GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04 | 02:26 PM
lexmaster
Driver School Candidate

Angry Wow! Talk about regression!

I have been waiting in great anticipation for the last couple of years for the new generation GS. In speaking with my dealership managers they all have told me how Lexus is going straight after the 5 series. They kept telling me that Lexus is now going to be more performance oriented, and will take its own styling cues which will be outstanding. I have lost sleep over the anticipation, have read thousands of posts, and have looked at hundreds of chopped up pics claiming to be the new GS.

And then this morning happened. Oh my, I wish it had not! What a huge let down! A Maxima look alike rolls out from behind the curtains! Can you believe that??? I love Lexus and own a 2002 LS, but my jaw just dropped at the sight of the car. What were they thinking?? No HP increase for the V8, which is absolutely ridiculous but strategically they are doing that to protect the 4.3 LS. But looks wise? A Maxima look alike of all things? They have copied Mercedes in the past and now they copy the Maxima? This is a company that claims to be going upscale in its appeal so that they can compete with the likes of MB worldwide and not just in the USA. Wow! I am ashamed and absolutely disgusted that this car resembles a Maxima and the look from the side and rear is without a doubt a Maxima! Kudos to Lexus who had the opportunity of a lifetime to blow by the E and 5 in one moment, yet gave all the cynics and Lexus critics the ammunition to claim that this company is nothing more than a knock off. And even worst, Lexus known for its amazing and beautiful interiors comes up with nothing more than an evolutionary design to the ES not the GS. I am absolutely disgusted with Lexus today. Not to mention the IS looking front. I like the IS but this is the GS. I am afraid what they will do with the 2006/07 LS. OH, and now Chrysler of all companies will have 2 less than $33,000 cars with 340 hp (300C and Magnum). What a blow by Lexus! How embarassing to own a Lexus.
Old 01-06-04 | 02:28 PM
LexFather

When has Lexus ever been known for styling and performance
Hmm, let's see.
1st gen ES 300, what the 1st gen Acura TL copied
3rd gen ES 300, looks like no other car on the road

1st gen SC 300/400, copied from the old Nissan 240SX, Honda Del Sol (headlights) etc etc. Some say one of the finest looking cars every built..

1st gen GS, styled by Guigario, you know, the guy that styles Ferrari's etc

2nd gen GS, copied by everyone and their momma, from the sweeping curverd roof, the sweeping quad headlights (new E-class), the turn signals in the headlight, (G35, ALtima, Maxima, etc etc), rear quads (only sedan with this with the IS 300). Interior sweeping wood copied by the 2nd Gen Tl.

RX 300, Kia Sorento is an exact knock-off aka replica, MDX takes same A/B/C pillar cues

IS 300, everybody and their momma stole the tailights. Interior will not be confused with anyone elses. Crease in the side stolen and put on the Altima.

LX 470, only SUV with quad headlights.

GS 400, 1998 fastest accelerating auto sedan. Lexus may have actually started a war they could not finish. Clearly, Jag went supercharged with the XJR, the E55 came, the M5 then now etc, etc etc.
Old 01-06-04 | 02:30 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I like all of it, but the new headlights are something I like a bit less.

Wonder if they will do a direct trade for my current GS, LOL.
Old 01-06-04 | 02:39 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Pearlpower
It appears (unless I missed it) that Lexus has not announced the specs for the V8 version. Could it be that it is still in the works?
Preliminary Specifications [GS430]
Wheelbase: 112.2 in.
Length: 189.8 in.
Width: 71.7 in.
Height: 56.1 in.
Engines: 3.0 liter V6 - 245 hp; 228 lb.-ft. of torque
4.3 liter V8 - 300 hp; 325 lb.-ft. of torque
Transmission: 6-speed sequential automatic

Old 01-06-04 | 02:40 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

I agree.

Lexus could have definitely stole the market. With the new E class reliability problems and the horrid looking 5, Lexus could have done something Great.

Instead they took a backseat.

I am extremely dissapointed. The Current GS is a DISTINCTIVE classy, luxo-sport cruiser. The new GS just looks Childish and immature.

Last edited by iloveGS300; 01-06-04 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-06-04 | 02:46 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

GSTRANCE- YOU ARE THE PHOTOSHOP GOD!!!!!!!!!!! (YES I'M YELLING!!!!!!)

On to the topic at hand.

STYLING-
I have been looking at this thread since 10am on my PDA but waited until I got home to see 'big screen' pics. I think it looks nice, yes Maxima-ish in the rear flanks, but as others have said, its the age old question of what came first the chicken or the egg!! I thought the new Maxima was BUTT ugly when it was introduced, and now, its one of my favorite cars (in dark colors without that big gunmetal gray snaggle tooth in the grille) Has anyone ever seen the new maxima modded nicely? It looks nice.

