GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-04, 06:00 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wait there's more

damn that car looks HOT!
My opinion keeps getting better and better.
The only thing I dont like is c-pillar. It extends too far to the rear, that whole muscular arm design theme.

I'm sure it works well for aerodynamics.

Old 11-07-04, 06:35 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

From what I can tell the new GS looks 10X better under natural lightings.

Supposedly Toyota spent some big $$$ building an indoor design studio that accurately projects various natural lighting conditions.

Last edited by LexusLuver; 11-07-04 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-07-04, 08:14 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those last three pics are SO HOT!!!
Old 11-07-04, 11:32 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by MPLexus301
Those last three pics are SO HOT!!!
Agreed!

Damn, the new GS is easily one of the most gorgous cars ever created! Simply stunning.
I don't see how a lot of people aren't seeing this, and on a Lexus forum no less.

On a scale of 1-10, the 2006 GS is a 12 1/2.
Old 11-07-04, 11:38 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Yeah, with the most recent round of pics it's definitely grown on me. Before I was take it or leave it, but the needle has definitely swung significantly in favor now.

I'm trying to decide what I want to do on the car front right now. I've had my GS430 for >4 years now and, while I love it, my wandering eye is doing some serious wandering. The '05 G35 actually looks very good to me and resolves many of my previous criticisms, namely the lackluster interior (see pics of the Stone/gray interior, especially on a Lakeshore Slate exterior). They've also adding power tilt/telescopic steering, MP3 playback, more power (298HP for the 6MT), 19" wheels, etc. So I may just add XM to my GS430 and wait to see what happens over the next year or so with the new GS, the new Infinti M, and even the RL A-Spec, or I may just grab a G35 coupe in December or January.
Old 11-07-04, 07:25 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah soon I will post my own pic from Miami AutoShow stay tuned.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

I posted it under topic "2006 GS Up Close and Personal in Miami"

56K WATCH OUT!!!!!!

Last edited by Vladi; 11-07-04 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-10-04, 09:05 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Damn!

Finally saw it in person at the Boston Auto Show last night! It was silver so I didn't bother taking pics since we have a million silver pics already.

Like everyone says, even better in person. Honestly, the best looking sedan ever made. I'd say the same thing even if it wore a Chevy badge.

It long and ultra sleek with a very low stance. It makes the current GS, although gorgous, look too tall, blocky, stubby. It definalely has the presence of a long sports touring coupe with four doors. Absolutely fabulous!

Put me down for one in 2009 when I can afford a used 2006.
Old 11-10-04, 10:04 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by JLSC4
Put me down for one in 2009 when I can afford a used 2006.
Yeah, that's roughly my plan as well. Buy a second year (so most of the kinks are worked out) model used, and then buy one with low milage after its around 3 years old. That way I'll have gotten some good use out of my 99 (it'll be 10 years old by then!) plus I won't be paying sticker price.

It's still frustrating that nobody has heard anything about the chassis or suspension or motor. Come on Lexus... a successful ground-up redesign car is not made simply by giving it up to date styling and some new toys for drivers and their passengers to play with. I really hope that in addition to all of this fluff, you've done more actual improvements to this car over the last 7-8 years... something more than just an extra gear in the automatic trans and AWD for the 6-cyl.

How about an improved V8, a significantly more structurally rigid chassis, major advancements in sound deadening technologies including possibly an active noise canceling system built into the audio system (heck, even the new 05 Honda Accord hybrid this technology now), maybe some significant updates to the nav system including live traffic reports? What about a DVD-Audio or Super Audio CD capable surround sound system with XM radio standard?

These may very well be improvements that Lexus has made, but just doesn't market for some reason. Who knows. But as far as we know of the improvements to date, they seem mainly to be asthetic and superficial in nature.
Old 11-10-04, 04:07 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah, that's roughly my plan as well. Buy a second year (so most of the kinks are worked out) model used, and then buy one with low milage after its around 3 years old. That way I'll have gotten some good use out of my 99 (it'll be 10 years old by then!) plus I won't be paying sticker price.
A few months before it goes on sale, probably every car magazine will have a test drive to report on. We just need to be patient.

