GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-04, 08:23 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by jimxo
WOW! 500th post is that a record?
The hot women thread was pretty popular....not sure how many posts were there before it was closed by a queer eye for the hot women thread moderator.....
Old 01-07-04, 08:23 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OPTITRON GAUGES!!! what ever happened to them? the new gauges look so cheaply made with cheap plastic.
Old 01-07-04, 08:42 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by GS4fun
The hot women thread was pretty popular....not sure how many posts were there before it was closed by a queer eye for the hot women thread moderator.....
LOL.. Im still disgruntled about that former thread.. Was alot of fun.. Anyways that thread was well over 1500 posts but this one is growing by the minute..

Globe & GSTRANCE,

Great work guys on the PS work.. I'm beginning to like this GS and until we get the final car specs I will hold back my judgement on this car.. I am feeling that M45 (Fuga) car thou just the reliability issues I have been hearing from friends about the current M45 would make it hard for me to drop 70K CDN on this car.. Owning a Lexus really spoils you on the service and the little things.. Makes it hard for me to jump ship totally..
Old 01-07-04, 08:53 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Change:

Grill and Rear tailights (UGLY) - The "L" looks HUGE
Need Optitron gauges like current GS.. One of the best features Lexus has put on its cars.
Inner lights at front are hidieous too
No mention of Bi-Xenon headlights like other Luxury marks

What I like:

Love the new interior / center console
6 speed auto with tiptronic <-- Thank god they brought that back
Side view I love!!
Factory stance looks perfect
Even the factory wheels don't look too bad.. Wonder how our current aftermarket wheels will transfer to this car.. Hmmm..
Old 01-07-04, 09:23 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default who thinks new GS will get touched up before production

Think its possible they brought out new GS to get public feedback?
I am hoping
they gotta get rid of that chrome around the front lights.. looks so damn cheap
hard to believe this is the new GS
i like it dont get me wrong.. but looks like they 1/2 assed it for the show..
NAV setup looks like it was painted on.. center console doesnt flow

oh well

Erick G
Old 01-07-04, 09:40 AM
SCHEME
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 2k1_LexusGS_430
I know that many of us were holding back buying any new car until we seen the new GS. I really think that new design will grow on me, but if the 2005 Infiniti M45 does infact look like these pics, I may have to jump ship.
Whoa that's a hot car. Put some infinti badges on it and some nice leather in it , I think I may have to join you. Not to mention I can see myslef in one of these. The new GS I can see a bunch of 45 year old women in, like the most popular color will be BEIGE!
Old 01-07-04, 09:47 AM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Default WHEN WILL THE CAR BE OUT?

I wonder when they plan to release it? Some refer to it as a 2006 model.

http://autoshow.msn.com/as/autoshow2...c=autoshow2004

1998 GS 400

Former owner of:
1993 GS 300
2003 GX 470
Old 01-07-04, 10:03 AM
SCHEME
Pole Position

Personally I doubt it. Toyota seems like they are very stubborn. And they obviously don't give a **** about public opinion or they would have responded to all the cries for more power in thier engines and just built one. Look how long it took for the flagship LS to get an engine with decent power for its class.

Last edited by SCHEME; 01-07-04 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-07-04, 10:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally posted by GS430lvr
Agreed. However, mainstream America doesn't see it that way. We are in the midst of a horsepower war where every manufacturer is increasing power....OOoops, except Lexus. Lexus should of, at a bare minimum, extracted another 30 ponies from that engine to keep up.
Look, Lexus hasn't even said what the V8 power is going to be plus since no engine changes have been announced for the 'flagship' (LS430) I don't think Lexus is ready to show their full engine hand.

Plus, remember this... Lexus doesn't do the AMG or M class thing, so the comparison should be GS4xx with E500 or new 5 series. The new 545i for example still 'only' has 325HP, so it's hardly a big step ahead of Lexus. And remember Lexus STARTED the HP war for widely available sports sedans when the 2nd gen GS came out with 300HP.

