GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-04 | 07:05 AM
Skinny
Driver

Originally posted by rai
Just wondering if anyone thinks the 3.0L is a let down?

What does this 3.0L (not tried true) bring to the table over the million+ unit 3.3L V6 in every other Toyota?

Let's see:

3.0L has 245hp 228-TQ

3.3L has 225-230hp and 240-242-TQ

That's kinda close. So we're giving up TQ for a bit of HP. We're giving up tried and true (off the shelf) for direct injection (un-proven?)

Maybe the 3.0L has better fuel mileage?

Maybe the 3.0L revs faster or smoother?

I'd have liked it better if the direct injection had been 3.3L and more like 270hp 260-TQ.

Still a winner all the way, just nit picking.
the 3.3L V6 in the ES330 is a old engine. IT's basically the 3.0L V6 from 1994, with the addition of VVTi(on just the intake) and a 0.3L bump in displacement. The ES's engine is not particulary free-revving and personally it's not meant for a "sporty" car.

THe 3.0L V6 in the GS300 is a all-new design from the bottom up with the latest technology-Direct Injection, VVTi on both intake and exhaust. This should be a very free revving and smooth engine with exceptional fuel economy.

You also have to remember the GS300 is going to have a 6-speed automatic, so it should be quite a bit quicker than the outgoing GS. ALthough I don't think with AWD, the GS300 will be a under 7 second car to 60MPH.
Old 11-17-04 | 07:29 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Can anyone confirm for me that the 3.0L V6 in the GS300 is going to be closely related to the V6 found in the all new Tacoma and 03+ 4Runner?
Old 11-17-04 | 09:47 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Skinny
You also have to remember the GS300 is going to have a 6-speed automatic, so it should be quite a bit quicker than the outgoing GS. ALthough I don't think with AWD, the GS300 will be a under 7 second car to 60MPH.
I agree.

I guess it's not so bad. HP is about the same as the first LS and more than the current 3.0L in the 530i

And like I said the 3.3L is not a bad engine close in power to the new engine. It moves my 4300 lb Sienna smartly for a minivan.

Wish they did a 3.3L with the new engine design, but I guess tha't for hp bumps in the future.

Last edited by rai; 11-17-04 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-23-04 | 10:12 AM
Skinny
Driver

I was just looking at the color selection again for the 2006 GS and I noticed something....BORING....

why can't they be more imaginative with the colors? or have some more vibrant colors?

Yellow like on the IS300 would be nice. That would really fit the sporting image.

Also, a bright red like on Porsche's, Ferrari's would be nice.

A medium blue like the beautiful metallic blue on BMW's would be nice.

A yellow GS with grey/black chrome trim all around would be nice......!!!
Old 11-23-04 | 12:15 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

I was just looking at the color selection again for the 2006 GS and I noticed something....BORING....

why can't they be more imaginative with the colors? or have some more vibrant colors?

Yellow like on the IS300 would be nice. That would really fit the sporting image.

Now I pose this question to you... Have you ever seen a YELLOW 5 Series??

However I will agree more variety would be nice.. SBM (Spectra Blue Mica) will always be my favourite colour that Lexus put on their cars.. Wait till you see the cars in the flesh so to speak before beating Lexus up to much..
Old 11-23-04 | 12:17 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
I may be wrong, but can't you get the M5 in yellow? Perhaps that's just the M3 I'm thinking of, which of course is available in yellow. Looks great in that color, though! Any my friend has a yellow S4 that also looks really nice.

Last edited by SCWells72; 11-23-04 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-23-04 | 12:22 PM
Skinny
Driver

Originally posted by 2SAVVY

However I will agree more variety would be nice.. SBM (Spectra Blue Mica) will always be my favourite colour that Lexus put on their cars.. Wait till you see the cars in the flesh so to speak before beating Lexus up to much..
Just because you don't see a yellow 5-series doesn't mean it shouldn't or couldn't be done on the GS.

Personally, the IS looks great in yellow. And obviously M3's look great in yellow. I think the current '06 GS colors posted on this board are well, the usual colors, and they are mostly darker colors. Some bright colors would be nice.