Ed
Old 11-11-04, 08:07 AM
Skinny
Driver

Originally posted by Threxx

It's still frustrating that nobody has heard anything about the chassis or suspension or motor. Come on Lexus... a successful ground-up redesign car is not made simply by giving it up to date styling and some new toys for drivers and their passengers to play with. I really hope that in addition to all of this fluff, you've done more actual improvements to this car over the last 7-8 years... something more than just an extra gear in the automatic trans and AWD for the 6-cyl.

How about an improved V8, a significantly more structurally rigid chassis, major advancements in sound deadening technologies including possibly an active noise canceling system built into the audio system (heck, even the new 05 Honda Accord hybrid this technology now), maybe some significant updates to the nav system including live traffic reports? What about a DVD-Audio or Super Audio CD capable surround sound system with XM radio standard?

These may very well be improvements that Lexus has made, but just doesn't market for some reason. Who knows. But as far as we know of the improvements to date, they seem mainly to be asthetic and superficial in nature.

Alot about engine has already been heard....engines: 3.0L V6 with 245bhp(New engine with DI).
4.3L V8 with 300bhp(carryover)
Chassis....you know it's going to have VDIM(evolution of VSC).
I'm sure you'll hear more as it gets closer to launch times. You should know that Toyota is pretty secretive about products until close to introduction. It's just something to expect from them.

ANd about auto-cancelling sound system. Lexus' are already quiet and it seems like alot of people's goals on these boards is to make the car faster, louder, handle better. So, what's the point of active noise cancelling technologies?
Old 11-11-04, 08:36 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Skinny
Alot about engine has already been heard....engines: 3.0L V6 with 245bhp(New engine with DI).
4.3L V8 with 300bhp(carryover)
Chassis....you know it's going to have VDIM(evolution of VSC).
I'm sure you'll hear more as it gets closer to launch times. You should know that Toyota is pretty secretive about products until close to introduction. It's just something to expect from them.

ANd about auto-cancelling sound system. Lexus' are already quiet and it seems like alot of people's goals on these boards is to make the car faster, louder, handle better. So, what's the point of active noise cancelling technologies?
Well the V8 is what I want to be improved. The new V6 is cool and all, but I haven't even really heard anything that makes it all that much better than the I6 motor it replaces besides a small increase in power.

VDIM is nice, but that's an enhancement to the computer's traction control system and really has nothing to do with the chassis itself as far as I know. I'm talking about structural and dynamic improvements to the subframes and such.

It would be stupid for Lexus to give up on their quest for the quietest car on the block. That's pretty much their claim to fame is a perfectly quiet and perfectly smooth car. Otherwise they might as well start trying to mimic Acura, or even more to the extreme, BMW.

Just because a lot of heavily active members on this board mod their cars to be louder doesn't mean that's what the other 98% of Lexus buyers want. And I'm sure Lexus knows this.

Last edited by Threxx; 11-11-04 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-11-04, 11:12 AM
Skinny
Driver

Originally posted by Threxx
Well the V8 is what I want to be improved. The new V6 is cool and all, but I haven't even really heard anything that makes it all that much better than the I6 motor it replaces besides a small increase in power.

VDIM is nice, but that's an enhancement to the computer's traction control system and really has nothing to do with the chassis itself as far as I know. I'm talking about structural and dynamic improvements to the subframes and such.

It would be stupid for Lexus to give up on their quest for the quietest car on the block. That's pretty much their claim to fame is a perfectly quiet and perfectly smooth car. Otherwise they might as well start trying to mimic Acura, or even more to the extreme, BMW.

Just because a lot of heavily active members on this board mod their cars to be louder doesn't mean that's what the other 98% of Lexus buyers want. And I'm sure Lexus knows this.
Do you really need Lexus to tell you the chassis will be upgraded? When is the last time a car was upgraded and the chassis was not? From one generation to the next, structural integrity always goes up(at least 99% of the time). BTW, strong rumor is Porsche did development work on the GS's suspension, if that helps.

