GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 07:24 PM
brisky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Line in rear

Check out the horizontal line above rear tire. Kinda Euro. Not sure what to make of it. It doesnt really show up in most of the Lexus PR pics, but it seems quite prominent here and gives the car a different look. Not sure what I think yet. Still digesting...
Attached Thumbnails The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19-wka2004010638725_pv.jpg  
Old 01-06-04, 07:26 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Its growing on me! (Warming up)

I think the new GS is somewhat growing on me in a soft kinda way!
For example: When the Caddilac CTS first came out I thought "This car is the Ugliest Beast to be in sheet metal besides the Pontiac Aztek - Two years or so later - now I'm digging the CTS..

For me to come around in one day - rather than two years is saying the car has potential.
I do wish lexus would have made their styling more agressive but then a how agressive can we get?
Maybe we wish it look Skyline-ish with widebody and the racing look, basically ready to race model.
I think part of the problem is most of us have seen GS's and other cars all modded up and its influence our judgement somewhat.
I think it has evolved nicley but not as racy as we want!

It just makes me love my GS even more. I may decide in a year or so to get one.. For right now - I'm fighting the temptation from other manufacturers Mercedes E55 Supercharged 469 HP and Caddilac CTS 400 HP.. I wish we get some numbers on the GS..
Old 01-06-04, 07:33 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Thumbs down

I am seeing a jumbo G35 with maxima in the mix.....very disappointed...
Old 01-06-04, 07:35 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I swear to GOD that is what I was just thinking 5 minutes ago. It looks just like a huge G35.
Old 01-06-04, 07:42 PM
MarsB007
Driver

glad i didn't wait and leased the 04 SC430. Not very impressed with the new GS (I was a previous GS owner). It does have all the technical crap I love, but I'm not very impressed with the body styling. I'm sure it will grow on me in the future, like all the other cars I have owned (for example the SC... which I hated when it first came out).

Good effort for Lexus. I'm sure it will sell like crazy. Throw in a hybrid version and we'll talk.
Old 01-06-04, 07:45 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

it looks OK minus the headlights, otherwise i think it could grow on me. but the headlights......waaayyy too reminiscent of the avalon making the new GS look like a fixed up avalon to me. the engine is a big disappointment to me making barely any more power at all. i like all the new features so far though. anybody notice the eshift is no longer on the steering wheel but porsche style? 6 speed tranny sounds SWEET to me. if only it was pushing 400 hp or so.... im sure alot of techy toys to play with but the headlight style has got to go along with the outdated engine. need more power than that man.
Old 01-06-04, 07:57 PM
Alewifebp
Driver

I really need to seem some high res pics, and it in person to make my final judgement. Overall I like the interior a lot. It looks like they have added a lot of the features that are needed in this segment these days, and made a lot of them standard, seemingly. Like the LED taillights, hopefully standard bi-xenon headlights, the standard keyless open and start feature, 6 speed auto with manual control, the huge screen inside looks good, the avail of AWD (and hopefully a powerful hybrid). Also, hurrarh for the adjustable suspension. I would have wished for more wood on the upper part of the dash, but most Lexuses are not designed that way, so no big surprise.

Exterior styling is till up in the air. I have to say it is a clean design, but does seem to have been created before they had the L-Finesse revelation, at least partially. The new rims look nice, hopefully 17" standard, with optional 18", with decent tires. Not necessarily as aggressive as I had hoped, or as nice, but I really want to see it before I make my opinion final. Don't like the face that we loose our white optitron gauges .

I also hope that they offer a real sport package, with more aggressive lines on the outside, possibly a lot of aluminum trim inside, nice beefy tires, and stiffer suspension. And of course I hope that we get a high performance version to compete with the M5 and E55, but Lexus would have to really step up to the plate and offer 500 HP plus.
Old 01-06-04, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Sorry guys, proportions of the new one just don't do it for me.

Comparing current and new, the new one looks like a whale.
Attached Thumbnails The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19-gscompare.jpg  
Old 01-06-04, 08:08 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, now that the Maxima issue is over, let's compare it to some REAL cars. 5-series, M45, E-series?

Nicer than the 5-series and definitely will ride better. Will probably have less hp than the new M45 (Fuga), but again, ride quality and quietness. Can't comment on the C/E-series MB because I don't know enough. Anyone care to comment?
Old 01-06-04, 08:24 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I like it and I haven't even seen it in person yet.

I think a lot of ppl should hold their judgements till they see it on the road. I remember I didn't like the 2nd gen GS when it came out. I thought it had a big rearend.

Reading 31 pages in the last two hours I read so many comparisons to the Maxima. If I'm correct, it usually takes 3+ years for a new car design. By that token, if Nissan came out with the Maxima last year, Lexus was already 2 years into the GS design process. It would be crazy for them to drop everything and start from scratch. And according to 1SICK, since Nissan probably took styling cues from the 2nd gen GS, it wouldn't make sense for Lexus to change the new style.

As far as horsepower, I don't care how many HP a Chrysler(unless someone gives me a Viper) makes I still wouldn't own one. Most American companies compensate power and cheap sticker prices for quality anyway. Also, 300Hp is nothing to laugh at.

Just my opinion

Ed
Old 01-06-04, 08:32 PM
brisky
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by SC300Es
Reading 31 pages in the last two hours I read so many comparisons to the Maxima. If I'm correct, it usually takes 3+ years for a new car design. By that token, if Nissan came out with the Maxima last year, Lexus was already 2 years into the GS design process. It would be crazy for them to drop everything and start from scratch. And according to 1SICK, since Nissan probably took styling cues from the 2nd gen GS, it wouldn't make sense for Lexus to change the new style.
Exactly what I was thinking buddy!
I think the Maxima versus GS comparison is more a matter of coincidence and timing rather than "peeking" and "cheating" during the design process. If you look at some of the finer lines of the cars, there really are more differences than first view... and I think its highly likely that the actual cars on the road instead of 2D pictures will really help bare out the differences.

But then again.... "SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES"??? I don't think so. Not this time...

Last edited by brisky; 01-06-04 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 08:40 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am disappointed.....

The current body style: Absolutely Georgeous.
First-Gen body style: Luxurious.
But the new body style........too sharp.

Even though I do like GSTRANCE's chopped version, the new GS doesn't look like it's in the same class as the E55 or the 5. I won't be getting a 2005 GS.

Last edited by TwentyTen; 01-06-04 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 08:44 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

this thread got this forum jam packed dude, i have never seen so many folk on at one time
Old 01-06-04, 08:45 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

So yeah.. A day gone by and my tune hasn't changed. I'm going to give it a chance. Check it out in person at the auto show and sit and drive in it. However... it doesn't grab me.

It didn't grab me in the same way as the new Audi LeMans, Audi A8L, G35 Coupe, New M45 (Fuga) or even the Dodge Magnum SRT-8. Those designs instantly "spoke" to me. Something about this is just.... I dunno, off.

FWIW: I did find two pictures of it over on the toyota press site that I liked so there must be potential.

Let the sleeping on it begin.
Old 01-06-04, 08:46 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

simpler maybe?
Attached Thumbnails The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19-newgschop2.jpg  

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19