GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-04, 07:02 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awd handling is crucial on fast sports cars....

it's not how fast you go, it's how little you slow down
Old 01-10-04, 09:14 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AWD is a nice option to have.
Old 01-10-04, 11:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

From what i know, AWD will only come on the hybrid version of the GS.
To me AWD option doesnt make any difference, even though i live in NY.

GSTRANCE,
That looks hott, great work.
Im starting to love how the GS looks from the rear side view, but the front is another story.
Old 01-11-04, 12:24 AM
LexFather

I just read in EVO, the new GS will have Lexus version of active suspension ala the new 5. I also read this is the first of Lexus new direction, with the LS also looking like the LF-S and all future models including sports coupes.

Sports coupes? Hmmmmmmm. I guess I need to buy a scanner and start scanning my findings....

BTW, the AWD G35x is 300lbs heavier than the G35 sedan RWD. Any specs of the RX 400h weight so we can compare to the 330?

As stated before, weight is the enemy of HP....

GSTRANCE, you need to design bodykits dude, awesome....
Old 01-11-04, 09:27 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GSTRANCE
couple more chops........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

stay tuned.........

Wow, I think Veilside just found a new design chief.
Old 01-11-04, 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Let's look at what's wrong with this center stack inside:

First off - dump the cassette, it's a waste of space.

Second, why separate buttons for temp up/down? The rocker button on my 2000 GS is better ergonomically I think although I think I'd prefer a rotary dial.

Third, note the +/- on the shift gate - I guess this means no e-shift buttons on the steering wheel?

Fourth, I don't like the acres of dark hard textured plastic either side.

Fifth, as I've said (maybe I'm in the minority), I really think that aluminum trim is out of place.

Sixth, the wood grain looks cheaper than the walnut in mine, more like an ES.

None of these things make it a 'bad' interior, just not better than what I have today IMHO.
Old 01-11-04, 11:43 AM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a Press Release from Toyota that spills "all the beans"

Lexus Introduces Third-Generation GS Luxury Sports Sedan
Reveals New Design Direction for Company

click photo to preview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01/06/2004 Detroit

Lexus introduced the new GS luxury sport sedan today at a press conference at the North American International Auto Show. The all-new, more powerful GS utilizes the latest in advanced technology to improve both performance and handling and is the first in a new wave of Lexus products to reflect a new, more passionate direction in styling.

"From a technology standpoint, the GS employs a sophisticated array of advanced safety, comfort and convenience features that will cause even the most enthusiastic driver to take notice," said Denny Clements, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "From a design standpoint, the new GS will be the first vehicle in our lineup to benefit from a new, more passionate direction in styling."

First All-Wheel Drive Model
Significantly, the new GS will feature all-wheel-drive, the first such application in any Lexus car, and offer the performance enhancements and advanced vehicle control of the Lexus Vehicle Dynamic Management (VDM) system. Monitoring a variety of sensors, the system is capable of anticipating the onset of a vehicle skid or slide and then helps correct the situation with a combination of braking and throttle control. The new VDM system is less obtrusive than conventional VSC but ultimately more effective.

Performance Optimized
Joining the potent and refined 4.3-liter V8 will be an all-new 245-horsepower V6 engine replacing the current inline six. Both the powerful V6 and V8 engines benefit from an all-new close-ratio 6-speed automatic transmission with a sequential manual-shifting mode. The combination provides faster and substantially smoother acceleration for even better performance and, surprisingly, improved fuel economy. A new Adaptive Variable Suspension allows the driver to fine-tune suspension damping with four settings ranging from normal-mode for everyday driving to a sport-mode for a tighter, more precise feel.

New Lexus Design Direction
From an architectural standpoint, the GS marks a move towards a more sculptural direction... that is artistic, dynamic, simple... yet intriguing. A two-inch longer wheelbase and short overhangs on the new GS creates a wide, powerful stance. A long hood, pulled-back cabin and slingshot windows recall classic sports car proportions and the vertical grille surrounded by four independent headlamps connects the new GS with the outgoing model, but with a futuristic look. The front also features an aggressive lower valence with integrated fog lamps. Dynamic 18-inch wheels on the V8 model help tie the muscular yet elegant look together.

