GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-04, 10:12 AM
pfsacer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi 1SICKLEX

I agree and disagree

The GS (as a hybrid) should have at least 340 (300 + 40 extra because of hybrid) see RX330 and 400h difference in HP, however the 0-60 times are the same for the 330 and 400h so I do not see a change in this for the hybrid GS unless they up the HP for the gas-engine

pfsacer
Old 01-10-04, 10:50 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the differences in between engines has to do also with traction, leave the 3.3 for fwd and the new 3.0 for rwd.. but who knows, only time will tell us once the IS gets its new engine.. 300hp from the v8 yeah SAY that now, I am sure they will give you more than that once the car goes for sale, they just dont want real figures out yet..
Old 01-10-04, 10:52 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: New V6 Unlikely to be Unique to GS

Originally posted by markjenn
Keep in mind that the GS won't ship for another year. I suspect the "new" V6 in the GS is probably just the next iteration of the 3-liter V6 that will slowly propogate itself across the Toyota line - the GS is just the first car that has broken cover.

So if you're thinking the GS is going to get a special engine different from the one in the Camry, ES, RX, etc, I very much doubt that. Engines are one of the most design and tooling intensive parts of a car, and I don't see Toyota continuing development on two V6 engines of nearly identical displacement.

- Mark
Mark,

Are you the same markjenn who posts on roadfly? If so, how's the new Mini S? I am still waiting for ours and it should three more months since I turned down a recent chance to place the specs for one.
Old 01-10-04, 01:07 PM
darkhorse
Driver School Candidate

Default relieved I don't have to get the 3rd gen!

Hey all:

Just saw the pics as a local rag alerted me to the new GS unveiling.

In a word, I'm relieved. Why? Cuz I'll be happy driving my 2nd gen for many more years to come. And if I have to replace it the 4th gen GS will have to be out for me to even consider the GS.

Mind you, I'm not happy with any of the major players out there now. Sorry but my humble opinions worth what yo'ure paying for them follow:

The new 7 and 5 are to laugh at. What the hell happened to BMW, yeah, I know, Bangle or whutever hiz name iz. I'd go and buy an old E38 if I were in the market for a BMW, serious.

The new E is okay I guess but the 2nd gen GS still looks better, the S is too big. The new E55 would be a possible to replace my 2nd gen but heh, are you kidding with that price tag???

The Infiniti's, please, not in the same league as the 2nd gen GS. And I have an old Maxima as a beater so I know about Nissan "quality".

I like the Audi A8 both new and previous gen but man once past warranty LOOK OUT for your repair bills! And you can't do much of it yourself from what I hear. I'm not feeling the other Audi's. Of course I like the S8 but again, I ain't made of money like some out there!

So if I were in the market for a car I'd buy a used GS 99-02 that wasn't trashed. I'd have a great looking car, reliable, good enough power, and be way ahead of the game! I'd try for the eshift too but it's getting harder and harder to find a GS400 (not 430) that hasn't had the ****** kicked out of it.

All in all VERY disappointed with the new GS though. I was hoping for something that might inspire me to sell the 2nd gen. Now I won't for sure!

Just my $0.02 and thanks to everyone for the pics.

Take care and drive safe out there in the snow!

Paul

99 GS400 BLACK ON BLACK
Old 01-10-04, 01:32 PM
kenshin
Driver School Candidate

QUESTION?

Why does the V-8 won't have an AWD option??? Or maybe again, Lexus is still working on it.

Also, I hope that with the Hybrid version, the tach meter stays. I hate the fact that they took out the tachometer on the RX400h. WTF!!!
Old 01-10-04, 02:11 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally posted by looknow12
Arrived in Detroit with a camera but no way to upload pics. Oops. Any pics I get will have to wait until Sunday. Sorry guys.

Will be taking photos tomorrow AM. Anything special anybody would like? If it is NON-GS related, I'll post it in the Car Chat area.
Yes the back seat with the front seat all the way back to see knee clearance.
Does Lexus have that huge hump in the middle in the back seat?
Thanks for taking the pix.
Old 01-10-04, 02:35 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I showed my keys at the autoshow and the Lexus people told me they didn't have any goodies for Lexus owners. Has anyone experienced any difference?
Old 01-10-04, 02:42 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! The numbers are reversed when it comes to the new Corvette. The poll speaks for itself

About 60% don't like the new GS

About 60% like the new Corvette C6

GS POLL

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=106511

CORVETTE POLL

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=106132

Last edited by jimxo; 01-10-04 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-10-04, 02:45 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Your sample is too low.
Old 01-10-04, 03:15 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

couple more chops........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

stay tuned.........

Last edited by GSTRANCE; 01-10-04 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-10-04, 04:01 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey GSTRANCE:

Your chops definitely made up my mind after about a week thinking about the new design. There is a lot of potential to the 2006 GS. The new GS is beginning to grow on me.

Anyone notice that the GS will have some sort of i-Drive control like the BMW? There seems to be large button behind the shifter label "ENTER". There also seem to be what looks like a long touchpad at the right of it.

Wish there is more wood in this GS version though.

Chu...
Old 01-10-04, 04:02 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just read another confirmation that the engine on the 430 will remain unchanged at 300 hp and V8 will not be offered in AWD. AWD will only be offered in the V6 version.

For the northeast, i think i would have to choose the AWD over the extra ponies... benefits of safety of AWD in climate of northeast has big advantages over extra hp in my opinion.

Here's a copy of the article:

Its sleek, new shape is the most noticeable change in what is now the third generation of GS sedans, but there are plenty of other upgrades sprinkled throughout this new luxury sedan that should help boost its chances of competing against the Europeans. When it goes on sale in early 2005, the GS will be available with either a 245-horsepower, 3.0-liter V6 or a 300-hp, 4.3-liter V8. All V8 models will be rear-wheel drive, but cars equipped with the V6 will offer both all-wheel-drive and rear-wheel-drive setups. A six-speed automatic is the standard transmission while a new Adaptive Variable Suspension offers four different settings for comfort or performance.

New technological elements include an advanced stability control system dubbed Vehicle Dynamic Management (VDM) that reacts quicker and with less intrusiveness than the previous VSC system. All GS models will also include a full complement of front, side and knee airbags along with a Pre-Collision System (PCS) that prepares the car for an impending crash to reduce severity. The GS will also offer standard features like a keyless ignition, adaptive headlights and a rear backup camera integrated with the optional navigation system.

What do you guys think.....extra ponies worth the lack of AWD?

Does keyless ignition reduce potential theft rates as well? Good for new jersey i think in terms of car insurance!
Old 01-10-04, 04:08 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

badass chops
we need those veilside from the front

Erick G
Old 01-10-04, 04:39 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AWD is better than more hp, you can easily add more hp, more difficult to add AWD....
Old 01-10-04, 04:53 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by GS4fun
Just read another confirmation that the engine on the 430 will remain unchanged at 300 hp and V8 will not be offered in AWD. AWD will only be offered in the V6 version.

For the northeast, i think i would have to choose the AWD over the extra ponies... benefits of safety of AWD in climate of northeast has big advantages over extra hp in my opinion.

Most times I would agree. But for a high performance vehicle like this, I'd rather have more HP and great handling with this vehicle than AWD.

There's a lot of less expensive vehicles that are cheaper with 4WD or AWD. The RX for one.

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19