GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-04, 08:13 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ChuH
The reason why I think the model number for the new Lexus vehicles does not necessarily mean displacement. For example, the upcoming RX400h uses a 230HP 3.3L V6 (same as RX330) plus 40HP electric motor (for a total of only 270HP) and it did not come with a 4.0L engine as the name implies based on previous Lexus naming schemes.
I've read that the numbering schemes for the hybrids are based on the fact that the combined power is equivalent to the power of the engine implied by the numbering. In this case, the RX400h has the effective power of a 4.0L V8. Wish I could find that quote... I think it might have been linked off of Autospies recently.

So that doesn't help explain the GT350 very well, unfortunately, because one would assume that engine configuration would perform better than a 3.5L V6/I6.
Old 09-07-04, 08:38 AM
pfsacer
Driver

Your right as far as the RX400h is concerned, I think it was even mentioned in a Lexus press release (4 cylinder economy with power equivelant to a V8)

As for the GT's (350, 500) they are rumored, and this has never been confirmed by Lexus unfortunately.

But my guess is that if the GT's will come as part of the Lexus Performance Department, they will be based on 3.5L-V6/5.0L-V8 in combination with the electric engines.
In that way working with a completely different numbering scheme, based on engine displacement (number) and the GT nomination for the hybrid part.

As for the RX400h, this is not a part of the performance department line-up and could for that reason have a different numbering scheme.

Again GT's are rumored and not confirmed.

I find Lexus lacking in the Marketing department compared to their competition, why not give some info, we haven't heard or seen anything since 01/04, while the cars are due in the showrooms in 6 month's from now.
Old 09-07-04, 06:29 PM
LexFather

Lexus will have to bump the power. THe G35 has 280hp now and so will the M45 with the V-6. The V-6 Rl has 300HP. The Germans are working on bigger engines also for their 530 and E320.

Lexus is the last to drop. The new E, 5, RL, M35/45, A6 and now the GS. The next Jag S-type is still some time away.
Old 09-08-04, 08:10 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone has the time, they should try to photochop one of the pics of the new GS into a Dark Blue or Black exterior instead of that silver.

-Michael-
Old 09-08-04, 09:21 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by MPLexus301
If anyone has the time, they should try to photochop one of the pics of the new GS into a Dark Blue or Black exterior instead of that silver.

-Michael-
It would certainly be nice to see it in a different color even though silver is probably its best color. It's funny, it's already been over 8 months since its unveiling but we have yet to see a second color.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 09-08-04 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-11-04, 08:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Well I got bored at work Today and read through ALL 70somthing pages of this thread...from the original anticipation to the post just before this one.

