GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 05:59 PM
lexmaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Bub, ONLY the LS has ever resembled any Mercedes. No other Lexus has ever looked like any Benz. The Maxima resembles the GS but as I stated maybe 4 or 5 pages ago, when u look at design details, this is why one costs 55k and one costs 25k. "God is in the details".......

Again, the Maxima is an obvious GS II copy, if that car came out in 1998 and the 2004 Maxima looks like it, well, if the 2006 GS III is an evolution of the GS II, the Maxima therefore still resembles the GS, not the other way around.

It doesn't matter which came first, the egg or the chicken. Bottom line is, it still is a Maxima. I don't want to explain to ppl what you just wrote above. You don't spend $55 K on the car and expect to make excuses and accusations that really the Maxima copied the GS. I think I am the most upset person in here. I was expecting a lot more. I am heading to the auto show this weekend to hopefully change my mind.
Old 01-06-04, 06:08 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

The new GS may look similar upon first glance, but the GS looks faster (swept-back styling), more muscular, and more substantial.

In regards to the engine, I am glad they finally gave more horsepower in the base model. As far as the V8 goes, the current engine is pretty powerful. Most likely they will upgrade it in a couple years after its introduction just like the 2nd gen GS400 to GS430.

I agree with those who said they miss the optitron gauges, the new gauges look alright but the 2nd gen's is much better.
Old 01-06-04, 06:09 PM
LexFather

Thanks Seriously though I didn't realize these cars were biting off of the SC. Good point.
From the yellow fogs (ala Lexus) to the exact same crease in the side to the overall look of the car, the 240SX was a SC look alike. I have NO IDEA why they refuse to bring us the last gen 240SX (Sylvia) or Syline GT-R over, those 2 are GORGOUS and look like Nissans, not anything else. I love those 2.

I bet no one knows the design inspiration of the Accord 2 generations back was the American Eagle. And that when they squeezed in the first V-6 in the Accord, they had to stretch the hood 2 inches in front to make it fit. See, no copy of any other car. Good design.

People, don't take it when people say Lexus is a copier. B.S. Lexus is an innovator. Lexus is the one getting copied.
Old 01-06-04, 06:15 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like it, for the most part. I can see where the Maxima resemblence on the outside, but have to agree with 1SICK, you can't compare 25-30K to 45-55K. No matter how much effort Nissan puts into the Maxima, it'll never be as comfortable, quiet, and luxurious as the GS, that's what we pay for, right? To me, the front still says "Aristo". The back could have been better, but, if the ride, handling, quietness is there, it's all good.

Now, for the next thread...1SICKLEX...what's in store for YOUR next project car? GS or not GS, that is the QUESTION!
Old 01-06-04, 06:15 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

People, don't take it when people say Lexus is a copier. B.S. Lexus is an innovator. Lexus is the one getting copied.
I agree. If Nissan did the Maxima right, it would have looked more like the new GS.
Old 01-06-04, 06:16 PM
LexFather

It doesn't matter which came first, the egg or the chicken. Bottom line is, it still is a Maxima. I don't want to explain to ppl what you just wrote above. You don't spend $55 K on the car and expect to make excuses and accusations that really the Maxima copied the GS. I think I am the most upset person in here. I was expecting a lot more. I am heading to the auto show this weekend to hopefully change my mind
I agree at first the 2 resemble each other (like the generation now) but when you look at the Gen II GS or Gen III GS and see the subtle differences in the 3 cars, it is enough to see why the GS is the premier Japanese luxury sport sedan.

Look at the 2 silver pics, the GS looks hella better, to me.
Old 01-06-04, 06:16 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by lexmaster
It doesn't matter which came first, the egg or the chicken. Bottom line is, it still is a Maxima. I don't want to explain to ppl what you just wrote above. You don't spend $55 K on the car and expect to make excuses and accusations that really the Maxima copied the GS. I think I am the most upset person in here. I was expecting a lot more. I am heading to the auto show this weekend to hopefully change my mind.
I think you don't understand what Sick is trying to said. He said that the Maxima is copied the GS II and now when the GS III is out, everybody think it's a Maxima. The Altima has same over hang like the GS II and the Maxima started the similar line with the Altima. And wait a minute, now the GS III has the similar line with GS II, everybody said " Oh, it's a Maxima" give me a break. Enough about this topic, let get to the GS. I love it. I don't care about you. I'm sorry, it's the most dissappoint for you and upset you a lot. Hey, my GS is parting out soon..
Old 01-06-04, 06:23 PM
LexFather

Now, for the next thread...1SICKLEX...what's in store for YOUR next project car? GS or not GS, that is the QUESTION
Let me say something. I did not really realize how fine the GS was of a car until I went in December and climbed into everything from the SRT-4/MP-3, to Acura TSX/TL to the G35s/Q45 to the new E/5/7 to the Denali/Murano/Maxima. I guess I am European in taste since I favor interiors and fit and finish and ergonomics to 0-60 and my car can beat your mommas car. The farther I try to get from the GS, the more I think it is home. I will fess up, I came very, very close to a G35 coupe,pearl white/black leather, loaded without NAV. Very, close.

