GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 11:39 AM
fudsnob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Features other than the style and design...

Well, I will wait until I see the new GS in person and reserve judgement on the styling.

But I can see that there are two big features that would affect my decision on whether to purchase the new GS or not:

I love the fact that the new transmission is a 6 speed auto. It should provide for smoother and more assertive shifting. I'm very happy to see this being featured in new autos.

I hate the fact that the new GS300 will have a V6 engine instead of the Inline 6. I would prefer to buy the smooth '01-'03 GS300 with its Inline 6 rather than a V6 equipped auto.
Old 01-06-04, 11:39 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jimxo
Still a nice car but not the feeling I got when the 97 came out.
My sentiments exactly. When the redesigned GS came out in '97, I knew I HAD to have the car. Maybe with all this build up and hype for the newest GS, it could never live up to the heightened expectations. I'm sure the new GS will be a fantastic car, and chances are good I'll buy one in a few years. But I was hoping for a design that would make me want to run to my dealer and slap down a deposit.
Old 01-06-04, 11:40 AM
LexFather

he probably didnt mention the hP for the V8 cuz its probably the same 300hp. I am now convinced that Lexus does not know how to build powerful engines and they will obviously never be able to compete with the big boys
Toyota F-1 and Team Lexus disproves this theory. And consider the 5.0 liter Benz V-8 makes 302 hp, 2 more hp with 1 more liter than the OLD Lexus 4.0 V-8. BMW made their 282hp out a 4.4 liter engine, the new one 325hp with a 4.5 liter engine.
Old 01-06-04, 11:40 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by SoCalSC4

In reality, how aggressive can you really get with a four-door design? Look how aggressive the new 5-series is, and how it's design really polarizes people: they love it or they hate it. -Bob
But I think this is the exact thing you want for a "flagship" design. You want the folks who like it to really really like it and it's ok that some people hate it. You don't want to please everyone (it would be great if you could but unlikely). Look at the Cadillac "edge" design. You don't have to like it but they took a gamble to define who Cadillac is. Lexus did not do that with this design, it's rather generic.

IMO Lexus did not do that with this design, there's no emotion in it for me.
Old 01-06-04, 12:11 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wow mine's changed too!

nice chopped trance!! THANK U!
Old 01-06-04, 12:14 PM
legendary
Racer

chopped its definitely hot....hmmmm
Old 01-06-04, 12:17 PM
mrweaver7
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Rob L
it is a shame that the prestige of Lexus has been downgraded from all the young guys buying them and *****ing that they don't have 12.3 million horsepower and can do the 1.2 mile in a blink of the eye.

I miss the days when lexus' were seen as young people as "old man" cars and all the young people would jizz over BMWs. It was ncie when people saw them as what they are- cars that are designed to provide great luxury and some decent performance but not designed ot be track cars or midnight street racers.

BTW I am 25 and have been a lexus owner since 96.
I completely agree RobL. I am 24 and I hear so many complaints about the new GS not having more than 300hp. TO EVERYONE THAT IS COMPLAINING, WHEN HAS LEXUS EVER BEEN KNOW FOR THEIR STYLING OR PERFORMANCE? Exactly!!! I think Lexus is evolving but at the same time, will not risk what they have been known for; refinement & luxury. For everyone that wants more horsepower, buy a supercharger or something else. For individuals like myself, I like the GS just like it is. I don't race in my 53,000 luxury sports car. I do that with a S2000 or other little hot rod cars.
Old 01-06-04, 12:20 PM
mrweaver7
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by brendanlim
Drop and some light tint looks mighty fine
Yeah but not to the point where they made a super sports car with 1000 hp.
Old 01-06-04, 12:26 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's a chop for you guys
Attached Thumbnails The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19-new-gs.jpg  

Last edited by EGainer; 01-06-04 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 12:32 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Originally posted by legendary
chopped its definitely hot....hmmmm
gstrance can photochop any car and make it hot! the point is, we are having to chop the new GS to make it look nice. hopefully, like others have said, it will look better in person or grow on us.
Old 01-06-04, 12:33 PM
mrweaver7
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by EGainer
here's a chop for you guys
In my opinion, it already looks nice w/o the chops.
Old 01-06-04, 12:38 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

i like the gs as it is, but people like to mod cars, just showing the potential it has for mods.... and having fun
Old 01-06-04, 12:40 PM
mrweaver7
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by EGainer
i like the gs as it is, but people like to mod cars, just showing the potential it has for mods.... and having fun
Exactly. Therefore, I don't think that people should say that Lexus should mod cars like the pics above to make them interesting. I think if the individuals want to mod their cars, go ahead.
Old 01-06-04, 12:55 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

no one said that lexus should mod their cars like that...... we're just modding

anyway, i like the gs now, i want to see one in person and drive one, but i like how it looks...
Old 01-06-04, 01:03 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Its Growing on me!

I think the new GS is somewhat growing on me in a soft kinda way!
For example: When the Caddilac CTS first came out I thought "This car is the Ugliest Beast to be in sheet metal besides the Pontiac Aztek - Two years or so later - now I'm digging the CTS..

For me to come around in one day - rather than two years is saying the car has potential.
I do wish lexus would have made their styling more agressive but then a how agressive can we get?
Maybe we wish it look Skyline-ish with widebody and the racing look, basically ready to race model.
I think part of the problem is most of us have seen GS's and other cars all modded up and its influence our judgement somewhat.
I think it has evolved nicley but not as racy as we want!

It just makes me love my GS even more. I may decide in a year or so to get one.. For right now - I'm fighting the temptation from other manufacturers Mercedes E55 Supercharged 469 HP and Caddilac CTS 400 HP.. I wish we get some numbers on the GS..

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19