GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lsportline Rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-03, 11:14 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsportline Rear bumper

Does anyone know any tricks to get the Lsportline rear bumper to fit? When the body shop put mine on it has 3/4 inch gaps under the lights and the trunk. It was also another GS in the shop form another body shop with the same gaps in it. So they think it just fits like that. Im ready to hurt somebody. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-26-03, 08:38 PM
Downtown
Pole Position

I'm dying to know as well since mine should be arriving any day now. I've gone through the gallery and from what I've seen there It don't look to bad?

DT
Old 10-26-03, 08:41 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up in the same boat

mine is finished painted, and waiting for the chrome trim, and my car to have it put on. this makes me curious
Old 10-26-03, 08:45 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

I've got an RMM kit on my car and there's about a 1/2" gap on mine on the rear bumper. It's probable that your rear will have SOME sort of gap, but I think 3/4" might be a bit much...

Good luck and be sure to post pics!
Old 10-27-03, 07:39 AM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

here is a pic of my rear bumper.Does yours have more of a gap than this?
Old 10-27-03, 08:48 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Yea it does. I saw that pic. Ill take some pics of it today and post tonight...late. My car is silver so it looks bad.
Old 10-27-03, 01:49 PM
hitechgs3t
Lead Lap

hey sandrock...long time no talk... well here mine l-sportline rear
Old 10-27-03, 05:34 PM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I scraped up an old pic of my stock bumper and compared it to my new L-Sportline.

It doesn't appear like the L-Sportline is much different compared to my old stock bumper.

I'm not sure why yours is so different. Might want to take pics and post them or call L-Sportline and see if maybe they changed their molds lately?

There were NO tricks that my bodyshop used because I was there helping him when he installed the rear bumper.

The only thing we DID do was make sure to replace the stock foam. We used a hack-saw blade by hand and cut away most of the left and right sides and bottom half so that the main body of the foam was still pushing the largest main area of bumper out.

I had the bumper installed for a few days without the foam and I hated how the bumper appeared to be pressed in (or like the car was rear ended) so I brought it back to him and we removed the bumper and installed the foam.

Keep in mind, non of this did ANYTHING with the gap you are talking about.

My NEW L-Sportline bumper

My OLD Stock bumper

Last edited by cyberseano; 10-27-03 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-27-03, 06:08 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

That does look pretty rough. Sorry to see that... I'd call L-Sportline and see what they suggest maybe?

-Anthony
Old 10-27-03, 09:41 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone for posting. Whats up HITech Paul said you were at the meet in NY....Here is the pics so you guys know what Im talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Lsportline Rear bumper-back-middle.jpg  
Old 10-27-03, 09:42 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

See under the lights....
Attached Thumbnails Lsportline Rear bumper-lt-lite.jpg  
Old 10-27-03, 09:45 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

the other
Attached Thumbnails Lsportline Rear bumper-rt-lite.jpg  
Old 10-27-03, 09:48 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

The foam is removed.
Old 10-27-03, 10:04 PM
Downtown
Pole Position

Not that I'm a bodyman but if you built up the foam you removed would it close the gap?

DT
Old 10-27-03, 11:27 PM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SandRock, something is WAY off with the install and it has nothing to do with the foam. When my foam wasn't in for a few days, my bumper was still exactly the way you see it in my above pic. The only difference without the foam is that the middle of bumper looks pressed in a little bit from certain angles. It doesn't effect the gap at all. I can tell just by looking at someone who has the L-Sportline kit if they have the foam in or not. It's that obvious to me. Trust me, I drove my bodyshop guy totaly nuts while I nit picked till everything was lined up right. Took 8 hours to get my side skirts and rear bumper removed and reinstalled untill I was happy.

It looks like the factory bolts that are on the inside of your bumper are NOT lined up with the holes. If I had to guess, I'd even go as far to say that some of the bolts are completely missing or completely missing their mark.

Either way, your bumper should NOT look like that.

If I were you I'd stand right next to the guy at the body shop and have him remove the bumper and make sure ALL the bolts on the inside are going into the correct holes.

I know it took at least 2 people to reinstall mine. I held my bumper in place while my bodyshop guy went around and got all the bolts lined up. Then everything has to be pressed on at once. It took us a while because some of the bolts kept getting pushed back into the bumper so we'd have to take the whole thing off and pull them out again. Was a big pain in the azz.

Last edited by cyberseano; 10-28-03 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Lsportline Rear bumper