GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-04, 01:29 PM
ppgs400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what do you think the price will be for the 330 and 430?
Old 01-07-04, 01:37 PM
kenshin
Driver School Candidate

One thing I don't get about LEXUS, the LF-S is suppose to be the model of future Lexus's and how it's going to have it's own design theme and whatnot. The new GS is nowhere near or even resembles the LF-S. What kind of bull crap are they trying to portray???? If the LF-S would be the next LS and then again it would contradict their common design direction. I am kind of disappointed with the new GS. Don't get me wrong but I do like the car better than the current one, but it's not original & Lexus could have done better. And why dd the Senior management team even approve of this supposedly new "radical" design. But, it's Lexus right, usually they know what they're doing and then again....the GS is only one car. We'll have to wait how the new IS, LS, LX would look and judge it from there.
Old 01-07-04, 01:44 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

Originally posted by kenshin
One thing I don't get about LEXUS, the LF-S is suppose to be the model of future Lexus's and how it's going to have it's own design theme and whatnot. The new GS is nowhere near or even resembles the LF-S. What kind of bull crap are they trying to portray???? If the LF-S would be the next LS and then again it would contradict their common design direction. I am kind of disappointed with the new GS. Don't get me wrong but I do like the car better than the current one, but it's not original & Lexus could have done better. And why dd the Senior management team even approve of this supposedly new "radical" design. But, it's Lexus right, usually they know what they're doing and then again....the GS is only one car. We'll have to wait how the new IS, LS, LX would look and judge it from there.
Look closer.The new GS design does have styling cues from the LF-S concept.Especially the rear of the car.
Old 01-07-04, 01:46 PM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by GS430lvr
I agree...ditto! I was totally off the mark with this one...I was convinced that a new V8 would be out. Why must the LS share an engine with the GS?
The BMW 745i and 545i share the same 4.4l engine. The Audi A8L and A6 share the same 4.2l V8. The Mercedes S500 and E500 share the same 5.0l V8. It's cost cutting and works quite well. Why engineer a different engine for each car? It's not practical.

Last edited by brent0226; 01-07-04 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-07-04, 02:06 PM
LexFather

Lexus has released official hp numbers already: 4.3L 300hp - IMHO they should of bumped it up to 320 at least, but I think there will be a 2nd or 3rd year power "refresh" similar to the intro of the ES330, that is contingent on the next LS500(?) powerplant.
How about we just bump the car up to 340hp, add some displacement, say to 4.5 liters, and make the new GS slower than before.

I'd rather the 4.3 with "only" 300hp, still doing the 0-60 sprint under 6 seconds.

Some of ya'll kill me. Who here has gone to the track? Who here actually posts kills in the racing/stories forum? Who has gone to a dyno? HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (I don't hear anything).

DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP IN MAGAZINE FIGURES i.e
0-60 in blah blah blah
500hp super/turbo etc
etc etc

Ya'll do realize the Germans are not making thier cars with more horsepower to benefit the consumer? No people. It's a stupid HP war between BMW/Benz and Audi somewhat. On top of that, they are putting HELLA R&D in AMG/M/ the RS cars and MARKETING trying to fool people into thinking MORE HORESPOWER= A BETTER CAR.

Read any other forum for 2 minutes, and yeah, they got X amount horsepower, driving 0-60 in 4.2 straight to the dealer because the car does not work.

You want faster, go the Mr. Johnson/JaimeCBR900 etc etc route of forced induction.

Bigger than the fact the GS did 0-60 in 5.7 seconds because of 300hp. We have to take into account aerodynamics, the tranny, gearing etc.

C'mon ya'll, when they took E-shift outta the GS 430 that should have told ya something. Lexus went after meeting UNLEV emmsions instead of going faster.
Old 01-07-04, 02:17 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by brent0226
The BMW 745i and 545i share the same 4.4l engine. The Audi A8L and A6 share the same 4.2l V8. The Mercedes S500 and E500 share the same 5.0l V8. It's cost cutting and works quite well. Why engineer a different engine for each car? It's not practical.
I understand the practical/cost-saving reason, but I don't have to like it. I like the new GS but I don't know if I'll trade up for another tranny cog with similar performance.
Old 01-07-04, 02:20 PM
Faheta
Driver

Regarding horsepower, I still have my fingers crossed. The 300hp figure in the Press Release is "Preliminary".

Let's see ...

