GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS/M35/45/RL comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-05, 09:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A potent M45 for $50K? That's great. The *current* GS430 with nav is $52K MSRP, so the next one ain't likely to be cheaper, plus, anyone know the weight of the new GS? I somehow doubt with the 4.3 in the new GS, even with the 6 speed auto, that it will be as fast as this M45, but maybe it will.

I don't know the dimensions, but from all the pics I've seen the M45 looks smaller than the new GS, which is a PLUS in my books.

I saw a new RL from behind on the highway the other morning and I thought it looked great, especially the circle of LEDs on the rear lights, VERY SWEET.
well the 04 ls430 is pretty heavy at 4000lb, but with the same engine and 6 speed (not sure about the rear end, but i don't think it's 3,76), it has a speed of under 6 sec to 60. so given if the new gs is lighter than the ls430, and if it's really a better ratio rear end, it's not entirely impossible
Old 01-06-05, 11:58 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't the 06 GS have runflat tires? Without a spare tire Lexus shave off a few pound.

Chu...
Old 01-07-05, 09:59 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While Lexus has quoted the 2004/2005 LS430's 0-60 at 5.9, many magazines have tested it at about 6.2 seconds which is still fast considering it's weight and having "only" 290HP. The '01-'03 LS430 ran 0-60 in about 6.8 seconds, so the 6AT alone shaved about a half second off the 0-60 time. If the same holds true for the GS (same V8, new 6AT) that could theoretically bring the 0-60 down to around 5.2 seconds but also consider bigger wheels and the fact that it will probably be a bit heavier than the current model...likely keeping the 0-60 to where it is now (any performance gains with the new 6AT could be cancelled out by added weight, in which case we're still getting one of the fastest cars in it's class [0-60 of about 5.7 seconds, which is exactly what Lexus has quoted]). I know that's quite theoretical, but it's probably what will happen.

A while ago I compared the dimensions of the new car with those of the current one, and I think that most of the increases were less than an inch except for wheelbase which I believe was lengthened a little more than 2 inches. I could go and dig them up, but the new GS hasn't grown anywhere near as much as the new M has over it's predecessor. From what I've seen, the M is a pretty good sized car, just a bit smaller than the LS430.

I think the M will remain the fastest car in it's class, even when the GS430 arrives in two months, but if the rumor of a GS460 does come true, Infiniti could be in trouble. In the same breath, there is a lot more to a luxury car than just straight line performance and I doubt that any of us are really going to notice the difference behind the wheel of a car does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds or of one that takes 5.7 seconds. The Mag-racer numbers are nice to look at and consider, but if the M has a .3 or .4 second 0-60 advantage over the GS, that doesn't exactly qualify it as a better car, like some of the people here and on other forums are predicting.

-Michael-
Old 01-07-05, 10:44 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
While Lexus has quoted the 2004/2005 LS430's 0-60 at 5.9, many magazines have tested it at about 6.2 seconds which is still fast considering it's weight and having "only" 290HP. The '01-'03 LS430 ran 0-60 in about 6.8 seconds, so the 6AT alone shaved about a half second off the 0-60 time. If the same holds true for the GS (same V8, new 6AT) that could theoretically bring the 0-60 down to around 5.2 seconds but also consider bigger wheels and the fact that it will probably be a bit heavier than the current model...likely keeping the 0-60 to where it is now (any performance gains with the new 6AT could be cancelled out by added weight, in which case we're still getting one of the fastest cars in it's class [0-60 of about 5.7 seconds, which is exactly what Lexus has quoted]). I know that's quite theoretical, but it's probably what will happen.

A while ago I compared the dimensions of the new car with those of the current one, and I think that most of the increases were less than an inch except for wheelbase which I believe was lengthened a little more than 2 inches. I could go and dig them up, but the new GS hasn't grown anywhere near as much as the new M has over it's predecessor. From what I've seen, the M is a pretty good sized car, just a bit smaller than the LS430.

I think the M will remain the fastest car in it's class, even when the GS430 arrives in two months, but if the rumor of a GS460 does come true, Infiniti could be in trouble. In the same breath, there is a lot more to a luxury car than just straight line performance and I doubt that any of us are really going to notice the difference behind the wheel of a car does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds or of one that takes 5.7 seconds. The Mag-racer numbers are nice to look at and consider, but if the M has a .3 or .4 second 0-60 advantage over the GS, that doesn't exactly qualify it as a better car, like some of the people here and on other forums are predicting.

-Michael-

Very True, but what about the handling/chasis?
Old 01-07-05, 11:33 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
While Lexus has quoted the 2004/2005 LS430's 0-60 at 5.9, many magazines have tested it at about 6.2 seconds which is still fast considering it's weight and having "only" 290HP. The '01-'03 LS430 ran 0-60 in about 6.8 seconds, so the 6AT alone shaved about a half second off the 0-60 time.

-Michael-
ON the Lexus website they have this disclaimer for the performance times attained.
These performance capacity figures are for comparison only, and were obtained with prototype vehicles by professional drivers using special safety equipment and procedures. Do not attempt.
WE all know they use special timing and safety equipment but I was a bit surprised at the prototype behicle statement. Anyway, anything in the 6.5 second range is already fast for a 4000lb car so anything better is impressive.
Old 01-07-05, 12:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A potent M45 for $50K? That's great. The *current* GS430 with nav is $52K MSRP, so the next one ain't likely to be cheaper, plus, anyone know the weight of the new GS? I somehow doubt with the 4.3 in the new GS, even with the 6 speed auto, that it will be as fast as this M45, but maybe it will.