Let me post a few things about what I read:
1) I looked through all the press releases, comments, and quotes from Denny Clements and friends, and there has been no official word on the output of the V-8. There are "preliminary" specs, but still nothing official has been announced.
2) Even if this car does come out with "just" 300HP, that is more than plenty and I'm pretty sure it'll remain in the top 3 performing cars in it's segment. The truth of the matter is that many of you current 430 owners probably never take your cars to the 149MPH limit, so what is it going to matter if you get an additional 20-30 horses under the hood?
3) The current GS is one of TWO cars in it's class that develops it's 300HP at less than 6K Rpms (5600). Why is this important? The GS makes its maximum power before the other cars in it's class do, meaning its going to be a bit quicker until the top end (120+HP) arrives. The new 6SPD automatic in the LS delivers it's max power at 5600RPMS as well so I'm not expecting that to change in the new GS. This is going to make the car feel even faster than it will probably be.
4) The car hasn't grown much at all, so like I said in another post in this thread, I'm thinking that even if it does have "just" 300HP, the 6spd automatic will probably make the car good for a 5.5-5.7 second 0-60 which is faster than the competition, and puts it on par with even the 545i 6MT.
5) The only similarity with the Maxima is how the bumper juts out a bit beyond the trunk lid, giving it a sort of weird carved out look. The two vehicles really share almost NO styling cues aside from the shape of the door handles maybe.
6) Going against what I said in points 1 and 2, I think we will see Lexus throw at least another 15HP under the hood of the GS430, solely for competition. When the 545i, M45, A6, and STS are making at least 320HP. I think we are going to see them counter with SOMETHING. I'm thinking it will be 315-325HP and 335-345 lb-ft of torque, in which case, the car will be ripping the STS and M45 new A-Holes due mostly in part to the close ratio 6spd automatic. We'll see.
7) I think we all forgot about one of the most important features this car has. Right now, with the cars in this class you either get the standard model or the sport package. Typically, you have to choose between a smooth ride or a rough one, such as the 545i and 545i Sport. The new GS is coming with an adaptive variable suspension with FOUR settings. That will mean that you can feel like you're floating on clouds or probably hang with the 545i Sport in the corners, all with the flip of a dial. Pretty neat if you ask me...this is going to be a very desireable feature. This is also available on the ES, and remember what Automobile Magazine said about it? "Take the car from Buick Century to BMW 530i in the flip of a switch," ( when they first reviewed the ES300).
8) Considering #7 and the stance of the car, as well as the 18" wheels, I think we're going to be in for a much sportier driving car. It seems like the biggest complaint with the current GS400/430 is that it's too much engine for the suspension to handle. Seems like that might be corrected with the current model.
9) In page 20-something someone posted the dimensions of the new 5 series and the new GS, and the GS is smaller. If the car IS a bit smaller and lighter than the competition, plus has the rather underrated 4.3L V8 (I think it's underrated at least), it's going to fly.
10) Like many of you, I've been looking at the pictures over and over again, and I've reached a final verdict: This car is hot and sleek as hell. No, it doesn't have the instant "GOTTA HAVE IT!!!" look of the 2nd generation, but the headlights, taillights, wheels, flair in the doors and along the bottom, and the subtle details (the grill, big exhaust pipes, ect) make this car truly athletic looking. It also looks like a design that's going to age well. It's much better looking than the 5 IMO, more inviting and warm than the A6, sleeker and sexier than the E, more understated and elegant than the M, and more fluid than the STS. Lexus has designed a winner here IMO, and by going back through all the specs, press releases, comments, ect. I think that have an all around winner- inside and out, under the hood and on the track.

We'll see though...

-Michael-
Old 09-11-04, 08:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yea...and just look at how HOT the car looks in that small pic in my sig. Awesome!!
Old 09-11-04, 09:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

You have a very strong opinion, well done my friend. You made me a believer.

I always thought that the new one was HOT. Its so muscular, I love it. Those lines down the side are very well executed. And hell no it doesnt look like a Maxima.( off topic, but they get uglier every generation. 4th gen which I also have is the best looking one )
Old 09-12-04, 12:01 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by MPLexus301
Well I got bored at work Today and read through ALL 70somthing pages of this thread...from the original anticipation to the post just before this one.

