GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS/M35/45/RL comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 01:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I am 99% positive that center console in RL is not made of real wood.
Just knock on it and you will hear the sound of plastic. Then knock on the wood on doors and you will hear the way wood should sound.
It doesn't work that way. Most car makers use a thin veneer of 'real wood' glued to a shape for either dash or console or door inserts, for example. The material used for the 'shape' is what determines the sound you'd hear when you knock on it, not the wafer thin wood glued to it.
Old 12-30-04, 01:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BaLLzZz
msrp gs 300 awd around 42-43 with navi no word yet on audio options but the fully loaded gs430 is gunna be around 53-55 so ur a bit off u gotta remember thoguh u can only get the v6 in awd their is no optional awd for the v8
Where do you get these prices? I don't believe the MSRP on the new GS300 with AWD and navi will be that low.
Old 12-30-04, 01:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

From reading this (very interesting) thread, I'm coming to the conclusion that the new Infiniti M really is what the new 5 series should have been. It's fast, handles well, is likely to be reasonably priced for what you get, and it looks good. The 5 (545 at least) is fast, handles well, but is ugly and expensive.
Old 12-30-04, 01:23 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will not be similarly priced but think what you want. Just to let u kno i am a loyal acura owner at that...
Old 12-30-04, 01:47 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

it will not be similarly priced but think what you want. Just to let u kno i am a loyal acura owner at that...
I don't doubt that you're a loyal Acura owner (probably more loyal than me), but I'm sincerely interested in finding out how you know that a similarly loaded GS AWD won't be similarly priced. Did Lexus release some preliminary pricing info that I obviously don't know about? Of course, a base GS300 will be cheaper, but that is to be expected.

I'm just basing my pricing estimates on:

$45,600 (MSRP of current GS300 RWD with Navi and premium audio)
$1,600 (AWD)
$2,300 (General improvements, additional features, inflationary increase)
-------------
$49,500

RL=$49,500

Hopefully, I'm wrong, and Lexus will undercut RL prices. The consumer wins in the end.
Old 12-30-04, 02:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

msrp gs 300 awd around 42-43 with navi no word yet on audio options but the fully loaded gs430 is gunna be around 53-55 so ur a bit off u gotta remember thoguh u can only get the v6 in awd their is no optional awd for the v8
Those maybe true for a new Gen 2 GS, but not for the new GS300 AWD. Those numbers are not even official, just guesses.
Old 12-30-04, 02:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It doesn't work that way. Most car makers use a thin veneer of 'real wood' glued to a shape for either dash or console or door inserts, for example. The material used for the 'shape' is what determines the sound you'd hear when you knock on it, not the wafer thin wood glued to it.
yup, ever since we found out (well someone proved me) how the wood trim are done on the center console and the door on the second gen gs, i think just listening to the sound is very hard to tell...
Old 12-30-04, 02:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Those maybe true for a new Gen 2 GS, but not for the new GS300 AWD. Those numbers are not even official, just guesses.
yeah, if the new gs3 awd is that cheap, then man, that's going to be very very attractive
Old 12-31-04, 01:11 AM
RedAtNine
Driver School Candidate

RL interior has always been made of real wood. The previous generation also carry the distinction of being the only Acura not offered with fake wood.

The wood in new RL is nautral maple.

Link

Personally I think new GS is very disappointing in terms of styling especially when compare to LF-S. I like M35/45 styling but the rear leaves a lot to be desire. If Infiniti could make the tailights a bit smaller it would look a whole lot better. Acura is a bit of a mystery to me as I don't quite understand how they think. A high ouput V6 is fine but at least upgrade the tranny to more gears so you get better performance and less fuel consumption to stay in the game. Acura has a 6 speed DSG style gearbox they been developing since the late 90's and I have yet to see them put it into any Honda/Acura applications.
Old 12-31-04, 07:09 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RedAtNine welcome to the forum!

If that is real wood than it's really thin layer like tracing paper. I don't know but even if the sound of a wood depends on the material where it's mounted like Bitkahuna said it also has to depend on the thickness of the wood piece. Thicker the wood, thicker the sound is and RL doesn't sound like that.
So it's either imitation, thin layer of wood that lacks some soft material underneath it or it's mounted poorly (which I don't believe it's the case).

