GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 08:41 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally posted by BrianW1122
oh, and i'm sorry.. am i not allowed to compare two vehicles ? i didnt realize that was against the rules.. From now on, all my comments will be nothing but praise for anything that is Lexus, regardless of how crappy i may think it is in comparison to other vehicles.
If you can't tell, conversation both pro and con are all welcome here. It's your attitude that is the issue.

Good bye.

Carry on the conversation guys, good input. Sorry for the distraction.
Old 01-06-04, 08:42 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet they don't even put an LSD in it>>>>>>> 7yrs
Old 01-06-04, 08:43 AM
MarkMacGS4
Pole Position

I agree with a previous post that we should blame Nissan for making the current Maxima look like the 2ndGenGS. The GS was all I could think of when my buddy pulled up in his new Maxima, of course I didn't say that to him. With this evolutionary styling the GS will inevitably have some characteristics of the current Maxima.

At this point, I am not blown away by the styling and spending $50K+ on something that doesn't evoke any emotion from me like the 2nd Gen GS does, well I guess I will be making the upgrade from C4 to C5 Z06, or even to the new C6 if it works out that way.

Peace,

Mark Mac
Old 01-06-04, 08:49 AM
kenshin
Driver School Candidate

Damn! I'm starting to like the style. It's growing on me. I like the fact that it's classier than the previous model. I think Lexus will hit it right again. It still retains that sporty look and again, with much classier appearance. But kinda looks like the GS just gained lots of weight. I like it better than the Bimmer 5 series, to be honest. That car never grew on me. But the Benz E class...of course, everyone know it's nicer than any car in its class. Also I think if Lexus decides to stay with the unchanged 4.3 300HP, that would surely be a huge disappointment to most Lexus lovers and potential Lexus buyers.
Old 01-06-04, 08:55 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DaveGS4
If you can't tell, conversation both pro and con are all welcome here. It's your attitude that is the issue.

Good bye.

Carry on the conversation guys, good input. Sorry for the distraction.

Thank you
Old 01-06-04, 08:57 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

I say wait for real world pics
those pics are too small
real autoshow pics with nice quality, size and different angles will give us much better understanding of the new GS

Erick G
Old 01-06-04, 09:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Brian, can you just chill a bit. We hear you loud and clear that you hate the new GS. An Acura TL though, is no match for the GS.
Old 01-06-04, 09:04 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Default An SC owners take

My take on the new GS.

Exterior (front) - Very innovative and distinguishable, you will know it's a GS in your rear view mirror. Very sharp in this area.

Exterior(rear and side) - I am dumbfounded as to why this car resembles a Maxima so much in this area. Don't' get me wrong I like the styling because I am a fan of the Maxima (is that right?). I thought Lexus would take the existing GS design and mold it into the something revolutionary, with some familiar cues from the 2nd gen carried over for identification. We know it's a GS but will everyone else?

Interior - Wonderful. Period.

Drivetrain/Engine - Lexus always shines in this area and I'm sure the GS will be a performer. The AWD option will be a useful feature for cold weather driving, I know about RWD and deep snow. A 6spd manual option in this area would make a nice addition and would increase the fun factor.

I know many of us are disappointed with the styling at this point but I admit when I first saw the 2nd gen GS I really didn't care for it much. I am now seriously considering it for my next Lexus, after seeing some of the mods done on this board. I’m sure once we see the 3rd gen with some HRE's and lowered with a body kit, we'll see things differently.

Marcus

Last edited by Technics; 01-06-04 at 09:06 AM.
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Erick G
I say wait for real world pics
those pics are too small
real autoshow pics with nice quality, size and different angles will give us much better understanding of the new GS

Erick G
Well no matter what If they don't add more HP they will lose customers. We need atleast 350HP especially with these new turboed cars. 300hp in the class the GS is in is under, lets hope that the 6pd auto will make it faster thru the 1/4...............
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Before jumping the gun and stating that this is the best or worst car EVER...I would need to see it in person and take a test drive.

