GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-04, 07:37 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 545i vs GS430

Have any of you guys driven the new 5 series or the 7 series? I did, this past weekend. I took my wife's LX 470 for the 50,000 mile service and there's a BMW dealer a couple of blocks down the street. I took the liberty of driving the GS430 first then I went drive the two BMW sport models. All I can say is WOW!!! I was totally impressed. The GS didn't come close to handling like the Beamer. Before this I had never taken a ride in a BMW much less driven one but I must admit that was the best handling car I have ever driven. The 5 series was outstanding but the 7 series had all the bells and whistles. I can't wait to see how the new GS measure up.
Old 03-15-04, 07:23 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

If you dont like how the G430 handles, upgrade the suspension. Add some new shocks, springs, or sway bars.

BTW about those pics posted earlier they arent very accurate
The same photographer at NAIAS snapped these shots

Old 03-16-04, 05:17 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexusLuver
[B]If you dont like how the G430 handles, upgrade the suspension. Add some new shocks, springs, or sway bars.
L L, let me start off by saying that I am not a BMW fan. As I stated in my earlier post that that was the first time that I have ever sat inside of a BMW much less drive one. I just don't understand why Lexus, who claims that the GS is a 5 series competitor doesn't outfit one model with a sports tuned suspension. Both vehicles cost about the same so why should I spend an extra $4,000 to get the Lexus to ride simular to the Beamer. The sad part of it all is even if I spent all the extra money to 'tune' the car it will never drive like the BMW because it wasn't built to be driven that way. I'm not saying that I would purchase a BMW but I wouldn't hestitate to buy a Lexus vehicle that could handle like that, stock. If BMW had the same reliability as the Lexus brand I would buy the 545i today.
Old 03-16-04, 09:43 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I might have missed a post here. But who said the new GS won't handle well, or it wasn't design to handle well? Are there any specs that prove it is inferior against the BMW 545I?

I just wish they'd add some more HP to the V8 engine. I think its about time.
Old 03-16-04, 11:20 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

No one said that the "NEW" GS will not handle as well as the "NEW" 5 series. I'm just stating the obvious about the current GS but if Lexus hold true to form (and I believe that they will) the new GS will not be a performance sports sedan. It will be a "luxury" sports sedan.
Old 03-16-04, 01:17 PM
JDZ25
Driver

Hey Looknow,

Have you heard anything from the dealer where you put your deposit down on the new GS? Any idea of when you might pick it up?
Old 03-16-04, 02:16 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

The next GS wont handle like the 545i. Lexus has no reason to imitate BMW. If someone likes how the 5-series drives then they should get a 5er, it's sad that they wont due to reliability concers.

However I expect to see a sport tuned suspension sometime in its 5yr lifecycle, particularily in its first 3yrs.
I doubt the GS will offer the aluminum suspension components of the 5-series. But I think the the GS will have a 50/50 weight distribution. Check out the stats on the 03 4.3L Crown, which likely will serve as the 06 GS platform. I'm guessing the N.American variant will have some Nurumburing suspension tuning unlike the Japanese version.

Keep in mind the GS is not a huge player in the Lex /Toyota lineup and never will be no matter how drastic Lexus approaches it. Most buyers arent going to be interested in if it handles as sporty as a BMW.

BTW...replaced sway bars, springs and shocks shouldnt cost $4000. At least not for me...I can do the service and the alignment afterwards too. Actually after the mods the GS should outhandle any factory 5series.
Old 03-17-04, 07:18 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by ktiger
L L, let me start off by saying that I am not a BMW fan. As I stated in my earlier post that that was the first time that I have ever sat inside of a BMW much less drive one. I just don't understand why Lexus, who claims that the GS is a 5 series competitor doesn't outfit one model with a sports tuned suspension. Both vehicles cost about the same so why should I spend an extra $4,000 to get the Lexus to ride simular to the Beamer. The sad part of it all is even if I spent all the extra money to 'tune' the car it will never drive like the BMW because it wasn't built to be driven that way. I'm not saying that I would purchase a BMW but I wouldn't hestitate to buy a Lexus vehicle that could handle like that, stock. If BMW had the same reliability as the Lexus brand I would buy the 545i today.
I don't believe Lexus has ever claimed that the GS is a 5 series competitor. Lexus has always targeted Mercedes, leaning more toward comfort. You can see the M-B influence in many of Lexus' designs, especially the LS. Infiniti is the one that targets BMW, leaning more toward performance. Consequently, I would never buy a Lexus expecting it to handle anywhere close to the Beemer. It really depends on your priorities as a driver. Don't get me wrong... I've given some thought to the new 5 Series as well, but I can't really warm up to the interior. Just a personal preference.

