GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 03:52 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Tire Recommendations

2006 GS430 and I'm needing new tires. The GS is now a spare car and doesn't get driven as often as it used to so I'm not looking to spend a fortune. Does anyone have any input on a 245 40 18 tire? I had gotten General Altimax on another Lexus of mine and they have been good tires, but I see they redesigned the tire and there are now mixed reviews. I prefer comfort over sportiness at this point in my life. Any input would be appreciated!
Old 12-05-23, 06:36 PM
Huezzy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
2006 GS430 and I'm needing new tires. The GS is now a spare car and doesn't get driven as often as it used to so I'm not looking to spend a fortune. Does anyone have any input on a 245 40 18 tire? I had gotten General Altimax on another Lexus of mine and they have been good tires, but I see they redesigned the tire and there are now mixed reviews. I prefer comfort over sportiness at this point in my life. Any input would be appreciated!
Try 225 45 18, balance of comfort and sportiness.
Old 12-06-23, 09:21 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I stuck with the 245/40R18 size. I chose Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 based on the excellent reviews. They are good tires ride comfortably, good traction. My only complaint is the noise, they seem be noisy on all surfaces, especially course surfaces. Next time I’m buying the Pirelli P Zero plus 3 all season Tire Rack hasn’t tested them yet but, Pirelli is known for making some of the quietist tires in the industry especially the P7 line.

You might want to look into the Yokahoma Advan GT, a member on the 4GS forum has spoken highly of those. He said they are quieter than the extemecontacts.

If you want to go the Grand Touring route, My top recommendation would be the Vredestein Quatrac Pro, quiet, smooth good in the snow tire. Pirelli P7 Cinturato, and the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT also very comfortable quiet options.

Tire Rack is a good source to compare tires, look at the tests and look at the spider graphs to compare the tires. I prefer the Ultra High Performance tires I think our cars drive better with them.
The following users liked this post:
93SCMax (12-06-23)
Old 12-06-23, 08:16 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Second vote for continental DWS06+. Perfect blend of comfort and sportiness. I’m on my second set. The first set got loud after 20k miles. They lasted about 50k miles. Hopefully this set will stay quiet longer (they are silent now). The other alternative is Michelin pilot sport AS4, but I had a set of those briefly and they were way too rough and loud for my liking (even though they made the car drive like it was on rails). Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-23, 08:53 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Second vote for continental DWS06+. Perfect blend of comfort and sportiness. I’m on my second set. The first set got loud after 20k miles. They lasted about 50k miles. Hopefully this set will stay quiet longer (they are silent now). The other alternative is Michelin pilot sport AS4, but I had a set of those briefly and they were way too rough and loud for my liking (even though they made the car drive like it was on rails). Hope this helps.
I have the Michelin pilot sports, and I agree that they are a rough ride. you really feel the bumps, and they are pretty noisy. they do grip well tho.
Old 12-07-23, 08:32 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

im on the pirelli p7 great tire, michelin primacy 4 was a quiter more comfortable ride but the pirelli was cheaper and lasts longer
Old 12-14-23, 02:26 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I ended going with the "cheapest" option since I don't drive the car much and that tire was the Cooper ProControl. So far, I'm very happy with them for the price. I drive the GS430 very little now and just couldn't justify spending the money on a car that I don't drive much anymore. We shall see how they wear, but it will be ages before the tires get any significant miles on them. I put less than 1k miles/year on the GS430 at this point.
Old 12-22-23, 12:28 PM
Hugh9591
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default High Performance Snow Tires + Wheels

I have a 2008 GS-350 AWD that I purchased in 2019. I live in Columbus, OH and it looks like I will soon have a new job where I will need to commute to Detroit one day per week. We are getting close to snow season and I want to be able to get through most any weather.

It currently has questionable wheels and tires...17" if I remember correctly. Yes...225/50-17. I think I will avoid the trouble of going to larger wheels/tires. I've had the alignment checked and corrected. The car always seems to need a lot of attention to head straight down the road. It does not pull to one side or another, but it is not as stable heading straight at freeway speed as my wife's Honda CRV or my 1999 Audi A4 Quattro (of blessed memory). This makes the car a bit tiring to drive and not as much fun as I would like.