<grammar check>One more thing, "should of" should have been "should have". </grammar check>

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-07-04 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-07-04, 10:22 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Look, Lexus hasn't even said what the V8 power is going to be plus since no engine changes have been announced for the 'flagship' (LS430) I don't think Lexus is ready to show their full engine hand.

Plus, remember this... Lexus doesn't do the AMG or M class thing, so the comparison should be GS4xx with E500 or new 5 series. The new 545i for example still 'only' has 325HP, so it's hardly a big step ahead of Lexus. And remember Lexus STARTED the HP war for widely available sports sedans when the 2nd gen GS came out with 300HP.

<grammar check>One more thing, "should of" should have been "should have". </grammar check>
Along with the E 500 at 302hp, and it still won't out run the GS 430, I think it would be safe to say even with the 430 engine now, and the new 6 speed auto, the new GS will keep up with a Automatic 545i. I am tired of hearing the HP junk, the new E and 5, both NEW, didn't go over the top, comparing apples to apples Lexus is in the ball park.
Old 01-07-04, 10:27 AM
2k1_LexusGS_430
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by SCHEME
Whoa that's a hot car. Put some infinti badges on it and some nice leather in it , I think I may have to join you. Not to mention I can see myslef in one of these. The new GS I can see a bunch of 45 year old women in, like the most popular color will be BEIGE!

Infiniti always had interior design problems. If they make a nice soft interior in the M45 they will have a winner on there hands.
Attached Thumbnails The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19-thenewm45.jpg  
Old 01-07-04, 10:29 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Official Lexus press release on new GS

INFORMATION PROVIDED BY LEXUS

Lexus Introduces Third-Generation GS Luxury Sports Sedan
Reveals New Design Direction for Company

DETROIT, January 6, 2004 – Lexus introduced the new GS luxury sport sedan today at a press conference at the North American International Auto Show. The all-new, more powerful GS utilizes the latest in advanced technology to improve both performance and handling and is the first in a new wave of Lexus products to reflect a new, more passionate direction in styling.

“From a technology standpoint, the GS employs a sophisticated array of advanced safety, comfort and convenience features that will cause even the most enthusiastic driver to take notice, ” said Denny Clements, Lexus group vice president and general manager. “From a design standpoint, the new GS will be the first vehicle in our lineup to benefit from a new, more passionate direction in styling.”

First All-Wheel Drive Model
Significantly, the new GS will feature all-wheel-drive, the first such application in any Lexus car, and offer the performance enhancements and advanced vehicle control of the Lexus Vehicle Dynamic Management (VDM) system. Monitoring a variety of sensors, the system is capable of anticipating the onset of a vehicle skid or slide and then helps correct the situation with a combination of braking and throttle control. The new VDM system is less obtrusive than conventional VSC but ultimately more effective.

Performance Optimized
Joining the potent and refined 4.3-liter V8 will be an all-new 245-horsepower V6 engine replacing the current inline six. Both the powerful V6 and V8 engines benefit from an all-new close-ratio 6-speed automatic transmission with a sequential manual-shifting mode. The combination provides faster and substantially smoother acceleration for even better performance and, surprisingly, improved fuel economy. A new Adaptive Variable Suspension allows the driver to fine-tune suspension damping with four settings ranging from normal-mode for everyday driving to a sport-mode for a tighter, more precise feel.
- more -
New Lexus GS 2-2-2-2

New Lexus Design Direction
From an architectural standpoint, the GS marks a move towards a more sculptural direction…that is artistic, dynamic, simple… yet intriguing. A two-inch longer wheelbase and short overhangs on the new GS creates a wide, powerful stance. A long hood, pulled-back cabin and slingshot windows recall classic sports car proportions and the vertical grille surrounded by four independent headlamps connects the new GS with the outgoing model, but with a futuristic look. The front also features an aggressive lower valence with integrated fog lamps. Dynamic 18-inch wheels on the V8 model help tie the muscular yet elegant look together.

