GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 03:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts
Default Re: Wow! Talk about regression!

Originally posted by lexmaster
I have lost sleep over the anticipation...

...What a huge let down!

...No HP increase for the V8, which is absolutely ridiculous but strategically they are doing that to protect the 4.3 LS.

... I am ashamed and absolutely disgusted that this car resembles a Maxima and the look from the side and rear is without a doubt a Maxima!

... I am absolutely disgusted with Lexus today.

... OH, and now Chrysler of all companies will have 2 less than $33,000 cars with 340 hp (300C and Magnum). What a blow by Lexus! How embarassing to own a Lexus.
If you're let down, ashamed, absolutely disgusted and embarassed, I think you need to get a grip.

As far as the engine size and power, the actual shipment of the GS is a long way off and engines could definitely change before then. They couldn't announce a different engine at this time and upstage the LS.

Personally I think they should not have made this announcement at all if delivery really is over a year away.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-06-04 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 03:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by iloveGS300
IThe new GS just looks Childish and immature.
How do you equate those adjectives with the new design?
Old 01-06-04, 03:16 PM
lexmaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey don't get me wrong here guys. I love Lexus and loved their quality and interiors. I own an LS and the MB S class doens't compare inside. But I was expecting a lot more from this car. Yes, of course a 300 hp GS will take the 300C, but it's about more than that. All I'm saying is Toyota can ante up the game with their hp and stop whining that they wont' play that game when they are in F1 and have produced absolutely nothing that is truly performance oriented. This car to me is a huge disappointment b/c the exterior is a Maxima look alike and I dont' care if Lexus is better. I dont' want it to look like your rental car. The interior is not as sharp as Lexus can and has produced, I was expecting better. And the hp, well you know my feelings about that. It would be nice to show up in a 350-400 hp unmodified Lexus to a party and say, ya that's my ride. When you pay so much for a car, you're not only purchasing quality. You want some bragging rights to, I'm sick of always arguing with ppl that yes my LS has 290 hp, but it does go pretty quick.
Old 01-06-04, 03:16 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by jimxo; 01-06-04 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 03:18 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Personally I think they should not have made this announcement at all if delivery really is over a year away.
Bit I totally agree. There's gonna be too much speculation and not enough realization. I think most of us can agree that even with the unveiling of the Detroit press release, the entire GS secret isn't totally out yet.
Old 01-06-04, 03:21 PM
lexmaster
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know where I can watch the actual press conference? I have looked on the Lexus website and there isn't a link?
Old 01-06-04, 03:22 PM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

WOW....Im diggin' it!!!!

Way to go Lexus!!!!!
Old 01-06-04, 03:24 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all this talk about nissan / maxima....

doesn't anyone think besides me that the GS looks like a stretched Audi A4?

even if the new GS looks like a nissan maxima or altima to some...
if you've ever owned or driven one of the two cars...
you'll know the difference between material decisions, density of
the chosen materials, thickness of materials, and the fit and finish...

i remember when i was at the autoshow... and tried to sit in
every car that was available...

all i can say is that... all of the lexus and toyota cars were intact... nothing broken
or missing...

in all of the nissan and infiniti cars... they were missing or had cracked plastic
parts and trims... i remembered in the 350z... the trim around the gauges were
gone... the lower kick panel on the driver side door was cracked...
and the cover for the radio was so loose and the latch was broken that it
wouldn't stay closed....

as for the engine...
i think this is what lexus is planning....

everyone knows lexus as the reliability champion of automakers....
why enter the market with a new car with two new engines?

why not test out one engine as a new release and keep the reliable / tested
v8 for reliabiltiy points... (incase anything happens to the new V6)... if there are
any problems with the new engine.... tweak it... and solidify it...
then, when you know you've got a rock solid v6 engine with the rock solid
v8 engine.... then bump it up and release a new engine....
anyone else agree?

Old 01-06-04, 03:25 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lexusk8
Bit I totally agree. There's gonna be too much speculation and not enough realization. I think most of us can agree that even with the unveiling of the Detroit press release, the entire GS secret isn't totally out yet.

i think they're hiding something...

next model -
WS500 (worldsport 5.0L)
hehehe...