The creation of a unique spatial feeling in the passenger compartment is central to the new Lexus design direction. The interior of the new GS has a precision, luxury feel with ultra-premium wood, polished metal and leather accents. Everything inside the GS is designed and styled to create a haven for peaceful comfort and relaxation, from contoured and supportive front seats with optional climate control to the standard 10-speaker audio system with simple steering wheel controls.

New Intelligent Luxury Sport Sedan
In addition to a new look and feel, the new GS also improves upon the increasingly complex nature of automotive technology. The GS offers numerous standard features, such as a keyless SmartAccess that allows the driver to lock, unlock and start the car simply by touching the door handle (with a key fob in pocket) and then simply pressing a push-button to start. An advanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPM) can detect and notify the driver, via an indicator warning light, of a significant loss in pressure in one or more tires, a condition that could potentially lead to premature tire wear and loss of control. The GS will also feature the Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), which helps illuminate a turn or curve as the driver steers into it.

A rear back-up camera is also added for 2006, providing an extra margin of confidence when reversing the vehicle. Available in conjunction with the optional navigation system, it automatically projects an image of what the camera lens can detect behind the vehicle onto the navigation screen when the vehicle is in the reverse gear.

"With the new GS we took all that was good in terms of technology and found ways to make it more intuitive, more intelligent and more relevant to the needs of its driver," said Clements.

Advanced Safety Features
The GS will also offer an optional Pre-Collision System (PCS) that can help reduce collision injury and damage. The system uses a millimeter-wave radar sensor to detect obstacles in front of the car and a pre-collision system computer with vehicle speed, steering angle and yaw rate inputs that help to determine in advance whether a collision is unavoidable. The system then preemptively retracts front seat belts and prepares Brake Assist for increased braking force to help reduce collision speed.

In addition, the new GS gains new knee airbags for the driver and front passenger as well as front and rear side curtain airbags as standard equipment. The Supplemental Restraint System in the new GS also includes variable-force front airbags for both driver and front passenger. Sensors determine the severity of the accident and in turn the force with which to deploy the front airbags, helping to provide the appropriate level of occupant restraint.

"Nearly every feature on the GS makes this sports sedan more manageable and more engaging to drive," said Clements.

Preliminary Specifications
Wheelbase: 112.2 in.
Length: 189.8 in.
Width: 71.7 in.
Height: 56.1 in.
Engines: 3.0 liter V6 - 245 hp; 228 lb.-ft. of torque
4.3 liter V8 - 300 hp; 325 lb.-ft. of torque
Transmission: 6-speed sequential automatic
Old 01-11-04, 12:24 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Let's look at what's wrong with this center stack inside:
]

First off - dump the cassette, it's a waste of space.

Second, why separate buttons for temp up/down? The rocker button on my 2000 GS is better ergonomically I think although I think I'd prefer a rotary dial.

Third, note the +/- on the shift gate - I guess this means no e-shift buttons on the steering wheel?

Fourth, I don't like the acres of dark hard textured plastic either side.

Fifth, as I've said (maybe I'm in the minority), I really think that aluminum trim is out of place.

Sixth, the wood grain looks cheaper than the walnut in mine, more like an ES.

None of these things make it a 'bad' interior, just not better than what I have today IMHO.
1.) Agreed, but perhaps it's useful for iPod type adapters (though component input jacks would be much better than an old-school cassette adapter).

2.) Agreed. Rockers (like the current GS) or rotary dial (like my '96 ES) are easier to work by feel, reducing the need for the driver to look away from the road. I'm guessing that the separate buttons were just an attempt at something "new."

3.) That seems to be where Toyota/Lexus is putting manumatic controls lately--notice the '04 LS or even the '04 Solara.

4.) Agreed, although this can be hard to tell from photographs.

5.) Aluminum trim is already popping up in Lexus vehicles, look inside a new RX 330, or especially the RX 400H. It's probably, like the temp controls, an attempt to "modernize"

6.) This was interesting to me, too. Instead of the walnut with a distinctive burl figure, or bird's eye figured maple, the two woods Lexus normally uses, this looks like a wood with a very even, straight grain. Even the ES uses walnut with a burled figure. This new GS wood looks more like the zebrano wood used in some GMC/Cadillac vehicles.

