GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-04, 04:05 PM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

totally agree with 1SICK....
Old 01-09-04, 04:56 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrived in Detroit with a camera but no way to upload pics. Oops. Any pics I get will have to wait until Sunday. Sorry guys.

Will be taking photos tomorrow AM. Anything special anybody would like? If it is NON-GS related, I'll post it in the Car Chat area.

Last edited by looknow12; 01-09-04 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-09-04, 05:11 PM
CorplHIcks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seat, Rear Seat !!!

Please post rear seat pictures, rear seat pictures, open rear door and take photos of rear seat and show legroom between seat and front seat. Thanks.

I suspect that none exist because Lexus is hiding that they messed up and didn't do what dealers have been screaming for--- for rear seat legroom.

my two gripes about GS (pre-2005/6)

rear seat legroom too small
no 4-wheel drive

they fixed only 1 of them, I fear.
Old 01-09-04, 05:27 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

I suspect that none exist because Lexus is hiding that they messed up and didn't do what dealers have been screaming for--- for rear seat legroom.

How can that be, the press have already seen it, and it's going to be displayed to the general public in a couple days.
Old 01-09-04, 07:32 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by looknow12
Arrived in Detroit with a camera but no way to upload pics. Oops. Any pics I get will have to wait until Sunday. Sorry guys.

Will be taking photos tomorrow AM. Anything special anybody would like? If it is NON-GS related, I'll post it in the Car Chat area.
Engine, trunk space?
Old 01-09-04, 08:59 PM
lexmaster
Driver School Candidate

Yes it is a 3.0. Wow, I've thought here is another sedan that shares engines with Toyota/Lexus. Well that's great news, but couldn't they have used the new 3.3 and gotten about 260 hp out of it, with the V8 coming in at 340? I should've been part of the decision making for this vehicle. IF it's going to look like a Maxima, at least give the V6 as much hp.
Old 01-09-04, 09:16 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wont feel or drive like a maxima
so HP doesnt matter
Old 01-09-04, 09:55 PM
LexFather

I've thought here is another sedan that shares engines with Toyota/Lexus. Well that's great news, but couldn't they have used the new 3.3 and gotten about 260 hp out of it, with the V8 coming in at 340? I should've been part of the decision making for this vehicle. IF it's going to look like a Maxima, at least give the V6 as much hp.
I suspect HP ratings are not on the top of GS 300 owners minds... Luxury, ride, quiet, panache etc are priorites, right ya'll? Have you driven a Max? It is now built in TENNESSEE (how about a Clublexus meet there?, lmao), enough with the GS comparisons...
The VQ for instance, great engine, but it seems it's going in the next gen M35 and it's already in the G35 and I35. And for the matter
Nissan Quest Van
Altima (optional)
Maxima
Pathfinder
350Z
FX 35
Murano

I am very happy Lexus decided not to share a "Camry" engine in a 40k+car. It's already in the ES 330 and RX 330. Wise choice. Nothing against the 3.3, great engine as well but why pay more for a car who's heart (engine) is in everyone elses? Part of owning a luxury car (and paying hella more) is exclusivity, no?
Old 01-10-04, 12:08 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Hameed

I am beginning to like the new GS in it's modded form!!!! It's been only a day and it is already growing on me. I would love to see it in person now!!!!
Me too. Thanks to GSTRANCE.
Old 01-10-04, 02:27 AM
markjenn
Driver School Candidate

Default New V6 Unlikely to be Unique to GS

Keep in mind that the GS won't ship for another year. I suspect the "new" V6 in the GS is probably just the next iteration of the 3-liter V6 that will slowly propogate itself across the Toyota line - the GS is just the first car that has broken cover.

So if you're thinking the GS is going to get a special engine different from the one in the Camry, ES, RX, etc, I very much doubt that. Engines are one of the most design and tooling intensive parts of a car, and I don't see Toyota continuing development on two V6 engines of nearly identical displacement.

- Mark
Old 01-10-04, 04:59 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Everyone keeps talking about the engine possibly being similar to that of other vehicles from Toyota. I say who cares, and here is why.
[list=1][*]Manufacturers cannot produce a different engine block for every single vehicle they produce. It would drive the cost of the vehicle up for such design, engineering and production costs. They most share these costs over at least 2-3 vehicles to be competitive and profitable.[*]There are still a lot of different things that make up the feel, performance and even sound of the vehicle. Ignition, timing, transmission, exhaust, intake and much more. Don't be surprised if the GS's implementation is tuned differently for that of the GS.[*]If the Toyota Camry one day had a Ferrari engine in it, would you feel worse about a Ferrari? There is no specific line that can be drawn to distribute the specialness of any particular engine on two distinct vehicles. Maybe the Camry is just that much better. Point being, look at the engine itself, not where its been, but what it is capable of. It might be better mated to a GS than that of a Camry.[*]Less than a 1% (I estimate) of the people you speak to will approach you and say, yeah but it has a Camry engine in it. So don't concern yourself with such situations that will probably never happen. Most people will never know, or care to know.[/list=1]

Last edited by looknow12; 01-10-04 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-10-04, 08:09 AM
kenshin
Driver School Candidate

I agree with looknow12. Besides, if GS does share engines with the Camry or any other Toyota lineups in the future, remember Camry has one of the best engines. I think better than Honda's and Nissan's V-6. I own a 2003 V-6 Altima. Yes it has 240HP and blah blah blah, but the engine is not as quiet, smooth, refined than the 1998 Toyota V-6 that my neighbour had. I dunno, it's just based on my experience. Haven't driven the Honda's yet.
Old 01-10-04, 08:59 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this new GS is totally unacceptable. when its time to buy a new car..... GS is not going to be in consideration.
Old 01-10-04, 09:48 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Post Back from the Autoshow

Back from the autoshow. I took a lot of pictures but don't have the cable to upload yet.

Initial impressions:

Looks - I really like the looks. It is broader, and faster looking than before. Looking at in person makes me appreciate it much more. I like the looks of the front headlamps, and the rear LED lights. The wheels and the side skirt are sweet too.

Interior - Couldn't see much. The vehicle was on a carousel, and only that lady who spoke about it could get to it. Regarding the rear seat, only the front driver side door was open. When I asked for her to open the rear door she told me that only the front door works with this prototype. Same thing with the trunk.

Engine performance - The lady was announcing V8 with 300hp. I confirmed this with her, and she told me the engine is unchanged.

AWD - Present only in the 6cyl. It is possible that Lexus needs to work out the drivetrain issues related to 300hp and the front drivetrain. Though if they engineered AWD, you would think it would be beefy enough to handle the V8 engine. Maybe they didn't want to effect the handling of the vehicle. Maybe they could get rid of the steering wheel jimmies commonly associated with front drive cars.

Any questions?

Last edited by looknow12; 01-10-04 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-10-04, 10:00 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

WTF!!!!! After 7 years - its got the same Horsepower! We got V6's with almost that kind of power! GEEZ what a Disgrace!

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19