GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

won't start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-23, 08:38 AM
wpatters1229
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't start when cold

2006 gs300. When it is normal temp., mid 60F temp outside the car starts just fine. At night when it gets cold like 40F - 50F it tries but all I hear is some noise like something is running but that is it. If I take my foot off the brake it keeps going until I push the start button again and then the dash panel goes black and it stops. As soon as the temp gets a bit warm it starts OK. No engine light on or any indication that there is a problem other than not starting.
New battery and terminals are all tight and clean. Same with the ground strap between the engine and frame. No other symptoms.
I think that the solenoid on the starter gets stuck when it is cold but when the temp increases the solenoid can move and engage the flywheel and then have the contacts in the solenoid provide 12v to the starter motor. I think the sound I hear when it fails is the starter motor just running. Maybe it is running until the solenoid moves into the flywheel. Not sure about these electronic computer cars if that is how it works. I am old school and am good at working on older cars. I was hoping it would not start in the morning so I could bang on the starter to see if the solenoid freed up and started working but at 07:30 it started right up. Last night when it was 54F it failed but then this morning when the temp is 50F it works!!
Does anyone have anything like this or have an idea of how the system works?
Old 12-02-23, 10:42 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

If its electrical growl from the starter then the solenoid is bad. If the radiator fans kicking on while trying to start the car and the car does not crank then more likely fuel rail sensor.

You can buy used oem from a newer gs350 is250 or any other. Theres a website www.car-parts.com and chose the newest low mileage starter. I wouldnt put an aftermarket unless its a denso brand. But just confirm its the starter, before replacing parts
Old 12-02-23, 10:54 AM
wpatters1229
9th Gear

Originally Posted by ibidu1
If its electrical growl from the starter then the solenoid is bad. If the radiator fans kicking on while trying to start the car and the car does not crank then more likely fuel rail sensor.

You can buy used oem from a newer gs350 is250 or any other. Theres a website www.car-parts.com and chose the newest low mileage starter. I wouldnt put an aftermarket unless its a denso brand. But just confirm its the starter, before replacing parts
Not sure what sound an electrical growl would sound like. This sound is a quiet like a hum or something. Since it is temperature sensitive/triggered it seems to me to be the starter getting stuck and not engaging with the flywheel. There are many YouTube videos on how to remove the starter from under the car without having to take off the exhaust manifold etc. to get to it from the top. I may just do that and clean up the inside of the solenoid before replacing it. $$$ for rebuilt at Autozone around $200.
With this temperature thing it will be hard to determine if it is the starter.
Old 12-02-23, 03:28 PM
wpatters1229
9th Gear

I wonder if I buy a can of freeze spray that is used to freeze and freeze electronics would be good to spray on the starter where the solenoid is located to see if that would cause the problem to repeat.
So strange
Old 12-03-23, 05:55 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Did you search the prices on car-parts.com? Because I searched in FL and a newish year starter can be had for $45

If your going to spend the time removing and installing back the starter. May aswell buy a used low mileage one and install it. These starters can last anywhere from 250-300k miles. I would fully trust a used starter versus buying a rebuilt with unknown most likely china parts that may not last a year. Unless it was a denso rebuilt! You can also rebuild yours!
Old 12-03-23, 08:47 PM
wpatters1229
9th Gear

Found a new starter, not rebuilt or remanufactured. Will install it tomorrow.
Old 12-06-23, 12:30 AM
wpatters1229
9th Gear

Got the starter and it would not fit in the small space on the gs300. I found out that they made 3 different motor sizes depending on where you live and the climate. The short motor is for warm climates, the 1/4 inch longer one is for colder climates and they make an even longer one for Alaska. In the Lexus there is very little room for the starter and the one I took out was a Denso and was about a 1/4 inch shorter than the one the parts guy gave me. I found a place that had the exact Denso part numbered starter and it fit like a champ.
Just a warning. Take the old starter to the parts store before buying a new one and check the length.