GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2009 GS350 A/C Does Not Circulate

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-24, 10:50 AM
lexls40098
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 GS350 A/C Does Not Circulate

Hi all,

I've been searching around this forum and others on an issue I have with my 2009 GS but haven't found anyone else with the same problem.

The problem is the A/C doesn't circulate the air properly. It's weird to describe but every once in a while, the A/C will pick up a smell from outside. For example, if I'm driving near a sewer or fast food place, the smell is brought into the cabin, even though I have my air on circulate. It's selective with the smells too because when I'm driving through stop and go traffic I'd expect to smell gas or any exhaust fumes but I don't, but sometimes I do. Sometimes the smell that it brings in is so bad that I have to turn off the A/C. The A/C also blows cold too so I'm having a hard time narrowing down what the problem is. I've tried letting air in or putting circulation on auto but nothing changes.

There are a few things to note about this car:
  • I'm the third owner and bought it from a family friend who was the second owner so I'm not too sure what happened during the first owner's time. I do know for sure that the car has been in an accident before with the first owner. I didn't find this out until a few months into ownership when I was polishing the paint, I realized it was very obviously repainted in certain parts of the car.
  • The car only has 60,000 miles on it, so in general (other than the accident/repaint) it should be in good condition.
  • I've done a few maintenance/repairs to it other than an oil change:
    • oil changes
    • tires replaced
    • battery replaced (AutoZone)
    • alternator replaced (Lexus rebuilt)
    • A/C blower fan replaced (aftermarket), the smell issue was present even before the fan was replaced

I'm guessing maybe the accident had something to do with this but I'm not too sure. If anyone has the same issue or any suggestions as it what it could be I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.
Old 06-03-24, 09:39 PM
Kivulii
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Open the glovebox, remove the black plastic cover to access the cabin filter, and look inside while you turn recirculate mode on and off. Does the white fresh air vent actually move? Can you hear something opening or closing?

There is a very thin, [very breakable] plastic piece that connects the recirculate door motor to the door mechanism. If someone tried to change the cabin filter without putting it in recirculate mode first, then that pin is broken. If that's the case, it's stuck in fresh air mode.

Can also test this by turning on recirc mode, then going outside and spraying febreeze on the pass. side of the wiper cowl. Can you smell it inside the car?

I would start there, then check the filter [put it in recirc mode first tho =p]
The following users liked this post:
lexls40098 (06-04-24)
Old 06-04-24, 01:14 PM
lexls40098
7th Gear

Thanks for the response. I'll give it a try.
Old 06-04-24, 08:33 PM
Kivulii
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No worries- it's pretty common to have that break. That white door, behind the black pop-out panel in the glovebox, should not move freely. DON'T try and force it to check. Just push the recirculate/fresh air button and see if it moves.

If it operates as expected and opens/closes when you push the button, write "Recirculate mode only" on a piece of tape and tape the black cover closed =p
It could be something like a dirty filter, debris in the blower, or clogged openings in the cowl. Only 60k on an '09? Nice, but where has it been sitting? In a dry garage, humid outdoors, under a pine tree? Maybe needs a deep clean.

If it does NOT operate as expected, with no movement when you push the recirculate button, then try and gently nudge the white door upwards. If it pops open, then the pin is broken. The fix is in the write-up on this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html

Mine is broken, and I've made do with a piece of plastic wedged in the opening to keep the door in the up/recirculate position all the time. Just be aware that if you can't fit the black cover back on, there will be negative pressure in the glovebox and loose papers will be sucked into the filter.

The following users liked this post:
lexls40098 (06-08-24)
Old 06-08-24, 10:37 PM
lexls40098
7th Gear

I finally had some free time to look, which seems to be the case for me. At first, I was pressing the circulation mode button and I did hear a motor working but I couldn't see anything move. I didn't realize it was the door that went over the air filter.

I decided to just stick with a temporary solution of a few lego blocks to keep the door open rather than do the full repair. I usually circulate air all the time on my other cars.

I forgot to mention this but I did change the cab air filter, but this was after the fact that I smelled the outside air. I thought changing the air filter would help but didn't realize it wasn't part of the problem. I do remember the door covering the air filter moving very easily.

Thank you so much for the help. Now I won't have to suffer sniffing everyone's fumes.