I remember the first time I drove my Audi...what a blast. I did not realize how much fun driving could be. After going through various tires on the car, I realized what a big difference tires make.

So, with that out of the way, any recommendation on tires and wheels? And if I get them from a place like TireRack.com, where do I get them mounted? I plan to store my out-of-season tires in our garage...plenty of room there. If the new tires/wheels combo improves driving, I will probably get a set of new wheels and warm weather tires later on.

And...I sold the Audi to a good friend when I left the country for 3 years. When I got back, he refused to sell it back to me. Sigh...so I bought the Lexus. I miss driving a standard shift. But...I am still friends with that fiend and I recently saw my Audi drive by and park. I talked with him for a while and he is thinking of switching to a Tesla. If he does, I will get my Audi back. It will need some work on the interior; he did not keep it as clean as I did.

My family thinks I am nuts. But they don't know the love affair between men and their cars.

Last edited by Hugh9591; 12-22-23 at 12:47 PM. Reason: better picture
Old 12-22-23, 10:20 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugh9591
I have a 2008 GS-350 AWD that I purchased in 2019. I live in Columbus, OH and it looks like I will soon have a new job where I will need to commute to Detroit one day per week. We are getting close to snow season and I want to be able to get through most any weather.

It currently has questionable wheels and tires...17" if I remember correctly. Yes...225/50-17. I think I will avoid the trouble of going to larger wheels/tires. I've had the alignment checked and corrected. The car always seems to need a lot of attention to head straight down the road. It does not pull to one side or another, but it is not as stable heading straight at freeway speed as my wife's Honda CRV or my 1999 Audi A4 Quattro (of blessed memory). This makes the car a bit tiring to drive and not as much fun as I would like.

I remember the first time I drove my Audi...what a blast. I did not realize how much fun driving could be. After going through various tires on the car, I realized what a big difference tires make.

So, with that out of the way, any recommendation on tires and wheels? And if I get them from a place like TireRack.com, where do I get them mounted? I plan to store my out-of-season tires in our garage...plenty of room there. If the new tires/wheels combo improves driving, I will probably get a set of new wheels and warm weather tires later on.

And...I sold the Audi to a good friend when I left the country for 3 years. When I got back, he refused to sell it back to me. Sigh...so I bought the Lexus. I miss driving a standard shift. But...I am still friends with that fiend and I recently saw my Audi drive by and park. I talked with him for a while and he is thinking of switching to a Tesla. If he does, I will get my Audi back. It will need some work on the interior; he did not keep it as clean as I did.

My family thinks I am nuts. But they don't know the love affair between men and their cars.

When you purchase from Tire Rack, they will find the closest installer to you that they are affiliated with, and you have the option to just have your tires shipped there, and you can make an appointment to get them put on. You can also have them shipped to your house and find your own shop to install them. If you're having wandering issues, it may be that the big bottom control arm bushings that are worn. Very common issue it seems. I had to replace mine at around 50k, and it seems like they are wearing out again at 95k. Replaced the front struts about 10k miles ago too.
Old 12-23-23, 11:12 AM
Hugh9591
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mspearl95
When you purchase from Tire Rack, they will find the closest installer to you that they are affiliated with, and you have the option to just have your tires shipped there, and you can make an appointment to get them put on. You can also have them shipped to your house and find your own shop to install them. If you're having wandering issues, it may be that the big bottom control arm bushings that are worn. Very common issue it seems. I had to replace mine at around 50k, and it seems like they are wearing out again at 95k. Replaced the front struts about 10k miles ago too.
Many thanks. I will look into this. My Lexus is currently at 88K miles. I will look to get the control arm bushings changed first. What is the recommended mileage for replacing struts?

Last edited by Hugh9591; 12-23-23 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-23-23, 11:53 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced mine in about 130k miles. I noticed an improvement in ride quality. But it wasn’t huge improvement. Mine weren’t that bad.
Old 12-23-23, 01:36 PM
Hugh9591
Pit Crew

I have a couple of local shops I use to repair my Lexus. There is one I use for general oil changes and basic maintenance and another I use for more serious work (like changing the transmission fluid and differentials' oil). I have to be careful with that second shop; they tried to sell me on some work (replacing spark plugs) that had already been done by a Lexus dealer.