Mercedes 5.0L V8 makes 302hp (339 lbft)
Audi 4.2L V8 makes 330hp (317 lbft)
BMW 4.4L V8 makes 325hp (330 lbft)
Infiniti 4.5 V8 makes 340hp (333 lbft)
Lexus 4.3 V8 makes 300hp (325 lbft)

It would be nice if Lexus can squeeze out 320 hp. That can potentially shave off 0.2 seconds from 0-60 time. Not a big deal but at least those drivers who are conscious about "mine is bigger than yours" don't get so embarassed.
Old 01-07-04, 02:23 PM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
You want faster, go the Mr. Johnson/JaimeCBR900 etc etc route of forced induction.
Not everyone's tastes include forced induction. There's just something about a NA engine that seems better (to some, at least). It has smoother power delivery and you don't have to worry about the reliability and such.

HP is an important number in the automotive industry. Regardless whether or not it's important to you, it's definitely something to consider. Unfortunately, people rely too much on horsepower numbers and don't give a glance at torque. But if you asked me whether or not I wanted 300 hp/300 ft.lb. torque or 320 hp/ 300 ft.lb. torque, I'd say the latter. Personally, I think Lexus needs to do something to raise the redline on that 4.3l V8 to get at least some more HP out of it.
Old 01-07-04, 02:45 PM
LexFather

Personally, I think Lexus needs to do something to raise the redline on that 4.3l V8 to get at least some more HP out of it.
High redlines belong in sports cars and motorcycles, not luxury cars, IMO. High revving engines are loud, very loud.
HP is an important number in the automotive industry. Regardless whether or not it's important to you, it's definitely something to consider. Unfortunately, people rely too much on horsepower numbers and don't give a glance at torque. But if you asked me whether or not I wanted 300 hp/300 ft.lb. torque or 320 hp/ 300 ft.lb. torque, I'd say the latter
Very true.
Old 01-07-04, 02:52 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by tomtnc
Did the six speed auto reduce the LS430 quarter mile time vs. 5 speed auto? If so, by how much and what is the source of this information?

The same improvement (if any) would apply to a same-HP/TQ 6 speed auto GS.
I know they now say 5.9 0 to 60, and I think is was 6.1-6.2 before, maybe someone can help me here? maybe i am wrong
Old 01-07-04, 02:54 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I am beginning to like the new GS in it's modded form!!!! It's been only a day and it is already growing on me. I would love to see it in person now!!!!
Old 01-07-04, 03:05 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
C'mon ya'll, when they took E-shift outta the GS 430 that should have told ya something. Lexus went after meeting UNLEV emmsions instead of going faster.
Got to agree with you Sick. When Lexus/Toyota decided to pull the plug on L-Tuned, this was also a big indicator that performance was not the primary goal of Lexus. Fact is, Lexus is not concerned about HP. Every model in the line is underpowered compared to the competition. This includes the LX, RX, ES, LS, GX, and SC. But the interior of each of the aforementioned models is nicer or at least as nice as the competition. Face it, Lexus is all about luxury. Just look at the new commercial showing the LS430 being turned upside down to demonstrate it's areodynamic and quiet design. Pretty cool. I might be in the minority, but I'd rather Lexus focus on maintaining its reputation as the luxury and reliability leader rather than becoming too performance orientated. Would I like the new GS to have 400 HP? Sure, who wouldn't. But not at the cost of decreased reliability or luxury features.

That being said, the fact that Lexus is developing the IS430 is an indicator that Lexus may develop some performance models in the future. It'll be interesting to see how Lexus balances its pursuit of performance and luxury.
Old 01-07-04, 03:27 PM
brent0226
Driver

High redlines belong in sports cars and motorcycles, not luxury cars, IMO. High revving engines are loud, very loud.
I'm not talking about super high redlines, just something above the 6k the LS430 is limited to. The A8's redline is 6800 and 745i's is 6500. Those are luxury cars and rev plenty high. See, they have an extra 500-800 rpms in the power band to play with. They seem to pull it off, and I wouldn't expect the Lexus to be any different noise wise.
Old 01-07-04, 03:43 PM
LexFather

A8's redline is 6800 and 745i's is 6500. Those are luxury cars and rev plenty high. See, they have an extra 500-800 rpms in the power band to play with. They seem to pull it off, and I wouldn't expect the Lexus to be any different noise wise.
There is a recent article in the European mag "EVO" that blasts Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc etc for chasing HP numbers. All the HP is peak, at 7000+ RPM and basically unusable unless you are at the track 24/7. As you suggested earlier what is important is torque, low end torque, when you need it and drive most, 1500-3500rpm.

On another note, ya'll know I am on countless forums, it's only been 2 days the GS has been shown, ONLY to the press and this pics have been linked everywhere (no I did not start any threads ). This is very, very impressive. Comments are similar concerning the Maxima, otherwise, they are pretty positive at this point.
Old 01-07-04, 03:48 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default WEll

I'd change it from looking like a Maxima

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19