I am not convinced that It's real wood from my experience in RL, it doesn't feel like, it doesn't sound like. But if Acura says that all wood inserts are real than they probaly are , it's just that they did a bad job with it. They could have used their plastic imitation which is the best on the market cause on touch and sound it's same like their wood in RL. So what is the purpose of the wood then?

Last edited by Vladi; 12-31-04 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-31-04, 07:29 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes that is true but it's not simple as that also. Plastic and wood have different sound no matter how thick or thin they are. When you knock on the piece in a car what you hear is the piece bouncing of what's underneath. So when plastic bounces it's different than genuine wood. I think one of the solutions to isolate the sound and bouncing is to mount it on something soft, like rubber than you will get deep sound out of plastic.
You can do the experiment yourself. Take the plastic and wooden rulers that are same thickness and place them on the same surface and do the knock.
It will not prove much cause wood and plastic used in cars are hundred thousand times more refined and processed than two rulers but you will see that at least it's not the same.
Old 12-31-04, 01:31 PM
biker
Lead Lap

All I can say is: WOOD IS FOR FURNITURE!!!!! not a car.
Old 12-31-04, 05:33 PM
LexFather

From reading this (very interesting) thread, I'm coming to the conclusion that the new Infiniti M really is what the new 5 series should have been. It's fast, handles well, is likely to be reasonably priced for what you get, and it looks good. The 5 (545 at least) is fast, handles well, but is ugly and expensive.
Great point. And I really think Infiniti dropped the ball not offering a manual. If they had a manual, the automotive press would simply claim it probably, the new king. Infiniti says they are serious about performance, but offers a 5 speed automatic only. When the competiton has 6 speed autos.
Even if they didn't make a manual M45, it would have been easy to make a manual M35, since its a G35 engine/tranny/parts350Z etc.

Biker, I think you Europeans started putting wood in cars. I think. I like tasteful wood. The Infiniti Ms looks pretty good though I would like some more shine (just a tad more). The GS, Lexus has ALWAYS had real wood, so they always provide solid real wood. The Acura's looks weird and cheap, even if its real. Just a sign of in-experience, at least it is real (right?.

RedAtNine, welcome to Clublexus.

Old 12-31-04, 06:37 PM
LexFather

GS vs RL door.
Autospies released their most disapointing cars of the year.
1. Honda Odyssey
2. Acura RL
2. Acura RL- Is everyone else driving a different version of the RL than us? Or are they scared to death to jeopardize the huge ad dollars Acura is throwing at them? We drove this thing and couldn’t believe how awful this thing drove. It was heavy feeling and the steering was absolutely numb. It felt like a 1995 E-class gone WAY wrong. The suspension is so brittle and stiff (maybe due to the SHAWD?) that is very uncomfortable over rough pavement. Then there was the space issue. This car is TINY inside the cabin! It feels slightly larger than a 3-series and even the TL feels more roomy. Acura will tell you the specs say there is more space in the RL than the TL but we didn't see it. Go sit in both and you make the call. It’s not even close. Now let’s talk about the exterior design. How can their flagship not be the best looking car in their product line? We think the TL beats it there as well. Now price…$50k for the RL? You have got to be kidding us! Not a chance this things worth over $40 grand. The only redeeming feature? The dash/console design and the best nav system on earth. Keep those, scrap the rest and start over. BMW, MB, Lexus and Infiniti are laughing in their halls!

5. Cadillac STS (a great car but sadly true, we are not even comparing it here).

Last edited by LexFather; 12-31-04 at 06:45 PM.

Old 12-31-04, 06:57 PM
LexFather

This is pre-production but a very flattering look at the M45. Very nice here. Followed by the current M45. They look nothing alike. Infiniti should not have brought that gap filler in. This is why people say no one knows what an Infinti looks like. too much change. this also kills re-sale

I am trying hard to find pics with similar poses. Not many production M35/45 pics.

A6
NEW PASSAT!!

I added the Passat, which also debuted in 1998 with its fastback roofline and still to this day looks great. Kudos to Lexus and VW/Audi for bringing this look to sedans.
Old vs New GS

Quick Reply: GS/M35/45/RL comparisons