GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help! Charging system issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-23, 01:17 PM
AveryWhite
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajchan
It depends on how deep into the dash you need to get. You can pull the instrument cluster without dropping the steering, but if you want to go further dropping the dash is a BIG job. You pretty much have to dismantle everything from the center console storage boxes forward to get it off. There are several wiring harnesses that are clipped to the underside of the dash so you need to either cut the wire ties or fiddle with the screws holding the clips in place.

it took me most of a day to get it apart and a day and a half to get it all back together. Lexus builds the car with precision, and it must be put back together in the exact reverse order to the way it was disassembled. If you have to force anything, it means that you missed a step and you have to go back. It’s an interesting challenge.
Thanks for the heads up, I imagine dismantling isn't too bad, I did up to the steering wheel on a few parts car, never went about the steering column, I figured passenger side would be a pain. I guess if there isn't anything in there causing a few volt drops or charging system related then no point right?
Old 02-26-23, 01:50 PM
Ajchan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AveryWhite
Thanks for the heads up, I imagine dismantling isn't too bad, I did up to the steering wheel on a few parts car, never went about the steering column, I figured passenger side would be a pain. I guess if there isn't anything in there causing a few volt drops or charging system related then no point right?
on the passenger side removing the glove box is easy and should give you access to most of the critical wiring, just be careful of the bright yellow air bag wire,
Old 02-26-23, 02:20 PM
AveryWhite
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ajchan
on the passenger side removing the glove box is easy and should give you access to most of the critical wiring, just be careful of the bright yellow air bag wire,
I appreciate the heads ups, I guess I'll check a few things out when I'm off wed-fri
Old 02-26-23, 07:41 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 284 Likes on 244 Posts

I didn’t notice if you said what the voltage the battery is reading with the car off. Odd you’re not getting the voltage light if it’s charging that low and the battery needs it.
Old 02-26-23, 07:47 PM
AveryWhite
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexo98
I didn’t notice if you said what the voltage the battery is reading with the car off. Odd you’re not getting the voltage light if it’s charging that low and the battery needs it.
My bad, it's almost always over 12.3-12.4. Even after many start up it returns to that, though I didn't check it after my last one.
Old 02-26-23, 08:06 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

My bad, it's almost always over 12.3-12.4. Even after many start up it returns to that, though I didn't check it after my last one.
So in reality the alternator is charging the battery properly. Maybe the tool you’re using to measure voltage is bad. Or your trying to check the voltage when the battery is already fully charged and the voltage regulator is no longer charging the battery since it’s already charged
Old 02-26-23, 08:28 PM
AveryWhite
Rookie

So in reality the alternator is charging the battery properly. Maybe the tool you’re using to measure voltage is bad. Or your trying to check the voltage when the battery is already fully charged and the voltage regulator is no longer charging the battery since it’s already charged
Well that's what I kinda thought but my buddy used my same multimeter on his Durango and it read 14.4 running, maybe my blim battery is bad?
Old 02-26-23, 09:00 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

[QUOTE=AveryWhite;11457077]Well that's what I kinda thought but my buddy used my same multimeter on his Durango and it read 14.4 running, maybe my blim battery is bad?

it has to be charging at more than 11 volts for the battery to be charged. Maybe it’s because of where you are checking the voltage from. I use an ELM 327 obd2 reader and the obd fusion app.
Old 02-26-23, 09:14 PM
AveryWhite
Rookie

[QUOTE=lexo98;11457087]
Well that's what I kinda thought but my buddy used my same multimeter on his Durango and it read 14.4 running, maybe my blim battery is bad?

it has to be charging at more than 11 volts for the battery to be charged. Maybe it’s because of where you are checking the voltage from. I use an ELM 327 obd2 reader and the obd fusion app.
I wonder why it always went back above 12, only thing the it seems to idle weird, when it did read over 12 running when I first got the battery it was still running smooth, also still don't know why my battery light doesn't work, a few videos online show if it doesn't work in on position it won't let alternator charge, but I guess I'm getting charged, still quite a headache haha
Old 02-27-23, 09:54 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 279 Posts

It might be idling weird because discontinuing the battery resets the ECM back to factory specs. If your throttle body butterfly is dirty, it could could be allowing more air into the engine than the ECM calculates for. That could cause it. Just a guess of course.

Paul
Old 02-27-23, 10:00 PM
AveryWhite
Rookie

Originally Posted by Raven01750
It might be idling weird because discontinuing the battery resets the ECM back to factory specs. If your throttle body butterfly is dirty, it could could be allowing more air into the engine than the ECM calculates for. That could cause it. Just a guess of course.

Paul
​​​​​​That does make sense, I know my brother basically cleaned everything when we did the rebuild. I wouldn't think throttle body needs cleaning but also any suggestions to fix rpm gauge? Will it make my car run weird or shift bad
Old 02-27-23, 10:08 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Did he take out the throttle position sensor when he cleaned the throttle body? You have to know how to put it back in and adjust it.
Old 02-27-23, 10:18 PM
AveryWhite
Rookie

Did he take out the throttle position sensor when he cleaned the throttle body? You have to know how to put it back in and adjust it.
Not sure honestly, rpm gauge worked before rebuild, but it ran smooth as hell when we were done, only when battery started draining is when it started idling weird-old battery ran at 14v but drained rather quick- got 2nd battery and removed amp wire from terminal then no drain but also no 14v
last 2 major things I noticed, can't say there's any correlation but I thought I would mention it
Old 02-28-23, 09:27 PM
AveryWhite
Rookie

I found this today looking around at my engine, it's underneath the exhaust manifold, not sure if it's a ground my brother added or a frayed wire

Old 03-01-23, 11:49 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 279 Posts

Dang Dude. I love a challenge more than most but your harness is TRASH! Do you have a salvage yard somewhere close that you can hit up? I just can't believe the amount of issues I see every time you take a photo. And what is that metal tube in your second photo that seems to be hanging out in the air. Or broke? It starts towards the top right side of the picture and goes out the bottom left.

Paul

Last edited by Raven01750; 03-01-23 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Help! Charging system issues