GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS/M35/45/RL comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 09:10 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
RJML, getting access to the ls430 ul isn't something ground shaking man, if i need i can have that car tomorrow. i drive that car extensive enough to know most of it. and i happen to have driven the rl as well.

i am not going to go into details, coz' i don't think there is a need. coz' putting the rl together in comparison with the ls430 ul would be the last thing i consider doing. this might be subjective to certain extend, but probably more objective than what you said

the rl is a nice car, i dont think anyone is saying that it's crap. but it's nothing like ls430 bro, let alone the two letters UL
Nobody's saying it's "crap", but 1SickLex has said the wood looks "cheap and weird" and the exterior styling is about as exciting as "watching grass grow" and BALZZZ has been happy to chime in with it has "nothing to offer". I think that qualifies as bashing. Suppose I came in here and said the reason I traded my '03 GS300 was because it's starting to look bloated and dated, has old technology and can't handle its way out of a wet paper bag. At least I didn't say it was "crap". And for anyone who jumps in with "you should have bought a 430", I test drove one and it drove like a boat. If I'm gonna pay $50k for a car I don't want to have to pay $$$thousands$$$ more to make it handle.

I've always tried to be objective in my comments because I've owned many Lexuses, and probably will again, but since we're being honest...

And BTW, my '03 GS300 Sportdesign stickered at $46k w/ nav/Lev, so for anyone who is friggin' deluded enough to think an '06 GS3 will sticker for $38k, keep dreaming.

Thanks so much for your "unbiased" comments.
Old 01-04-05, 09:30 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As funny as it sounds, we do have a lot Badge whoring on this forum. I honestly don't see anything special about the new GS interior or exterior. Nothing new
I actually think the new TL interior looks a lot better than the new GS interior/exterior and if the TL ever gets AWD. Forget
I could care less that the GS has wood.
Please don't get me started on the exterior, yes it looks a little better than the RL but it's by far nothing special. Huge Maxima.
The E class is by far the best looking car in that class.
Give me a **** break on the fit & finish when have you ever heard of an RL have any type of problems? I'm sure their will be a few glitches in its revise first year.
Your complain about the RL fit & finish when all those germans car companies are pushing that b.s. to american cosumers.
If Acura would have made a tweak Legend exterior with the RL options I would even be thinking about a GS.
Yes I love Lexus customer service and fit/finish but this best sport sedan stuff needs to stop. I feel in order to be a sport sedan the company might want offer a manual version or car with more than 300 horsepower first. The gs400 & 430 have had 300hp since production.
"gs400998"
People call my Lexus GS/Acura NSX a Toyota or Honda all time. But do I give a **** NO!!!!
BaLLzZz
All the reasons you gave were your opinion not the average car buyer.

Another is the gs350 coming soon and the gs450 which is hybrid where is the RL on that one.
First you have no real prove that a hybrid is coming just speculation. Plus there have been a number of articles on the web for a while now discussing the RL & NSX (hybrid). Speculation

Engine displacement
Such a weak argument especially when it's been proving that the gs300 sells twice as much as the gs430.

RL too sporty!
Ok which is it? Some magazines say you never notice the AWD. Feel Disconnect
Why in the world would you test drive the new RL 4 times if you don't like the car? Sounds kind of funny to me. You’re definitely not a buyer for a gs/m/rl/5seris/ since they are all sport sedans. LS or S class sounds just right for you. So why jump on RJML because he feels the RL has some nice features comparable to Lexus?

All three cars have their disadvantage but all 3 are lovely. IMO the only real sports car Toyota has ever made was the Supra.

Last edited by rogers2; 01-04-05 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-04-05, 10:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Thanks so much for your "unbiased" comments.
are you directing this to me? if so, i would like to know what i said that made it like i was being biased.

i think everyone should have a "base". this thread is subject to a lot of discusions and debates, i knew it from teh beginning already, and ultimately everyone can throw in the clause "it's all subjective and what you like/want for a car" and then we can close this thread, but there do exists a lot of stuff between the cars that are worth discussions on. if anything i think that would be why 1sick put them in.

his comments are one thing, sometimes i don't agree 100% too. but coming back saying that the rl is just as superior as the ls430 UL, isn't that a bit off the track? i dont' see a single damn thing that makes them in the same class for all i care. if anything, talk about the quietneess inside the cabin is already night and day between the cars. i don't see much difference from saying doing a comparison between the corolla and the es330. corolla is pretty quiet inside (my friend has one), but please....

i never just go out balantly talking sh8t about a car when i don't have hard evidence. and if anything that i feel is just pure person, i always make it as a joke and/or put a smiley so people know i am joking, like "i will never own an domestic car for any reason man " if i am being biased, i would like to know where, when, why, and how
Old 01-04-05, 10:28 AM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haa rogers never jumped on him. JUst gave my opinion. First of all the previous gs has the luxury feel so what are u talking about. Second of all the new option on the gs is tackling the problem of the older and younger buyers with different suspensions. I love the rl. Never sed test drove it 4 times. A friend has one and i drove it 3 times when he was drunk and i test drove it once. Dont put words in my mouth. I kno what knid of car i want to thank you for ur input though. 2006 gs430
Old 01-04-05, 10:48 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

are you directing this to me? if so, i would like to know what i said that made it like i was being biased.
No. Not directed at you, Rominl. Just to everyone that has been so quick to Acura-bash just because it's not a Lexus.
Old 01-04-05, 11:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
C&D just clocked the M45 0-60 at 5.6 seconds.