I do know I will be banging on sponsors doors since I hit the meets/show circuit all the time now. Instead of me just buying their products, I think we could be a great team.
Old 01-06-04, 06:36 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The farther I try to get from the GS, the more I think it is home. I will fess up, I came very, very close to a G35 coupe,pearl white/black leather, loaded without NAV. Very, close.
I do know I will be banging on sponsors doors since I hit the meets/show circuit all the time now. Instead of me just buying their products, I think we could be a great team.
Don't get me wrong, the G35 is a wonderful and fun car (my g/f has a 6MT sedan, which I consider my weekend car). But, to me, you can't compare the 2. the G35 is meant to compare with the IS, not the GS. There are luxury, quietness, and comfort areas where the G35 lacks.

By the sounds of things, I think 1SICK has made up his mind and will be with us here in the GS forums for a while.
Old 01-06-04, 06:46 PM
LexFather

engine compartment looks interesting
That is the RX 400h, not the GS.

Ya'll play nice, going to bed....
Old 01-06-04, 06:50 PM
honda/acura fan
Rookie

at 1st i was scared the rear of the car did look a bit too much like the new max but as i viewed more and more pics, i saw how much more elegant the new GS is compared 2 the max, both inside and out, thus IMO, lex owners have nothing to worry abt....

also, i will purchase this car one day....maybe not my next car, but def right after my next one....this car will def turn heads and the interior is sumptious....i just hope it has at leastg 2/3 the features the new ls does and isnt disregarded in terms of features as the gen2 gs is (i.e. lex black sheep/neglected step child )
Old 01-06-04, 06:52 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

for the couple people asking if/why a 2006 model:

December 5, 2002 AUTO SPIES VOLUME 1 ISSUE 38

Details on next generation Lexus GS-series
Lexus Quattro?

So the other websites are telling you the new GS will be restyled for the 2004 model. Wrong!

The next GS comes in 2004 but as a 2005 model.

One of the reasons for the delay is because all GS's will have an AWD option.

Look for the car to be more radically styled than the previous, more conservative version.

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000112908.cfm

It makes sense that it would be a 2005 model given today's release.
Old 01-06-04, 07:03 PM
SCHEME
Pole Position

Alright, it's growing on me a little bit too. Check out the video on MSN Auto NAIAS report it looks better in motion. Even just spinning around
Old 01-06-04, 07:11 PM
gsWarrior
Pole Position

Here we go. We are already making excuses as to how this car does not resemble the Maxima...The bottom line is it does look like a Maxima and we as demanding luxury owners who want the best (Lexus is the best) want our Lexuses to get better and we don't want to defend our cars b/c it looks like a Maxima...The overall shape is no doubt a Maxima.
It doesn't matter which came first, the egg or the chicken. Bottom line is, it still is a Maxima. I don't want to explain to ppl what you just wrote above. You don't spend $55 K on the car and expect to make excuses and accusations that really the Maxima copied the GS.
i definately agree that the new GS is just a better looking Maxima. I happen to like the Maxima but i was definately expecting more. I think Lexus dropped the ball on this one. Maybe the design will grow on me but out of the gates
Old 01-06-04, 07:14 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

First things first, one of the salesman at the Lexus booth (I do not vouch for his knowledge or intelligence) at the SFO auto show said that the new GS would be out Jan. 2005. If the guy was right, it could be badged as an '06.

Some time ago there was a "What would you like in the next GS?". At the end, throwing out the vocal and usually minority ravings, the current GS owners really seemed to want an evolutionary (not revolutionary) styling. The majority weren't that interested in a power increase and if anything, 4WD was probably the most preferred new feature. Sure looks like Lexus listened to the thread, at least for styling. I haven't gone back and reviewed the thread but I also think that there was a lot of agreement about some suspension work which is also substantiated by the fact that most of the enthusiasts here start with modding on the suspension. No idea from the press release if they have done much to the suspension, that will have to wait till somebody can get their hands on one. As for power, the statements about Lexus power interests have already been made and we should keep in mind that it is probably very unlikely that the GS is going to get a special motor. The rumors about the V8 going to 5l are already out there and my guess would be that is going to be the natural evolution for the obligatory mid life update, say model year three, just like the GS430, and at that time, the LS and SC will also go up to 5l.

Obviously the Lexus owner is quite a bit different from the bimmer and merc owner in that very few of us will get excited if a) the reliability of this model drops to german territory or b) the pricing explores the limits that bimmer and merc are intent on finding. I have seen several new 530's on the lot with 58K stickers. If the new GS 430 comes with a base in the low 50's well equiped, the difference to a 545 is going to probably be in the neighborhood of 15K. That's a lot to get a car that is styled either as an ugly copy of a new TL or one that Acura got the styling right on and bimmer bangled, er, bungled. I was not one who immediately liked the current GS styling but it has really grown on me. If I see a negative, once again upholding old fart status, it is that the trunk on the GS is actually decent sized considering the size of the car, but the opening is not. The new one looks to be worse in that respect. Loading the trunk is going to be like mailing a letter.

Now, if I can just find that thread where there was the informed opinion from the insider who saw the new GS and said it looked like a 90's Mercedes. To a lot of old folks, the 60's are a bit of a blur but the 90's must be pretty fuzzy to that guy if he thinks the new GS is going to remind anyone of a 90's merc.

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19