I think the active noise cancelling is a great new feature, but I don't think it is really a feature that is going to make your car more noticeably quieter. THe current GS is already quiet, and I would doubt it if the new RL for example is noticeably quieter than the current GS.
Old 11-11-04, 05:20 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Skinny
Do you really need Lexus to tell you the chassis will be upgraded? When is the last time a car was upgraded and the chassis was not? From one generation to the next, structural integrity always goes up(at least 99% of the time). BTW, strong rumor is Porsche did development work on the GS's suspension, if that helps.

I think the active noise cancelling is a great new feature, but I don't think it is really a feature that is going to make your car more noticeably quieter. THe current GS is already quiet, and I would doubt it if the new RL for example is noticeably quieter than the current GS.
I'm pretty sure that it is. My 99 GS400 has a couple hundred square feet of aftermarket sound deadeing on top of the factory stuff and my friend's HONDA ACCORD (2003, base mode, 4cyl manual) has barely any more road or wind noise than my car. Sure his motor is loud, and when he hits bumps and stuff they are quite a bit harsher. But in terms of just flat out road noise, his Accord is scarily close to my GS4.

With that said, I figure with 05 Accord with active noise cancelization is even quieter, and the new TL with the same technology plus quiite a few other enhancements for a quiet ride is almost certainly many times quieter than even the Accord.

Last edited by Threxx; 11-11-04 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 03:41 PM
rai
Lead Lap

I'm new here haven't read all 75 pages yet.

I'm probably going to be buying a $50K-sedans. Probably in 8-18 month time frame.

I'm probably going for a V6 awd. In other words RL<>M35<>GS300<>A6

I have to drive them all, but the MB and BMW are a bit overpriced IMO. Also I've owned a BMW and have been put off by un-reliability. In my one case. Can't say all BMWs break down a lot. Or all Lexus/Acura cars are 100% reliable, but that's my impression.

IMO the German trio are more likely to have issues.

STS looks good, but I'm too young to drive a Caddy (Don't you have to be over 50 years old to own one?)

A6 looks OK, but I own a VW and am not impressed with the amount of time it needs to be fixed.

That leaves RL<>M35<>GS300

I like the idea of Lexus reliability (tho I think Acura is just as good).

I like the looks GS best RL worst with the A6 and G35 in the middle.

I believe the RL will be the heaviest (it's over 4000 lbs). however it's got the others covered with 300hp

I'm a little anoyed that Lexus starting from scratch picked the smallest and least powerful engine. I guess it didn't want to get too close to it's 300hp V8. Just that the RL has 300hp and the M35 has 270+hp (probably closer to 290hp)

The GS will benifit from a 6-speed tranny. The RL only has a 5-speed.

I'd hope the GS is more athletic more like a 530i than the RL. I know it's supposed to be luxury and sporty but I'd rather have the emphasis on sporty.

I'm probably leaning towards the GS. I like the engine in the RL best but it looks too much like an accord. The M35 looks OK but maybe a bit to over the top esp the rear end.

Any guess on the curb weight of the AWD GS300? I hope it's below 38xx lbs.

Anyone think the GS awd will be as fast as 530i or RL those run comfortable 6.7 sec 0-60? I guess not but a solid 7.0sec will be OK in my book.

Sorry for the rambling

Last edited by rai; 11-16-04 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 04:57 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Just wondering if anyone thinks the 3.0L is a let down?

I see why they keep the previous V8 that's OK it's tried and true.

What does this 3.0L (not tried true) bring to the table over the million+ unit 3.3L V6 in every other Toyota?

Are they useing a 3.0L b/c it's the GS300 not the GS330? That seems to be a weak reason to go with a certain displacement.

Let's see:

3.0L has 245hp 228-TQ

3.3L has 225-230hp and 240-242-TQ

That's kinda close. So we're giving up TQ for a bit of HP. We're giving up tried and true (off the shelf) for direct injection (un-proven?)

Is it just me? I'm not trying to put the GS300 down, but is the extra few hp worth the risk of a brand new engine design?

Maybe the 3.0L has better fuel mileage?

Maybe the 3.0L revs faster or smoother?

I'd have liked it better if the direct injection had been 3.3L and more like 270hp 260-TQ.

Still a winner all the way, just nit picking.

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19