5-60 street start time was 5.7 seconds. This street start time, which is more representative of the real world (no brake torquing), is the best ever for a sedan in this class, I believe.
That is 2 very positive reviews then. And those are very solid times.

Old 01-04-05, 11:17 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it that car comparisons on forums end up like this?

But back on topic - about the only thing that is not subjective in car comparisons are the performance numbers and the paper numbers/features. And when it comes to those, the 6 cyl versions of these cars can just about be covered with one blanket. If one took the HP/TQ numbers and the features of each car lined up next to each other you'd be hard pressed to see much meaningful difference between them. It all comes down to taste/preferance. Heck you could line them up next to the E class, 5 series, A6 and even the STS and you won't find much diff in the numbers.
Old 01-04-05, 11:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
No. Not directed at you, Rominl. Just to everyone that has been so quick to Acura-bash just because it's not a Lexus.
ah it's all good. i just wasn't sure if that was to me, coz' if it is, i would definitely want to know what i did, it's something i need to correct if done wrnog
Old 01-04-05, 11:29 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BaLLzZz
Haa rogers never jumped on him. JUst gave my opinion. First of all the previous gs has the luxury feel so what are u talking about. Second of all the new option on the gs is tackling the problem of the older and younger buyers with different suspensions. I love the rl. Never sed test drove it 4 times. A friend has one and i drove it 3 times when he was drunk and i test drove it once. Dont put words in my mouth. I kno what knid of car i want to thank you for ur input though. 2006 gs430
Ok sorry I can admit when I’m wrong you drove the RL 4 times. I just thought it was wrong how people jump on another member b/c he thought the new RL was comparable to a Lexus car when he drives the car almost everyday. I just don’t see anything special about the new GS compare to the old GS. I really would like to know what are car forums think about the new GS.
Old 01-04-05, 11:33 AM
LexFather

I was going to type this long response but it seems love or hate, this thread has been LINKED all over the internet as there is NO OTHER FORUM with a thread as informative as this, with pictures, comparing the 3. Not until a magazine does it. So people are reading and no matter if they disagree or not, people are learning more.

I know I have a way to get peoples panties in a bunch over the internet, if you want to be-little me, PM me or I can send you in the mail the 1SICKDOLL with complimentary 50 pins so you can poke my eyes out.lol

Please don't break any rules so they don't have to be enforced.

Old 01-04-05, 11:48 AM
LexFather

M35/45 pics from automobile. RL pics from DC autoshow

Last edited by LexFather; 01-04-05 at 11:54 AM.

Old 01-04-05, 12:02 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow i never paid attention to the performance of the rl before. 7.7 0-60?! isn't that a bit on the slow side considering it's a 300hp engine?
It is slow because that 7.7 seconds to 60MPH is at least a full second slower than what nearly every American car magazine tested the RL at. Acura claims 6.5, but most are getting at least a 6.7 to 60.
Old 01-04-05, 12:04 PM
LexFather

http://rl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...8&page=2&pp=25

Good strategy. Please continue to bash me there but not here. Or your gone. Thanks, have a nice day.

Old 01-04-05, 12:11 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BaLLzZz
Whell with the gs300awd at about 8 grand less for a 2 sec difference i think the gs TAKES THIS ONE and its not numbers i pulled from the air its numbers that lexus has let out what the gs would do. If it does it or not is not my problem i am going off of the info lexus had stated
All we can do wait until we get real independent numbers from other sources for the GS other than Lexus. Acura say's the RL will do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds so if we only go by the manufacturers estimated times the RL is at least a full 0.5 seconds faster to 60 which is huge. I'm not saying 0-60 times are importent to me since both those times are faster than my V8 Lexus, but it seems like half the people on this forum like that sort of comparisons when it favors their favorite car. Keep in mind I'm comparing the AWD GS300 to the AWD RL not the two wheel drive GS.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 01-04-05 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-04-05, 12:30 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

RJML, getting access to the ls430 ul isn't something ground shaking man, if i need i can have that car tomorrow. i drive that car extensive enough to know most of it. and i happen to have driven the rl as well.

i am not going to go into details, coz' i don't think there is a need. coz' putting the rl together in comparison with the ls430 ul would be the last thing i consider doing. this might be subjective to certain extend, but probably more objective than what you said

the rl is a nice car, i dont think anyone is saying that it's crap. but it's nothing like ls430 bro, let alone the two letters UL
This I have to agree. The Ultra Luxury LS430 goes far beyound anything Acura has. It is just in a different league. It also shows with it's price. Priced on lexus.com a loaded UL package cost about $75K. $25K extra buy's you a heck of a lot more car compared to $50K. While I have always said the LS400/430 was not my style and too big a car for me, I'm probably going to pick up a used LS430 UL package in a year or two and turn it into a VIP style car. I'm actually getting boared with my SC400 so I don't think I'll put any more money into modding it. Plus my wife wants a 4-door anyway. Seriously though, I would think from my track recored of cars that people would think I have at least some good taste in cars. The RL is definately on my short list of potential cars. You can't compare it to an LS430, but compared to nearly everything in its class range it really does appeal to me. The only reason why I'm going with a used UL LS430 is for the VIP style and air suspension.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 01-04-05 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: GS/M35/45/RL comparisons