The creation of a unique spatial feeling in the passenger compartment is central to the new Lexus design direction. The interior of the new GS has a precision, luxury feel with ultra-premium wood, polished metal and leather accents. Everything inside the GS is designed and styled to create a haven for peaceful comfort and relaxation, from contoured and supportive front seats with optional climate control to the standard 10-speaker audio system with simple steering wheel controls.

New Intelligent Luxury Sport Sedan
In addition to a new look and feel, the new GS also improves upon the increasingly complex nature of automotive technology. The GS offers numerous standard features, such as a keyless SmartAccess that allows the driver to lock, unlock and start the car simply by touching the door handle (with a key fob in pocket) and then simply pressing a push-button to start. An advanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPM) can detect and notify the driver, via an indicator warning light, of a significant loss in pressure in one or more tires, a condition that could potentially lead to premature tire wear and loss of control. The GS will also feature the Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), which helps illuminate a turn or curve as the driver steers into it.
A rear back-up camera is also added for 2006, providing an extra margin of confidence when reversing the vehicle. Available in conjunction with the optional navigation system, it automatically projects an image of what the camera lens can detect behind the vehicle onto the navigation screen when the vehicle is in the reverse gear.

“With the new GS we took all that was good in terms of technology and found ways to make it more intuitive, more intelligent and more relevant to the needs of its driver,” said Clements.
- more -
New Lexus GS 3-3-3-3

Advanced Safety Features
The GS will also offer an optional Pre-Collision System (PCS) that can help reduce collision injury and damage. The system uses a millimeter-wave radar sensor to detect obstacles in front of the car and a pre-collision system computer with vehicle speed, steering angle and yaw rate inputs that help to determine in advance whether a collision is unavoidable. The system then preemptively retracts front seat belts and prepares Brake Assist for increased braking force to help reduce collision speed.

In addition, the new GS gains new knee airbags for the driver and front passenger as well as front and rear side curtain airbags as standard equipment. The Supplemental Restraint System in the new GS also includes variable-force front airbags for both driver and front passenger. Sensors determine the severity of the accident and in turn the force with which to deploy the front airbags, helping to provide the appropriate level of occupant restraint.

“Nearly every feature on the GS makes this sports sedan more manageable and more engaging to drive,” said Clements.

Preliminary Specifications
Wheelbase: 112.2 in.
Length: 189.8 in.
Width: 71.7 in.
Height: 56.1 in.
Engines: 3.0 liter V6 – 245 hp; 228 lb.-ft. of torque
4.3 liter V8 – 300 hp; 325 lb.-ft. of torque
Transmission: 6-speed sequential automatic
Old 01-07-04, 10:36 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 2k1_LexusGS_430
but if the 2005 Infiniti M45 does infact look like these pics, I may have to jump ship.
This has been confirmed by Nissan Motor in Japan and Infiniti in the US. This concept WILL be the next M45. It has already been spread from Exec to Mgmt to Sales staff levels, and even confirmed to customers.
Old 01-07-04, 10:48 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SCHEME
Personally I doubt it. Toyota seems like they are very stubborn. And they obviously don't give a **** about public opinion or they would have responded to all the cries for more power in thier engines and just built one. Look how long it took for the flagship LS to get an engine with decent power for its class.
Well, I wouldn't go that far.

Toyota is keeping its current setup to save money. Don't forget that the new hybrid's will be coming out very soon and offering awesome fuel economy with lots of power.

As for the touch up, don't think this is the final car that is going to show in car showrooms. I can almost guarentee it will be tweaked in some way or fashion before it arrives. Public opinion will be looked on heavily and changes that are OUTSTANDINGLY stated will be listened to.

These are EDUCATED guesses based on my learnings and findings. Take it for what it's worth.

-Anthony
Old 01-07-04, 10:56 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Arrow

I think thay may do some minor changes but nothing major.

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19