As 1SICK said, i'm sure the Lexus will have so many design elements that are subtle, when viewed in person they will be more evident. As for the 'hump back' styling, I think the GS has returned to its 1st Gen roots! The 1st gen was seriously hump backed, but the curvature of the rear door and window hid it. Notice that the hump is more pronounced due to the squarish shape of the rear door, if it was curved (like the 1st and 2nd gen) the hump would be less noticeable. I see lots of design cues in this car , especially when lowered:

Rear Flanks- Maxima, Bentley GT (what a combo eh? )
Rear- 97 Toyota Paseo (dont laugh, go look at one)
Nose- Toyota Solara, some other Toyota that I cant place
Side- Audi S6 (that lower 'rib')

This pic really shows its Bentley GT genes

I really like the strong character line it carries from the front fender, through the upper door line, to the rear fender. IMO, they did a good job, it is not a car that I find instanly ugly, as some of their other recent re-designs. I think with time more of you will grow to like it. I would really to see it, in the skin myself

INTERIOR-
I like the way they kept the flat plane around the shifter, it makes the cupholder soooo user friendly (for those that are laughing at me, go use a 1st Gen cupholder and see how elated YOU are when you sample the 2nd Gen's). I think the center stack mimicks the ES's albeit a little more narrow and sporty. I wonder if Lexus will copy Nissan and leave that NAV screen in all models, and use it as a 'information-center' in non-NAV models. I think they should, it really spruces up the dash.
The instrument pod looks nice as well, although I would really miss optiron!! Seems like it will have LOTS of new creature comforts that are nice!

ENGINE
Although many say that Lexus upped the ante in a major way power wise in 1998, I dont really think so. If you compare a 97 GS300 (220hp) to a 98 GS400 (300hp), then yes they did. But if you compare a 98 BMW 540 (282hp) with a 98 GS400 (300hp), then they just got a "competitive" lead. I think the 98 GS line was the foundation of the 2tiered GS (3 & 4) to combat the 2 tiered E (320 & 430), 2tiered 5 (528 & 540) and 2 tiered A6 (2.7 & 4.2). Now that the GS is established, Lexus does not 'have' to come out with a 400hp GS to 'one-up' itself. It would be nice to see a 25-40hp bump though .

You never know guys, they may be giving all this lead time to judge market reaction and make small adjustments, standard 17s or 18s, or a power bump of 20-25hp, etc etc.

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 01-06-04 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-06-04 | 02:49 PM
lexmaster
Driver School Candidate

What a ripoff!!!!!!!

Absolutely horrid looking copy of a Maxima! This is from the auto company that is the most profitable in the world and their executives don't have the guts nor the personalities to put a powerful engine in a $55,000 luxury car. Chrysler will have 2 cars under $33,000 fully loaded with 340 hp. This is from a car company who has entered the F1 circuit for what? To continue making 300 hp cars? Here was the opportunity to hit a home run, and they went for a single. Chrysler drops everyone's jaws with a 850 hp prototype that they built in one friggin year and Lexus gives us a Maxima copy in 7 years! Wow, I am terribly disheartened by this look and lack of ***** from Lexus executives to put a powerful V8 with at least 350 hp. That would make a statement! This car will go unnoticed in the press..
Old 01-06-04 | 02:52 PM
claymax
Driver School Candidate

Well in MY opinion the new GS is simply hideous. Looks like a bloated Maxima that's been chopped and lowered. Come on Lexus! First you ruin the classic lines of the SC, then you turn the ES into a Camry look alike and now this!? If it wasn't for your superlative engineering and reliability I wouldn't be back for a second look. Hopefully it will grown on me, but I was REALLY hoping for a love at first site and something more original. Yeah I know Lexus has 'borrowed' styling designs from the past, all manufacturers do, but but to me their design studio is moving from designing 'classics' to 'cutiepies'.

Still love Lexus, just a tad disappointed. ;(
Old 01-06-04 | 02:53 PM
B_Cruz
Driver

headlights remind me of the older SC's....

Old 01-06-04 | 02:58 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

this HP crying is getting old
why do you need more then 300hp for local roads?
much more to a car then some steroid producing engine..
and it doesnt look THAT close to a maxima..

erick G
Old 01-06-04 | 02:59 PM
Two-Times
Rookie

Default Ripoff!!

Come on Lexmaster!!! RIPOFF??? That's the pot calling the kettle black. If the maxima looks like the 2nd gen GS, then didn't they ripoff Lexus? And Lexus is just following its true design form. Think about that Mr. 5 Posts. Oh yeah, how can you even think to compare the Maxima to the GS? They are two totally different ranges of vehicles. Of course the GS is better, that's evident. For God's sake, the Maxima is a d*mn rental car, and it sucks. It feels like you're riding in a tin can. Trust me, my company rented one for me and it totally sucked. My company even apologized for renting me that car. Now that's funny. CHURCH!!!

PIMPS UP, YOU KNOW THE REST!!! CHURCH!!!

