GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 09:19 AM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not like the 2nd Gen GS at all when it was released. It took about 1 year to grow on me. The 2nd Gen has a look that's different than others and that makes it special. I can spot a GS from a distance by it's headlights and tails. I just hope Lexus has an upgraded suspension and wheels/brakes so the car doesn't have to be modified from day 1. I like the new design and I also love the Maxima. I was one step away from purchasing a new Altima when the sales person asked me about other cars that I was considering. I responded with the Lexus GS model. He said "the rear tails looks like those of the GS". I know that I wanted the real thing and not a look alike. So I went to the Lexus Dealer and purchased a GS3.I think Lexus is waiting too long to have the car ready for the consumer. MB/BMW and other competitors are working on others projects..
Old 01-06-04, 09:22 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

alright seriously, if you want those things, dont buy a lexus bc thats not the routes that lexus takes.

i dont buy lexus for its performance, it is not something they try to stand out in.... i mean, the sc, is not a super sports car, its a cruiser, that is fast.... you see many more old people driving them than young....

the gs, especially second gen, i imagine a mom driving... no offense to people on here bc there are some sick *** gs300s on here, but when i think about a gs300 i think about a mom driving it. ive actually recommended it to many moms....

lexus vehicles are "ultra-low emissions vehicles" which means that they arent going to be pushing any 400hp and still making them low emission. so until lexus decides they want to make a powerful sporty sedan or coupe, i wouldnt plan on seeing anything of that sort any time soon. lexus is in the market to make a reliable, luxurious, quiet cruising vehicle. if you notice, they make each model more quiet, and more isolated from the environment with their sound dampening materials, drive by wire steering and throttle, and sophisticated automatic transmissions. laser cruise control being offered on their vehicles as well only makes it less that you actually have to do....

this new gs is just like anything lexus makes... it wont be extremely fast, wont be the BEST looking thing on the road, but i am very sure that it will be amazingly quiet and reliable and will be a great daily driver.

if you want a performance oriented midsize sedan, i recommend looking toward another brand

Just my opinion -

eric

edit: as far as the people on here modifying their gs, i love it. to take a car that is reliable, quiet, and luxurious, and then add the thing its missing (performance) is seriously badass. bc in reality, its much easier to add performance to lexus, than to add reliability to bmw, audi, or mercedes....

Last edited by EGainer; 01-06-04 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-06-04, 09:24 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

If this is a repost, please delete:

We've just introduced the car at the Detroit auto show this morning. Here is the press release

Lexus introduced the new GS luxury sport sedan today at a press conference at the North American International Auto Show. The all-new, more powerful GS utilizes the latest in advanced technology to improve both performance and handling and is the first in a new wave of Lexus products to reflect a new, more passionate direction in styling.

"From a technology standpoint, the GS employs a sophisticated array of advanced safety, comfort and convenience features that will cause even the most enthusiastic driver to take notice," said Denny Clements, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "From a design standpoint, the new GS will be the first vehicle in our lineup to benefit from a new, more passionate direction in styling."

First All-Wheel Drive Model
Significantly, the new GS will feature all-wheel-drive, the first such application in any Lexus car, and offer the performance enhancements and advanced vehicle control of the Lexus Vehicle Dynamic Management (VDM) system. Monitoring a variety of sensors, the system is capable of anticipating the onset of a vehicle skid or slide and then helps correct the situation with a combination of braking and throttle control. The new VDM system is less obtrusive than conventional VSC but ultimately more effective.

Performance Optimized
Joining the potent and refined 4.3-liter V8 will be an all-new 245-horsepower V6 engine replacing the current inline six. Both the powerful V6 and V8 engines benefit from an all-new close-ratio 6-speed automatic transmission with a sequential manual-shifting mode. The combination provides faster and substantially smoother acceleration for even better performance and, surprisingly, improved fuel economy. A new Adaptive Variable Suspension allows the driver to fine-tune suspension damping with four settings ranging from normal-mode for everyday driving to a sport-mode for a tighter, more precise feel.