Let me post a few things about what I read:
1) I looked through all the press releases, comments, and quotes from Denny Clements and friends, and there has been no official word on the output of the V-8. There are "preliminary" specs, but still nothing official has been announced.
2) Even if this car does come out with "just" 300HP, that is more than plenty and I'm pretty sure it'll remain in the top 3 performing cars in it's segment. The truth of the matter is that many of you current 430 owners probably never take your cars to the 149MPH limit, so what is it going to matter if you get an additional 20-30 horses under the hood?
3) The current GS is one of TWO cars in it's class that develops it's 300HP at less than 6K Rpms (5600). Why is this important? The GS makes its maximum power before the other cars in it's class do, meaning its going to be a bit quicker until the top end (120+HP) arrives. The new 6SPD automatic in the LS delivers it's max power at 5600RPMS as well so I'm not expecting that to change in the new GS. This is going to make the car feel even faster than it will probably be.
4) The car hasn't grown much at all, so like I said in another post in this thread, I'm thinking that even if it does have "just" 300HP, the 6spd automatic will probably make the car good for a 5.5-5.7 second 0-60 which is faster than the competition, and puts it on par with even the 545i 6MT.
5) The only similarity with the Maxima is how the bumper juts out a bit beyond the trunk lid, giving it a sort of weird carved out look. The two vehicles really share almost NO styling cues aside from the shape of the door handles maybe.
6) Going against what I said in points 1 and 2, I think we will see Lexus throw at least another 15HP under the hood of the GS430, solely for competition. When the 545i, M45, A6, and STS are making at least 320HP. I think we are going to see them counter with SOMETHING. I'm thinking it will be 315-325HP and 335-345 lb-ft of torque, in which case, the car will be ripping the STS and M45 new A-Holes due mostly in part to the close ratio 6spd automatic. We'll see.
7) I think we all forgot about one of the most important features this car has. Right now, with the cars in this class you either get the standard model or the sport package. Typically, you have to choose between a smooth ride or a rough one, such as the 545i and 545i Sport. The new GS is coming with an adaptive variable suspension with FOUR settings. That will mean that you can feel like you're floating on clouds or probably hang with the 545i Sport in the corners, all with the flip of a dial. Pretty neat if you ask me...this is going to be a very desireable feature. This is also available on the ES, and remember what Automobile Magazine said about it? "Take the car from Buick Century to BMW 530i in the flip of a switch," ( when they first reviewed the ES300).
8) Considering #7 and the stance of the car, as well as the 18" wheels, I think we're going to be in for a much sportier driving car. It seems like the biggest complaint with the current GS400/430 is that it's too much engine for the suspension to handle. Seems like that might be corrected with the current model.
9) In page 20-something someone posted the dimensions of the new 5 series and the new GS, and the GS is smaller. If the car IS a bit smaller and lighter than the competition, plus has the rather underrated 4.3L V8 (I think it's underrated at least), it's going to fly.
10) Like many of you, I've been looking at the pictures over and over again, and I've reached a final verdict: This car is hot and sleek as hell. No, it doesn't have the instant "GOTTA HAVE IT!!!" look of the 2nd generation, but the headlights, taillights, wheels, flair in the doors and along the bottom, and the subtle details (the grill, big exhaust pipes, ect) make this car truly athletic looking. It also looks like a design that's going to age well. It's much better looking than the 5 IMO, more inviting and warm than the A6, sleeker and sexier than the E, more understated and elegant than the M, and more fluid than the STS. Lexus has designed a winner here IMO, and by going back through all the specs, press releases, comments, ect. I think that have an all around winner- inside and out, under the hood and on the track.

We'll see though...

-Michael-
Another great write-up. Here is my BOLD prediction. The GS 430 will have 340 or 350hp. Why?
1. GS is the Lexus performance luxury sedan.
2. In the Rod Millen IS 430, the same 4.3 V-8 made 340hp. It had a 6 speed manual.
3. The LF-C concept (IS coupe) also had a 4.3 V-8 with a 6 speed manual.
4. If the next IS does offer a 4.3 V-8 like I predicted a very long time ago, it cannot have the same HP rating at the GS.
5. The Infiniti M45 might have more than 340hp upon final introduction.

No, the Lexus GS does not NEED high HP the rating. We have already stated, equal weight, 1 extra gear should drop times some. Also it's a LEXUS, people buy for the OVERALL package, not just some silly 0-60 time and HP rating.

But again, I predict at least 340hp.
Old 09-12-04, 02:16 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The HUGE thing for me is not the HP, it's the lack AWD in the V8.

Having a GS400 while living in Connecticut and even Virginia was very tough in the winter to get around. I attribute that to the 18" wheels I had and heavy HP. (even in Snow Mode)

I would grab a V8 in a second if it had AWD, but as it stands now I'll be getting the 6

When are they due out again ?
Old 09-12-04, 09:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I'm gonna post this just so we can compare the exterior designs of the new GS with the competition:

Old 09-12-04, 09:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Old 09-12-04, 09:48 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Old 09-12-04, 09:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Now...here's my analysis (in case any of you care ). First, the M45 pics are of the CONCEPT, not the production car. The only production pics were two or three times the size of the ones I posted.

1) Acura RL- This is quite possibly the most bland car over $30K, in my opinion even the Camry SE and Altima SE look better. I'm not going to talk too much about the design of this car because, well, there's not much to discuss. It's boring.

2) Audi A6- I've always loved the way Audi designs their cars, but IMO they're also a bit cold and hard looking. There are times when I like that more than something that's warm and interesting, but they aren't as "inviting" as the other cars in their classes. I'm also not really a fan of the "cookie cutter" thing that the Germans do. The A4 and A8 look practically identical except for proportions, and they are seperated by $30-40K. If I'm going to plunk down even $40K on a car, I don't really want it looking like one that starts at $10K less. A nice design, but I don't look at it and start drooling. Audi's designs always age nicely though.