HAHAHAHA, YA'LL KNOW I'M JUST TRIPPIN HAVING FUN. IT'S NOT THAT SERIOUS. CHURCH!!!

Last edited by Two-Times; 01-06-04 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-06-04 | 03:03 PM
z32
Intermediate

The more I look at it, I'm getting more 'ok' w/ it.

Front End: like a Toyota Solaris?

SIde: Infiniti G35 Coupe?

Rear End: like a Corola bumper w/ a Maxima glass?

The interior actually I would prefer to be a bit more 'curvey'. It's a bit too bold and flat. I prefer the current GS over this one.

Wish that they will come up w/ the GS470 rather than keeping the GS430 engine. All Audi/BMW/MB/Ford/Cadi have gone to 4.5 liter or more engine... Lex needs to take part in this HP war. BUT DO NOT get into the supercharge / turbocharge idea since I do not think the engine will last 'long'. N/A will be better.
Old 01-06-04 | 03:06 PM
LexFather

Absolutely horrid looking copy of a Maxima! This is from the auto company that is the most profitable in the world and their executives don't have the guts nor the personalities to put a powerful engine in a $55,000 luxury car. Chrysler will have 2 cars under $33,000 fully loaded with 340 hp. This is from a car company who has entered the F1 circuit for what? To continue making 300 hp cars? Here was the opportunity to hit a home run, and they went for a single. Chrysler drops everyone's jaws with a 850 hp prototype that they built in one friggin year and Lexus gives us a Maxima copy in 7 years! Wow, I am terribly disheartened by this look and lack of ***** from Lexus executives to put a powerful V8 with at least 350 hp. That would make a statement! This car will go unnoticed in the press..
Those semi-Hemi 340hp cars will probably do 0-60 in slower than a milk van like the Q45. It's more than power, weight and the tranny (gears) come into play.

I am confused. The "only" 290hp LS 430 and "only" 300hp GS 430 does 0-60 AT LEAST even and Faster than all competitors. They are even faster with the 6-speed auto.

Who looks sillier, the guy with 340hp, grabbing his ***** thinking he is hot stuff that goes slow or the woman with 290hp that is faster? Think about that.

The V-8 AUDI S4 is a prime example. 90 more HP than the old model. 340 V-8 vs 250hp TT V-6. The V-8 is NO FASTER (weight penalty) than a car with 90 MORE HP.

The 265 hp 3.5 liter 6th gen Maxima is a tick faster than the old 4th generation 190hp, 3.0 liter V-6.
The new 340 hp A-8 is slower than the old 300hp A-8.

I won't argue looks, that is subjective.
Old 01-06-04 | 03:08 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Default NEWS FLASH New GS430 (confidential)

My mole at Lexus emailed me this today.

It went like this:

HIM:

Well, have you seen it yet??
> They have plenty of pics on the Lexus pressroom
> web-site. A couple of
> other vehicles there as well

ME:

Yes, I was there online watching it.

It looks great. very nice car. Alot of money I'm sure?

I need to see it in other colors to get a good feel
for it. I must say I still like my GS. Not as big of a
splash as I hope to see. I was looking for more steak
than sizzle. Dont take me the wrong way but I knew it
would be hard for Lexus to top the current GS?

HIM:

Yes , I do agree with you. The car could have been more. The Japanese
are
soooo conservative though, at least at Toyota/Lexus. But there will be
more to the GS story after the car is launched. That's about all I can
say
right now!
It is hard to improve on something when it is so right. The HPX is
nice
and will be coming soon. The Hybrid RX400h is due this Oct.
Just after the GS will be a all new IS series. Thay are making it more
BMW
3 series ish, and what I mean by that is more IS models.
Lunch, yes that sounds good. Let me know what works for you 2
gentleman
and I will check my sched.

What's in store for the GS?

HYBRID?
AWD?
OPTIONAL MOTOR?
STICK ?

Huummm....

Last edited by jimxo; 01-06-04 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-06-04 | 03:09 PM
pfsacer
Driver

Sorry it took so long to react, but can anybody say COLD SHOWER ?

We did it ourselves to get into the hype, but Lexus didn't help with the (great looking) LF-S and HPX

And then they come (after 7 years) with a Maxima clone, and proberbly the same spec engine

What is happening to this world, Beamers that look like shi., Lexus that is waiting (??) for 2005 to come with an LF-S based new LS ?

When I was younger I didn't have the money to buy nice cars, now that I do they don't make them anymore unless you fork over 100k+

I am still going to Detroit but will spend a lot less time hanging around the Lexus booth that is unfortunate but for sure.

I a way it is a good thing they bring it in 2005, gives me a year to get over this loss

Lexus had THE opportunity tocome with something different, ahaead of the pack, and they bring a Maxima on steroids ???????????

I hope they sell a lot of Prius so they can concentrate on that part of the business and leave the real cars to others (DO THEY STILL EXIST ?)

Sorry about the long story but I hate COLD showers in the morning

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19