now carjacked, well fellas thats a whole different ball game.....They do steal the Audi's I was told that they had the immobilizer too....
well the immobolizer alone isn't going to slow the thieves down, there are so many ways to go around the system and this and that so if they really want to steal it, they will. but i have to admit the security system on the GS itself as a whole (a lot of other little gadges here and there) is what make the car hard to steal. for example if someone is able to trigger the alarm on the GS, the door lock on the GS will automatically lock the door 3 times a second continuously...

plus another thing about the GS is that it doesn't share parts with most car, so unless you have plenty of aftermarket stuff on it that will make money, they won't eye on your car.

for the record, gs4fun (sorry man, i don't mean to mention you, but your car was one of my favorite so i keep that in mind a lot) blue gs4 got stolen and never found.
Old 10-24-03, 04:44 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And Romi, look out man, I LOVE YOUR CAR! *wink *wink HAHAHA Guys, I can't be bother about this kind of stuff, otherwise I'll be sleeping in my garage every night.... Get yourself a kick butt insurance coverage! and that's that! Please do NOT discuss ways to get around the systems...If you want to know how, PM the expert but please do not leave ways and ideas on open forums

Now you guys make me worried!

Damn it!

Quick Reply: CAN SOMEONE STEAL YOUR GSxxx?