You can certainly come close to the BMW driving experience without sacrificing ride quality by doing a few tweaks. My L-tuned steering ECU, L-tuned springs and shocks, and 18" rims make a world of difference. (I also owned a stock '01 GS300, and it rode/handled like a boat in comparison.) Before the new rims were installed, the upgrades were done for less than $2,000 and vastly improved handling even with the stock 16" wheels. It was well worth the investment.

I agree with you... it would be nice to have a car that handled like a 5 Series without any aftermarket mods, but that just isn't reality with the current gen GS. Lexus leans more toward luxury and has been very successful with that formula. However, with a few improvements you can have the luxury, comfort and reliability of Lexus with the handling of a German car. You should consider it.
Old 03-17-04, 08:14 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by dseag2
I don't believe Lexus has ever claimed that the GS is a 5 series competitor.
Ummmmm...there was a commercial a couple of years ago with a GS430 and a 540i cruising along showing that the GS was faster and braked better than the 5. It ended with the 5 going off a cliff and deploying a parachute before saying, "Which car would you want to be driving" or something like that. On a humorous note, my friend replied, "I want the one with the parachute!!!"

Yes, the GS is spritually derived from the E-class, but there's no doubt that Lexus pits it directly against the 5-series, the A6, and S-Type, etc., also.
Old 03-17-04, 09:34 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

There's no doubt in my mind that Lexus can make the GS handle as well as the BMW. I do understand that Lexus has targeted the M-B consumer market but if I recall correctly M-B makes the E55 and other AMG models to compete directly against the Beamer. That's my biggest beef with Lexus.

As you mention about Infinity, they have very good handling cars with a lot of power but the luxury side leaves a lot to be desire. If they ever get that right, look out BMW.

I personally think that if Lexus make a GS "55" that it can compete and beat the Beamer or M-B because of their "relentless pursuit of perfection".
Old 03-19-04, 08:35 PM
elcue824
Rookie

Default hah

are you guys dreaming? I have supported toyota for a good minute now, for what? to get b*********. please, these cars are knock off's of the originals that suck at 10% off thats it, no rocket science
Old 03-19-04, 11:31 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Can you say that in plain english? I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 03-20-04, 10:02 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: hah

Originally posted by elcue824
are you guys dreaming? I have supported toyota for a good minute now, for what? to get b*********. please, these cars are knock off's of the originals that suck at 10% off thats it, no rocket science
riiiiiiiiiiight....and the upcoming AWD GS with hybrid engine is a knock off of which manufacturer? There's a reason the GS has won awards and had continuous fame and I do recall just about all the Lexus models being the best buy because they can out perform their competitors and still cost less. Plus why would you buy a car that costs more with crappy reliability and a really ugly appreance when you can buy something better with great reliability and better customer service?
Old 03-21-04, 07:12 PM
AutoSaurus
Driver School Candidate

Default pricing

What is the best guess on pricing for the new GS? Same?
Old 03-21-04, 08:21 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: pricing

Originally posted by AutoSaurus
What is the best guess on pricing for the new GS? Same?
Most likely slighty higher since its new and will have some new features. I'm sure the AWD will also be quite a bit more than the GS without AWD. My guess would be it would cost at least 3K more than a new previous gen GS and probably top out somewhere new 5K depending on options. We'll have to wait and see for sure tho

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19