Last edited by squarehat; 01-11-04 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-11-04, 04:33 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default NEW GS CAN'T COMPETE WITH LF-S EXPECTATIONS

I was expecting the new GS to look like the Lexus LF-S prototype and I think others were too. That set our expectations way too high for the GS - many of us ASSUMED that the new GS would resemble it (even though Lexus never said this would be the case, many enthusiast sites/people did). Unfortunately, almost anything compared to it now looks ordinary. I wish Lexus would have went with the LF-S style for the GS. I think it's all about expectations. Thoughts?

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autosho...exus-concepts/
Old 01-11-04, 05:09 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

gekko, i just have to ask, have you read every page of this thread? bc everyone has given their thoughts on what you just asked....

just my thoughts, i dont intend that to sound mean
Old 01-11-04, 05:20 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default Re: NEW GS CAN'T COMPETE WITH LF-S EXPECTATIONS

Originally posted by Gekko
I was expecting the new GS to look like the Lexus LF-S prototype and I think others were too. That set our expectations way too high for the GS - many of us ASSUMED that the new GS would resemble it (even though Lexus never said this would be the case, many enthusiast sites/people did). Unfortunately, almost anything compared to it now looks ordinary. I wish Lexus would have went with the LF-S style for the GS. I think it's all about expectations. Thoughts?

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autosho...exus-concepts/
Then you'd get just as many people complaining that the car didn't retain the quad headlights of the 2nd gen. GS. You can't please everyone. I believe this car will please far more than it will dissapoint.
Old 01-11-04, 06:14 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think lexus is waiting til 2005 to sell the new gs to time it with the launch of lexus in japan, that means the current model will be the last to wear the aristo badge??
Old 01-11-04, 06:27 PM
lexmaster
Driver School Candidate

Just came back from the auto show in Detroit. Before I went to check out the new GS, I wanted to look at the 5 and E up close and have the opportunity to sit inside. I've already been in the E but wanted to have a side by side comparison. It is not particularly oustanding inside, nor outside in my opinion. The 5 series I really liked. I thought the outside was different, yet quite striking. I particularly liked the inside, especially the sport seats.

Quickly after I went to check out the new GS. As some of you probably know, I have been very critical of the new design and the Maxima copy. Well, the new GS is different in person. It is definitely more substantial and imposing looking than the new E (which looks like a C class compared to the GS). I believe the new GS has similar dimensions to the LS, but in person, definitely looks bigger. The rear of the GS is actually well done, in my opinion. The LED tailights are quite appealing, and look much more luxurious in person than in pictures. The profile of the car is very sleek and looks very well proportioned. I'm not sure what the weight distribution of this car is, but it looked pretty close to 50/50 in profile. The front cannot compare to the pics I have seen. It looks very sporty and elegant, although I still think Lexus could have done better with this area.

Overall, this car definitely made me happier in person than in pics. The interior of the car lacked the appeal of the 5 series I thought, but I was not able to sit in the new GS so it is not a fair comparison. They were also introducing the car as a V8 with 300 hp, no change in hp.

OH, and the Maxima design copy I have been complaining about is non existent in person. I did not see the resemblence at all. When comparing the new GS to the current generation, there is virtually none in person. The new GS looks the part of the sleeker, sportier and more luxurious sport sedan than its predecessor. And although 2 inches longer, the new GS looks much bigger than the old one.

Lexus has done a good job with the new GS. I wish they would have done more, but perhaps my expectations were set too high. Now if only Lexus improved hp, then I would really be happy with this car.
Old 01-11-04, 10:41 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

VIP style....mmhmm
Attached Thumbnails The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19-sessionsgsnew.jpg  
Old 01-11-04, 10:50 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Center Speaker?

Originally posted by VVT-i
Yes, you are correct the 01-04 GS with ML comes with center channel. The cut in the dash from the picture doesn't look like the center channel, but look more like some kind of pop up screen( just like on the IS with Nav). To be the night vision just like on the LX, but the LX night vision located right above the combination meter.
I think that cut out is for something useful, may be the display for the Hybrid or some technology like the night vision, but display the info on the center of the windshield ( projector)...????
I would think that cut out be a center channel for the ML. From the look of the attach picture there are also two area on each side of the A-Pillar also. My guess these are tweeter or midrange speakers. There is a small cutout for the front door speakers but I could not find any pictures of tweeters near the side mirror areas.

Chu...
Attached Thumbnails The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19-dash.jpg  

Last edited by ChuH; 01-11-04 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19