4 door LS wheelbase, short overhangs, 5.0L - 450 hp...

hehehehee

Last edited by TerryTCL; 01-06-04 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 03:25 PM
pfsacer
Driver

JimXO

Good luck that will be over a year of more suspense, and another cold shower ?

Even if they put in a 500+ HP engine, AWD etc, it still doesn't change the look.

Instead of coming with something similar to the LF-S (which I guess will be the new LS), they come with a Fat Maxima look_a_like

Very disappointing, but thta is my opinion off course

They left a wide open opportunity to come with a revolution, they just came with a mild makeover
Interior about the same, outside same lines but fatter
Old 01-06-04, 03:30 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

I apologize if this has been stated before but here are my 2cents:

Very early in this thread i said that the anticipation for the unveiling was like the MATRIX RELOADED/REVOLUTIONS for me (big MATRIX FAN) and i was told that "WE HOPE NOT, SINCE MATRIX WAS A DISAPPOINTMENT"

This is EXACTLY how I feel....I LOVE THE MOVIE and now this CAR but... its just not what i expected!

I mean we have been hearing to a tone that LEXUS will "REINVENT" the wheel with the GS but sadly to it does look like "MAXIMA ON STERIODS" Honestly the cars looks are growing on me with tthe BIG A$$ and all and maybe and maybe I will start to like it so much and end up buying it BUT this morning when Me and my wife were getting ready to goto work and i brought up the pics we literraly went "DAMMIT!, that looks like a MAXIMA..what the hell" WE have a BLK 99 Gs300 with 50k and im putiing19" on it very soon and I could not be more happier after seeing the new LEXUS since OUR LEXUS still looks better.

I was watching a show CNBC the other day and they stated a fact that INFINITI with its G35 and FX has surpassed LEXUS in quality and innovation (wow i cant blv i am saying that) and we have to wait and see that how LEX comes back on top.

Sorry for the long post.......I still like this photoshopped view of the NEW LEX:
Attached Thumbnails The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19-post-44-1066435442.jpg  

Last edited by NYlexus; 01-06-04 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 03:33 PM
jaysonb
Driver School Candidate

I can't believe people are comparing any Chrysler products to a Lexus product.

A Toyota Camry uses better overall materials and is assembled better than a Dodge Viper.
Old 01-06-04, 03:35 PM
LexFather

Edit.

Some good side by sides of the Max and GS.....Crap....But the interiors are 2 different worlds..

Last edited by LexFather; 01-06-04 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 03:36 PM
lexmaster
Driver School Candidate

Let's face it, I don't think they are hiding something. I have been thinking they were hiding something for a couple of years, but it turned out not true. I knew it was to good to be true, b/c they don't want to step over the LS with more power. Only possibility now is that the 2006/07 LS will have a 5.0 L and at least 350 hp. But knowing Lexus, I think we will get a 315 hp engine. I am starting to get accustomed to the look, after all I like the Maxima's look, but I wish that Lexus did not copy it. The front headlights look unimaginative, the designer did not know what to do. Lexus please hire a real designer, after all, Toyota made $5.0 Billion profit the last 6 mos. You can certainly afford it. What's worst for Lexus is that they squandered this opportunity. DaimlerChrysler has been down for the last couple of years b/c of Chrysler and now that they are getting hot new products, guess where those profits (and they will make a hefty profit trust me) will be heading to in the next few years? Of course to MB. Lexus could've had them on this one, but didn't go for it. Too bad. Once DCX refocuses on MB, then Lexus could be in for a rough ride. I love Lexus and hope this doesn't happen, but I thought today would be the beginning of something special. But it was not to be.
Old 01-06-04, 03:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
To me, the new GS is conservative enough for the typical Lexus customer (they aren't all 25 year-olds), but unique enough to be Lexus' sport-sedan flagship.
I'd bet 99% of buyers of GS cars today (new, not used) at WELL over 30, forget 25. In Atlanta at least, the IS seems to be taking off with the under 30 crowd.

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19