New Lexus Design Direction
From an architectural standpoint, the GS marks a move towards a more sculptural direction... that is artistic, dynamic, simple... yet intriguing. A two-inch longer wheelbase and short overhangs on the new GS creates a wide, powerful stance. A long hood, pulled-back cabin and slingshot windows recall classic sports car proportions and the vertical grille surrounded by four independent headlamps connects the new GS with the outgoing model, but with a futuristic look. The front also features an aggressive lower valence with integrated fog lamps. Dynamic 18-inch wheels on the V8 model help tie the muscular yet elegant look together.

The creation of a unique spatial feeling in the passenger compartment is central to the new Lexus design direction. The interior of the new GS has a precision, luxury feel with ultra-premium wood, polished metal and leather accents. Everything inside the GS is designed and styled to create a haven for peaceful comfort and relaxation, from contoured and supportive front seats with optional climate control to the standard 10-speaker audio system with simple steering wheel controls.

New Intelligent Luxury Sport Sedan
In addition to a new look and feel, the new GS also improves upon the increasingly complex nature of automotive technology. The GS offers numerous standard features, such as a keyless SmartAccess that allows the driver to lock, unlock and start the car simply by touching the door handle (with a key fob in pocket) and then simply pressing a push-button to start. An advanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPM) can detect and notify the driver, via an indicator warning light, of a significant loss in pressure in one or more tires, a condition that could potentially lead to premature tire wear and loss of control. The GS will also feature the Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), which helps illuminate a turn or curve as the driver steers into it.

A rear back-up camera is also added for 2006, providing an extra margin of confidence when reversing the vehicle. Available in conjunction with the optional navigation system, it automatically projects an image of what the camera lens can detect behind the vehicle onto the navigation screen when the vehicle is in the reverse gear.

"With the new GS we took all that was good in terms of technology and found ways to make it more intuitive, more intelligent and more relevant to the needs of its driver," said Clements.

Advanced Safety Features
The GS will also offer an optional Pre-Collision System (PCS) that can help reduce collision injury and damage. The system uses a millimeter-wave radar sensor to detect obstacles in front of the car and a pre-collision system computer with vehicle speed, steering angle and yaw rate inputs that help to determine in advance whether a collision is unavoidable. The system then preemptively retracts front seat belts and prepares Brake Assist for increased braking force to help reduce collision speed.

In addition, the new GS gains new knee airbags for the driver and front passenger as well as front and rear side curtain airbags as standard equipment. The Supplemental Restraint System in the new GS also includes variable-force front airbags for both driver and front passenger. Sensors determine the severity of the accident and in turn the force with which to deploy the front airbags, helping to provide the appropriate level of occupant restraint.

"Nearly every feature on the GS makes this sports sedan more manageable and more engaging to drive," said Clements.

Preliminary Specifications
Wheelbase: 112.2 in.
Length: 189.8 in.
Width: 71.7 in.
Height: 56.1 in.
Engines: 3.0 liter V6 - 245 hp; 228 lb.-ft. of torque
4.3 liter V8 - 300 hp; 325 lb.-ft. of torque
Transmission: 6-speed sequential automatic
Old 01-06-04, 09:24 AM
kenshin
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
Well no matter what If they don't add more HP they will lose customers. We need atleast 350HP especially with these new turboed cars. 300hp in the class the GS is in is under, lets hope that the 6pd auto will make it faster thru the 1/4...............

We don't know yet how much HP the V-8 GS would bring. Nothing is official yet. True they could lose customer as GS is slotted on the High Performance sedan. With the HP unchanged and the competition is way ahead in the HP wars, Lexus may have made a mistake.
Old 01-06-04, 09:27 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default off the topic

Off the subject, I never seen SO MANY members in this section at one time This thread is going to be huge, heheh a CL record maybe.