My preliminary thoughts are that it reminds me of an IS front, MB sides, Nissan rear all on a hybrid Acura TSX/Infinti G35 body...Can't wait to check it out in person.

I think over time, many people will turn to like this design (though it would help if they offer sport packages like AMG)...and all the models should come standard will AWD. The 330 should take advantage and utilize the hybrid engine that produces 270HP and gets 600 miles to a tank of gas!

My vote is not out yet...but I do love my GS a little more now....
Old 01-06-04, 09:06 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My initial perception is only slight moved by the new design. Looks like an overall improvement. Kind of how the old TL too new 04 TL changed. It was a change in sheet metal and vast improvement in the interior, but the overall engine remained the same only upping by 10 HP.

I am glad that I will be able to keep my car for a few more years now. I am not going to rush out anytime soon to put my name on the waiting list. My radar is now set on maybe the new V-10 M5

For sure this car will grow on people eventually. But what made the second gen GS400/430 was a great car because it was only a few cars out there with a true blend of luxury and performance and 300hp. From what I am reading there is going to be a huge amount of cars coming out in 2005 with over 300hp....for instance the new pontiac GTO. 0-60mph in 5.4 seconds
For the new GS to take off....I really think that TRD and the tuning companies need to support it much more heavily than before. They should come out with parts quicker and faster....such as an option for say TRD bolt on supercharger, etc.

What I like about the new GS
A bit larger, more luxurious from the inside, better and larger navigation, AWD. Side rockers ala audi with the silver bump cladding.

Dislikes:
Front and rear end styling. Kind of looks like an audi a8 from the rear.
Where is the trunk on this? Looks a little hatchback looking. Still kept the 4.3L engine

Bottom line.
really cant pass judgment based on a picture alone. For sure lexus engineers designed the car to be better in every way than the previous GS.
Old 01-06-04, 09:10 AM
jaysonb
Driver School Candidate

Has there been a confirmed release date?

I know they are calling it a 2006, but sometimes manufactures jump the gun in that respect. I know in the past some car companies have released a car with the model year and actual year being very far apart.
Old 01-06-04, 09:10 AM
kam1996
Rookie

Default OK..After seeing the new GS I am sooo relieved..let me explain

I may be one of the few who dumped a decent amount of cash just a couple of months ago into a 2000 GS4..I am sure there are a lot of people here who may not be new GS owners but have invested a good chunk into their cars...ALL of us should be relived that the new GS looks to have kept the over all GS look and is not a drastic change from the last GS..like the new 5 series from the old......what i am trying to say is that he new GS is not going to make our cars look that OLD..JMHO...
Old 01-06-04, 09:12 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fellas:

From the pics I see here and the photoshop with the big-*** wheels on it I must say that I .........................LOVE THIS CAR> LOOKS AWESOME>

If I bought it the o nly mods I would do are big 20" 3-piece wheels staggered with a fat *** lip on th erear and drop suspension 1-1.5 inches. Thats it! - No body work , cuse the body looks phenomenal.

I agree, more hp would be nice but really, when are you gonna truly need 300+ hp?

extra $$ for extra hp is just a waste imho.

I know I'm gonna get slapped HARD for that last statement but thats what i really feel.

LOVE THE NEW GS BUT MY '99 GS WILL LIVE ON FOR 5 more years.

Ted
Old 01-06-04, 09:16 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

I agree that the 98-03 looks a lot better, but I can see this growing on me, as others have said. I was afraid that the new design would distanct itself from the 2nd gen models but it kinda looks like the Maxima (of course Nissan copied Lexus). I wonder how the AWD will work with 300hp? Plus they redesigned the Traction control, so this may be the saving factors (more power to the ROAD), BUT I too am disappointed that it STILL is only at 300hp. I was expecting at least 350hp. Maybe Lexus will have a sports edition, I mean they still have until later this year (if it comes out in 2005) to do something.

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19