Ah, the spectra blue mica GS was extremely nice as was the cinnabar red pearl.

The only bright color the '06 GS seems to have is the matador red, which doesn't look like it's as vibrant as the Cinnabar pearl on the current GS and they have the Blue Onyx, but that looks to be a very dark blue.

Personally, I don't see the fascination with having every car either silver, gray, or black. Or is that what everyone is happy with?

Wait till you see it in the flesh you say? I think the color swatches posted earlier say it all. Black is black, gray is gray, silver is silver on any car.
Old 11-23-04 | 04:35 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Just because you don't see a yellow 5-series doesn't mean it shouldn't or couldn't be done on the GS.

Personally, the IS looks great in yellow. And obviously M3's look great in yellow. I think the current '06 GS colors posted on this board are well, the usual colors, and they are mostly darker colors. Some bright colors would be nice.

Ah, the spectra blue mica GS was extremely nice as was the cinnabar red pearl.

The only bright color the '06 GS seems to have is the matador red, which doesn't look like it's as vibrant as the Cinnabar pearl on the current GS and they have the Blue Onyx, but that looks to be a very dark blue.

Personally, I don't see the fascination with having every car either silver, gray, or black. Or is that what everyone is happy with?

Wait till you see it in the flesh you say? I think the color swatches posted earlier say it all. Black is black, gray is gray, silver is silver on any car.
Yes I will give you that the colours have mellowed out over the years and yes I have seen the colour swatches but until you see them in daylight on the car you don't see how the light dances off the body. For example have you seen the LS with Flint Mica I personally think it is a perfect grey just like my Diamond Graphite (Silverstone in Canada) G35C but I may be bias too..

The target market for a GS is an affluent mid 30's to mid 50's (Someone correct me if I am wrong). Now most of these owners take clients out in their GS and personally I wouldn't want such an in your face colour like yellow when doing so. Now ClubLexus is not the norm where alot of us are younger or younger at heart and want a bit more flash. This would explain spinner rims on a GS or wild body kits ect ect.

Just my take on things..
Old 11-24-04 | 01:28 PM
LexFather

Attached Thumbnails The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19-yellow.jpg  
Old 11-24-04 | 01:28 PM
LexFather

Be careful what u ask for.
Attached Thumbnails The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19-yellow2.jpg  
Old 11-24-04 | 03:43 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by Threxx
Can anyone confirm for me that the 3.0L V6 in the GS300 is going to be closely related to the V6 found in the all new Tacoma and 03+ 4Runner?
Yes it's the same GR engine block family. The 3.0L is going to be the 3GR-FE. The 3.5L V6 which is found in the new 06 Avalon is the 2GR-FE which is supposed to be the 2nd engine choice for the new IS with over 300+hp. The current gen 4Runner/New Taco is the 4.0L 1GR-FE.

Last edited by flipside909; 11-24-04 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-24-04 | 04:03 PM
Skinny
Driver

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

Huh...that's a ugly shade of yellow for sure. It looks like it could be metallic yellow or a slighty off yellow color like a bit of orange thrown in. Not to mention it's got ugly wheels and a ugly body kit. Those 2 elements will ruin the looks on any car in any color, no matter how nice the color is.
Old 11-24-04 | 05:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
That yellow GS is YUCK !!
Old 12-02-04 | 09:19 PM
Mr.400
Driver School Candidate

Talking New GS

Seriously at first I was alittle upset with the back end of the new GS, but then I came back to grips with reality and realized that this car looks unbelievable. Especially the few pics with the body kit and where the car is lowered. Lexus keeps impressing me year after year. I love my 98 400, but since then they have added so much, its unreal.

- pics of my GS 400 coming soon, need a new scanner sorry.
Old 12-07-04 | 09:14 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

First off why is the new 2006 GS thread closed on the GS forum? Says locked, I finally found this thread over here in Car Chat.

If you don't want the Nav system, I wonder if you can still get the rear parking distance control, example,. sensors in the rear bumper to alert for backing up?

Quick Reply: The 2005 GS Jan 6th 2004 @ 8:30 am EST(ALL COMMENTS HERE PLEASE!)Pics pg 19