I don't know the dimensions, but from all the pics I've seen the M45 looks smaller than the new GS, which is a PLUS in my books.

I saw a new RL from behind on the highway the other morning and I thought it looked great, especially the circle of LEDs on the rear lights, VERY SWEET.
Bit the M35/45 is 192 inches long, the GS will still be 189 inches.

Old 01-07-05, 12:58 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rogers
Very True, but what about the handling/chasis?
Well, those are about the last two things we have yet to uncover with the new GS. It's a completely new chassis so we don't know what to expect there, but as many people have noted, the new Adaptive Variable Suspension feature as well as bigger wheels and grippier tires are a good start as far as handling is concerned. We'll have to wait for magazine tests to see how the car actually drives.

-Michael-
Old 01-07-05, 01:04 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bit the M35/45 is 192 inches long, the GS will still be 189 inches.

Must add I recently was a passenger in the new rl...and it still seems like your grandfather's car. Definetely not fun to drive, or thrilling, or inspiring in any way. Feels solid, but as I read in a review recently try to find- the suspension is too stiff. It is not agile AT ALL. Turning the corner, it's way to slow. Doesn't have anything that should make it unique to the car.

The exterior is sleek but not a unique design that's for sure. The turn signal mirrors are pretty cool. The aluminum dash is really nice. The navi is very good. The AWD should be fine. These are the stong points.

The car is quiet, firm- but boring, boring, boring. It's kinda bland. What a waste of money! Forget "street credit" Test drive it you'll see.

Plus- judging from the bargain prices he was willing to give- not exactly selling.

What else is there- what's happening these days. The e500 is much nicer- can be driven sporty or luxuriously - apparently, even though its kinda nothing too much either! Hoping to test drive it soon.

The 530 not good enough when you have the...
The 545 and it's mechanical problems yet still a bit to high
The new gs- sorry but the've made a big mistake exterior wise.
Old 01-07-05, 01:29 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex_Fnatic
Must add I recently was a passenger in the new rl...and it still seems like your grandfather's car. Definetely not fun to drive, or thrilling, or inspiring in any way.

The car is quiet, firm- but boring, boring, boring. It's kinda bland. What a waste of money! Forget "street credit" Test drive it you'll see.

Plus- judging from the bargain prices he was willing to give- not exactly selling.
Bargain prices? Most RLs are still going for MSRP. The best discount reported is less than $1000.

It's been selling at about 2000 per month. Not bad for a $50k sedan.

Also, if you were just a passenger, how do you know it's not fun to drive?
Old 01-07-05, 01:49 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jrock65
Bargain prices? Most RLs are still going for MSRP. The best discount reported is less than $1000.

It's been selling at about 2000 per month. Not bad for a $50k sedan.

Also, if you were just a passenger, how do you know it's not fun to drive?

Well he offered much less don't remember what exactly one thing for sure is there were few in the dealership. We drove the executive's car.. As a passenger can get a pretty good idea, not as good as the driver yes but I am not anxious to drive it .
Old 01-07-05, 01:57 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Well he offered much less don't remember what exactly one thing for sure is there were few in the dealership. We drove the executive's car.. As a passenger can get a pretty good idea, not as good as the driver yes but I am not anxious to drive it .
He was probably offering you the demo car then. I'd really be surprised if you could get a new RL for more than $1000 off MSRP.
Old 01-07-05, 02:01 PM
LexFather

Look at how SERIOUS midsize competitors at least OFFER a V-8.
Audi A-6
BMW 5 series
Mercedes BenzE class
Lexus GS series
Cadillac STS
Infiniti M class
Lincoln LS
Jag S-type

Seems any serious midsize luxury competitor has a V-8 offered. Who doesn't:
Acura RL
Volvo S80

To argue that a V-8 is unnecessary or overblown is foolish. The competiton has offered it for years. And those that didn't, SMARTNED up and offered one.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-07-05 at 02:35 PM.

Old 01-07-05, 02:06 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Look at how SERIOUS midsize competitors at least OFFER a V-8.
Audi A-6
BMW 5 series
Mercedes BenzE class
Lexus GS series
Cadillac STS
Lincoln LS
Jag S-type

Seems any serious midsize luxury competitor has a V-8 offered. Who doesn't:
Acura RL
Volvo S80

To argue that a V-8 is unnecessary or overblown is foolish. The competiton has offered it for years. And those that didn't, SMARTNED up and offered one.
and m45
volvo most likely on it's way as the xc90 is coming with one and it is based on the flagship sedan.

Audi A-6- nicer but still not appealing
BMW 5 series- nice but it's got issues
Mercedes BenzE class- nice
Lexus GS series- was sweet
Cadillac STS-- forget it
Lincoln LS- not really benz territory
Jag S-type - too show offy
Old 01-07-05, 02:35 PM
LexFather

and m45
volvo most likely on it's way as the xc90 is coming with one and it is based on the flagship sedan.

Audi A-6- nicer but still not appealing
BMW 5 series- nice but it's got issues
Mercedes BenzE class- nice
Lexus GS series- was sweet
Cadillac STS-- forget it
Lincoln LS- not really benz territory
Jag S-type - too show offy
Thanks, I edited my mistake.

Old 01-07-05, 08:20 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts