GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS/M35/45/RL comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 11:24 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

It really is a battle between the GS and M. The RL still offers no V-8. Looking at pics, the GS interior, you can see how well built it is. Look at how small the gaps are in the interior. THe RL has some big gaps and not a dime of wood on the console. The M45 looks very good, the best interior Nissan has ever made.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101448
Autoweeks 1st drive of the M. Very good review. Still, a stretched 350Z platform but they say its tons better than the old platform. Biker has posted in another thread the M35 trounced the RL in a track review.

The GS is so secretive. Hardly any pics in any magazines. No reviews. I guess they are waiting for the M35/45 reviews first. The Cars are only 1 month apart from their respective debuts.

Infiniti has shown when they try, they can make great cars ala the G35s. This M35/45 is a G35 with a much better interior and a V-8 option. Wow. Man I wish it had a manual.

I hope Lexus truly did their HW. The GS is supposed to be the badass Lexus. We'll see.
I don't know what you're looking at, but the interior of the GS is by far the most dated and non-descript of the three, which is precisely why I didn't consider it. The only contest, IMHO, is between the RL and the M. And since I drive the RL every day, I can vouch for the fact that the fit/finish is as good as any Lexus I've ever owned. Plus, the layout is modern vs. being a throwback to the 90's. You guys who think the Acura's interior is inferior (or doesn't use real wood ) just keep telling yourselves that!
Old 12-29-04, 11:47 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I disagree. I love my GS 300 solidiers but this whole website would be 100% different if no GS 400/430 were around. Either most all the mods/admins have/had it at some point.
I'll give you that, but how many of those mods/admins have actually owned a NEW GS400/430 vs. pre-owned?

Since any CL members with a third-gen GS430 will now have to go out and buy a NEW one for well over $50k, how many mods/admins (and members) do you think you'll have NOW that will actually own the car? I would imagine you'll find yourself with quite a different scenario over the next couple of years, with lots of "GS300 soldiers" and very few lieutenants. OMG... you could end up like the RL forum!
Old 12-29-04, 11:54 AM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B.S. the rl forum is like that because the car offers absolutly nothing. Hmm yeah back up sensors are a good option mabey i throw in the ugly wood steering wheel as well. People need to talk about something in a forum and acura hasn't given them somethign to talk about besides the sh-awd. no v8 no manual no options. And why dont they make one stripped an rl wut no navi no sh-awd no real time traffic no bose and then they would be a better company the car wuld probaly be liek 38000 they sell more units and they woudl be on their way to chasing lexus. Acura is just boring that is why their forum is boring and this is coming from a loyal acura owner PERIOD
Old 12-29-04, 12:10 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Just when I thought there's be good car info to exchange we get about forums?
Old 12-29-04, 12:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'll give you that, but how many of those mods/admins have actually owned a NEW GS400/430 vs. pre-owned?

Since any CL members with a third-gen GS430 will now have to go out and buy a NEW one for well over $50k, how many mods/admins (and members) do you think you'll have NOW that will actually own the car? I would imagine you'll find yourself with quite a different scenario over the next couple of years, with lots of "GS300 soldiers" and very few lieutenants. OMG... you could end up like the RL forum!
Well since people like their 2nd gen GS so much, many don't want to part with it. With the 1st gen RL, well no one really bought it and clearly, it can't be modded much. It was such an uneventful car, when the current RL came out, of course people would like to make that jump. The current RL is an improvement in pretty much every area. (similar to the jump from 1st gen GS to 2nd gen, no comparison)
With the 2nd gen to 3rd gen GS, the 2nd Gen GS was so good, it was an award winning car. Its hard to improve upon it. And people have dumped tons of money in them to customize to their tastes. So its 2 totally different scenes here. The 3rd gen could also be an improvement 100% but people love their current GS.

If you honestly want to find out what admins/mods own what(s), you can search and you will find your answers. Like our owner, Static911 has a new 911 4WS. It wont' be a matter of not being able to buy, but rather, do we want to buy the 3rd gen. That seems to be a problem looking at 2nd gen vs 3rd gen threads.

Clublexus was founded by MKilty with a new GS 400 4 years ago. And the first thing he did was get SRT to supercharge it.

Finally since the GSs have hit the used car market, we simply attract people who are into modifying cars and performance. The RL has been out since 1996 and every RL forum is dead. Period.

As a matter of fact, the most popular RL thread ever, is a 6 page thread of owners with SH-AWD problems, other electical problems, and dealers ignoring them.

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49577

Old 12-29-04, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I don't know what you're looking at, but the interior of the GS is by far the most dated and non-descript of the three, which is precisely why I didn't consider it. The only contest, IMHO, is between the RL and the M. And since I drive the RL every day, I can vouch for the fact that the fit/finish is as good as any Lexus I've ever owned. Plus, the layout is modern vs. being a throwback to the 90's. You guys who think the Acura's interior is inferior (or doesn't use real wood ) just keep telling yourselves that!
well, i won't roll my eyes, but i owned the tl-s before... maybe the new rl is better i don't know, but for all i care, the built and finish of my tl-s was really not that impressive at all... i surely don't miss it much. i never said it's inferior (it's better than a lot of other cars), but it's nothing that i will go excited about

it could be different audience too. for me i don't need a very innovative interior where i push a button and something will pop jumping up. i need an interior that i am comfortable with, everything is within my reach, easy to control, everything being simple. i haven't seen the 3rd gen gs in person yet, but i agree that the interior of the current gs starts to get a bit outdated, but i still love it coz' i never had to learn how to use the stuff on the dash -- eveything is intuitive, simple
Old 12-29-04, 01:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by biker
Just when I thought there's be good car info to exchange we get about forums?
i agree.... let's not throw in other forums and stuff into this thread, it's kinda not related. and i don't want to even start that discussion neither
Old 12-29-04, 01:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree.... let's not throw in other forums and stuff into this thread, it's kinda not related. and i don't want to even start that discussion neither
You maybe the only person that is a super-mod on 2 diff brand car forums. I'm a mod on diff forums but they are all Lexus related.

I cannot find any production M pics we haven't already seen. Magazines are getting their hands on them and the cars are geting rave reviews. Nor final pricing specs on the M 35/45/GS.

Old 12-29-04, 01:20 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
I agree as well...

Last edited by LexFather; 01-05-05 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 02:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ok since we all agree, let's put the forum discussion aside and focus on the comparisons between the 3 cars. i have no problem with debates and so, heck i don't see anyone agreeing on the same stuff always anyway. just no personal attack, and be constructive. that's the only want to make a thread useful

and nop, i won't need to share anything with anyone in particular. if i want to say it, i say it. but if i think it's useless, i forget about it. i say what i think is true and right. anyone knows me well will know how much i bash acura for the crappy tranny problems, and them being a chicken for no recall. i was among the first few to say it out loud and even sold my tl-s coz' i didn't want to see tranny problems. no one liked what i said back then, but look at it now, i pretty much don't have to say anything anymore and people will continue my talk. if there is something really wrong / right about a brand, lexus or not, i will say
Old 12-29-04, 03:36 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am 99% positive that center console in RL is not made of real wood.
Just knock on it and you will hear the sound of plastic. Then knock on the wood on doors and you will hear the way wood should sound.
I always said that Honda has the best wood imitation in the industry but in RL case it's just close to false advertising.

All this doen't mean that RL is a bad car of course.
Old 12-29-04, 04:22 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if this is a repost but this is from CarandDriver forums by Senneca01:

Honda Legend vs. Nissan Fuga 350GT

The January issue of Driver magazine in Japan does a comparison between the Honda Legend (Acura RL) and Nissan Fuga 350GT (Infiniti M35 Sport). They compared acceleration, braking, and track times on the Tsukuba test circuit.

Acceleration: The 350GT did 0-60 mph in 6.7 seconds and 0-100 14.7 seconds beating out the Legend by almost a full second, 7.4 and 15.5 respectively.

Braking: The magazine claimed the 350GT has the shortest 60-0 mph braking distance ever recorded, besting even the 350Z and other exotics. The Legend was behind those cars, by a number of feet.

Tsukuba Test Circuit: The Legend ran a 1'12 around the circuit, while the 350GT ran a 1'10.

The staff praised 350GT for its overall balance, ride quality, and the grippy RE-050A tires that were mounted on 19-inch rims. They also liked its torque rich VQ engine.

They staff praised Legends composure around the test circuit and around the corners well. The SH-AWD system allowed the RL to carve through corners with ease and hook up immediately at corner exits.

The magazine summarized that the Legend is a technologically advanced luxury car, where-as the 350GT is a drivers car capable of dethroning the BMW 5-Series.
Old 12-29-04, 04:25 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Good post good find exactly what i have been trying to tell people
Old 12-29-04, 04:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow i never paid attention to the performance of the rl before. 7.7 0-60?! isn't that a bit on the slow side considering it's a 300hp engine?
Old 12-29-04, 04:53 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

exactly duhhh... the rl is too heavy its a v6 torque low just a marketing gimik.

Quick Reply: GS/M35/45/RL comparisons