GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

does anyone know how to fix (rattling from glovebox area)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-03, 07:31 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Neo and Shadow,

Let me explain why I say they would not charge you for these service. I do feel compell to get a good slap out of Lexus Satisfaction hotline if they don't give me a good answer for a defect that they've known about for years in that particular model. Regardless of the fact that the car is out of warranty, you as a person who buy Lexus for its name and profound reliability, here you are fighting with them for a little fix? Ask them if that's fair? You bought the damn car used, the previous owner who wouldn't know about this issue in TSB, it was his disavantage (probably never joined ClubLexus), so Lexus would take advantage of him? and now you (second owner)???? Just make sure you have a good relationship with your dealer, I hope you do take your Lexus to your local dealer for maintainance and oil-change and other services....

My dealer is hooking me up when it's time to get some warranty works done to my car, although every knows that my Spectra Blue is way out of warranty.... Two brand new headlights for a fraction of the cost of one. Dealer picked up the tab, or split it with me.... The moral of the story is that, have a good relationship with your dealer, and why wouldn't you? Just make sure to be firm and polite when you deal with lexus... or with anyone as a matter of fact.... Ask and you shall receive...!

Good luck!
Old 10-28-03, 08:32 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

chuckisc,

I agree with you about what should be done. Whether or not the dealer agrees is another thing.

As for the 1st/2nd owner thing, I can't use that excuse. I've had the car since it came out. My wife drove the car for over 3 years. She is not as bothered about these little things. I took it over to do some modding. I don't regret it but these little things are an embarassment for such a luxury marque.
Old 10-29-03, 11:06 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Neo
I don't regret it but these little things are an embarassment for such a luxury marque.
True and agree Neo!

Still, the Satisfaction Hotline should get you some good answers either way, most of the times, they are in your favor!!!

Wanna get the greese, gotta make some noise baby!
Old 10-29-03, 07:03 PM
newyorker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2003 GS300.
I have rattle from center vent piece and air control pannel. Also some from cup holder region.
THese all came on the bumps. from hard stop or go. or going into gas station..
These parts are lose.. If i push them it make noise and it's not tight to the body.
I aksed two times about this to dealer and they said they can't do anything.
So the manager called factory lab. and I will go and see the factory lab.
I checked other GS but they are tight ...not moving around and make noise.
And the tech in dealer keep telling me that it's not gona be tight since there is nothing that hold the part.
I don't think lexus designed that way...
Does anybody know about this issue?
rattle kills me...

steering vibration also .....about 60~70 in the morning ...once tire warm up getting better,,,
Sunroof rattle,,, he says nothing they can do... he says it suppose to move and make noise.
well I will make big chart that i want to get it fixed under factory lab.....it's gona be big day...~~
Old 10-29-03, 09:46 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny timing. I just did this last week. I fixed the creaks in my center console, AND my glove box. Since mine's a 98 I didn't even bother talking to the dealer. I take my ride to an independent Lexus only shop. They know me, and gave me a BUNCH of felt for free. I pulled the console out, pretty easy, went to town with felt where it connects to the dash next to the ashtray, and some along each seat side edge where the plastic meets the wood.

The gb was a little more involved. I tried the TSBs first( I subscribe to ALLDATA.com), they didn't eliminate all rattles. I then proceeded to remove entire glove box and disassemble the door. I placed thick felt(1/8-1/4" thick) pretty much around perimeter of panel(backside) that screws into the door. After about an hour's worth of work I hear NO rattles or creaks from either piece. Not a single creak from the glove box yet.

If some want pics bad enough let me know, and I'll disassemble the box again and snap some pics. It sounds more difficult than it really is, but it can be time consuming depending on how **** you are about cabin noises.

BTW, mine's a 98 400