Last edited by D-MAN63; 01-06-04 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-06-04, 09:28 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

From my post it seems the new GS gets a 4-stage suspension dampering system, and some other features. Hmmmmmm Starting to look better already....
Old 01-06-04, 09:29 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a feeling the new gs430 engine is gonna be 340 hp, since the "concept" is430 at the la autoshow is 340 hp.
Old 01-06-04, 09:32 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sitting on the fence with the styling...front looks good, but rear leaves me scratching my head. I need more time. But none of that matters if they don't add power! Where's a 4.7 liter with 350+ Hp?? Where's the paddle shifters! Come on Lexus...this is THE sports sedan!!! Rule number 1 for every new gen is to add power! Lexus will definitely not get Import car of the year again at this rate.
Old 01-06-04, 09:33 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

i have a feeling that the new GS430 will have 340hp since the IS430 "concept" vehicle at the LA autoshow has a 340 hp engine.
Old 01-06-04, 09:34 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DaveGS4
I am not the Lexus police, I am the ClubLexus police.
You need to follow the forum rules you agreed to when you joined just like everyone else here.
LOL! That's pretty funny.

At any rate............ I SERIOUSLY need to see larger high-res pics to be more judgemental.

Now then......... Initial impression:

First thing that strikes me is that the car looks damn nice from a distance!
The Interior, specifically those seats are HOTT!!!
I'm feeling the "overall stance" of the car.
Nice touch(s) w/ the LED's & Projector Xenons.
I can't quite make out what that lower bar-type item is beneath the doors... Aerodynamics or Step-Assist?
Anyone notice the side-shot of the headlamps? The lens covers have that protruding effect ~alla~ Infinti FX.

OVERALL... I give it a B - for Design. And that is if it's TRULY the FINAL design.... Since the car is still another YEAR off.... Have you guys considered the fact that Lexus may hear our/others cries, and give it yet another Facelift? I think it's possible........ VERY!

My BIG question is POWERPLANT & STATS??? Surely it should out handle the current model with that stance. And in fact.... I venture to say it is riding on a longer wheelbase and is WIDER overall.

Remove that front tomato-slicer grille and install say a RMM like I had (single straight color-matched bar) and the front end should be Okay. And a roof-spoiler will definitely spice up the rear profile. I like what appears to be a rear-underbody diffuser too.

Yes... I believe we must all admit.... there are some Maxima/Japanese-esque style going on here. But... That's not a bad looking car either folks! And to the discerning eyes... there are CLEAR & OBVIOUS differences!

I have a distinct feeling that if we were to see this car in PERSON..... Things would be a little different/positive.

TX

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 01-06-04 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-06-04, 09:34 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Frankly, I am surprised at the lukewarm reaction to the new GS. I wouldn't say it looks like a Maxima or an Accord... The Maxima is slab-sided and edgy, with weird 'sausage' fender flares. The Accord, while certainly a nice design, looks like a $26K car, not a $55K+ car.

In reality, how aggressive can you really get with a four-door design? Look how aggressive the new 5-series is, and how it's design really polarizes people: they love it or they hate it. To me, the new GS is conservative enough for the typical Lexus customer (they aren't all 25 year-olds), but unique enough to be Lexus' sport-sedan flagship.

I really like what I am seeing with the new GS. For me, when the new GS is available, I will be in one (with 21" HREs)- I am certain the car will be breathtaking in person!

-Bob
Old 01-06-04, 09:37 AM
camtrek
Driver

I see a bunch of cars in it. for one I see the new Camry Solara, Honda Accord, and the Maxima. It alos holds some of the previous' GS lines. Hope it doesn't weigh to much more then the current one cause even with the power increase it's not going to improve it's 0-60.

All in all it's a meh.

But let's see it in the show room.
Old 01-06-04, 09:38 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we need a thread for just pictures
and we need hi-res pics ASAP

Erick G
Old 01-06-04, 09:40 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

dude, people are posting replies like every second! this thread rocks!
Old 01-06-04, 09:41 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yah...i agree with you guyz...it looks like a Nissan Maxima. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2nd generation GS was Italian-designed....right (thats what I read somewhere)? Anyone knows who did this 2005 re-design? Japan designers trying to improve on the current look? If that's the case....they failed horribly!!

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19