3) BMW 5 Series- I know this has been beat to death on this forum, but I think the car looks ok. I like the headlights and some of the flame surfacing, but I don't particularly like how the whole package comes together. The front of the car looks very sleek and athletic, then the back just cuts off abruptly and looks awfully similar to the Camry. The "shoulders" were a great idea, and obviously Lexus thought so too. The car looks "good" like the A6, but overall it just doesn't mesh the way it should IMO. It'll be interesting to see how this design has fared 9-10 years from now.

4) Cadillac STS- The STS looks great, it really does. It's carried over the Art and Science theme that Cadillac has been using, but looks bigger, classier, and more expensive than the CTS, which it should. The proportions are just right, the details come together nicely (wheels, projector headlights, creases along the bottom and at the back, ect). The car is crisp and angular looking, and very modern, but I am concerned about how the whole Art & Science theme will age over time. Designs with a few subtle details and pleasant surprises, but that fit in with the history and evolution of the car age best. The STS is quite a departure from the Seville, but a handsome one at that.

5) Infiniti M- I think the M looks good, I really do. It's aggressive and athletic looking, but for me it's a bit too "in your face". I think it would be more acceptable as the next G35, because once you get to this price point designs are supposed to look a bit more mature. Infiniti obviously needs to hire a new group of people to design the back ends of their cars because the last few- M, G35, refreshed Q45, G35 Coupe, are all rather...unattractive to say the least. For me, The M fits into that same category as the 5 Series which says, "Hey look at me and my flashy car!!!". I'd be more inclined to own an E Class, new STS or new GS which is still attractive, but is also conservative, understated and elegant. The M screams sport and athleticism, without much class or elegance whereas the Mercedes and Lexus incorporate all of those elements better IMO. If someone I knew was shopping for a car in this price range and wanted a raw sports sedan that played and looked the part, the Infiniti dealer would be the first place I'd tell them to look. I think the design will age well over it's model cycle.

6) Lexus GS- I think the GS is the best looking averall sedan here. It's subtle, elegant, and conservative but still modern, aggressive and passionate. The car doesn't exactly stick out and say, "Hey look this way!" but that's what I like about it. The flame surfacing (shoulders) similar to the 5 Series work better on the GS IMO because they start just behind the headlights and go all the way to the back end, whereas BMW's don't span the whole car. The new GS looks like it's been stretched corner to corner and like the body just barely fits over the wheels. This makes for a lean, swept back, "ready to leap" and aggressive stance. It almost looks as though some parts of the car- wheel wells, hood, back end, are bulging which makes the car look thick and substantial. The 5Spoke 18" wheels also give a flair of sporty attitude. The squinted headlights are traditional Japanese, and the tail lights- two circles inside a rectange at each side, look exceptionally sporty to me. The exposed, chrome exhausts look pretty big and also convey a sense of aggressiveness. Overall, I think the GS (as well as the E Class) are the most cohesive and fluid designs in their classes. The fact that it's a nice evolution from the 2nd generation and even infuses elements of the 1st gen will bode well for the design of this car in the long term. Conservative yet attractive, aggressive yet subtle, and substantial yet lithe.

7) Mercedes-Benz E Class- Like the GS, the details on this car come together very nicely. The headlights and tail lights are traditional Mercedes and a nice evolution from the last generation. Everything is in proportion and where it should be. The car isn't necessarily sporty looking, but the 5 spoke wheels, slim profile, and wide stance to give an authoritative character. The design meshes together very well and looks much better than any of the other cars mentioned IMO, and almost as good as the GS. For being 2 years old already, the E Class still looks stunning. This design, like many of Mercedes others, will hold up very well in the long term.

Just my .02...feel free to post your thoughts.

-Michael-

Last edited by MPLexus301; 09-12-04 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-12-04, 09:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Sadly, I'll have to pick the exterior design of the new M45 & E class over the new GS without hesitation whatsoever. The new GS just looks bland & boring to me, seems more suitable to be the next Toyota Avalon than a Lexus GS I have no problem with it's overall shape, but they should have made the quad headlights & the grille more aggressive, & the taillights isn't so hot neither.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-12-04 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19