GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 Lexus GS300 AWD vs. 06 BMW 530xi (AWD)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 01:18 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nas
Do you think in a few years they will add Awd to the GS430? What abou the BMW 545? I know Audi and MB offer it across their entire line up.

Whose AWD system do you think is better? How do you think these would compare to the 4Matic system and Quattro?

I love to see a magazine do a comparison with the E350, A6 3.2, 530xi,and GS 300 Awd.
It depends on the market - if one maker starts to sell well, the others will jump in. There's so few AWD sales at the top end of the segment that it's probably hard to justify the upfront costs without a definite sales stream - kinda like offering an MT.

In most applications there's very little real end user diff between any of the AWD systems. The SHAWD in the RL makes a slight diff at the limits on a track, but in slow speed real world situations (winter traction) they all do the same thing - send power to the wheel with traction. In those cases the tires (few people, including the mag testers change the stock tires) make more of a diff than the AWD system differences.

I think the comparo should also include the RL, M35x and the STS AWD.
Old 01-31-05, 07:28 AM
Nas
Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Different engine, different tranny, different drivetrain layout. There's a huge difference there. Just wait and see when the vehicle comes out. Alot of people are not giving it a fair chance just because it's just a 3.0L V6 and 245hp on paper. Wait for it to come out and then drive it.
Thanks for the input. I hope it is a lot better in person than what it is on paper. I love the Lexus V8s, but their 6-cylinders don't seem as powerful as the "German Horses."
I hope this one changes my mind.
Old 01-31-05, 10:01 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nas
Thanks for the input. I hope it is a lot better in person than what it is on paper. I love the Lexus V8s, but their 6-cylinders don't seem as powerful as the "German Horses."
I hope this one changes my mind.
I'd have to fully agree with you too. My former GS430 had a silkly smooth powerful feel to the V8, my former RX330 and the ES330 loaner cars I have been getting for service visits just do the job. Doesn't feel that powerful, but it's decent. Not inspiring. So I can't even imagine the previous GENs RX300 & ES300 and how underpowered they must have felt.

Again this is all preference we have yet to see the new GS, so hopefully the new 6 in the GS will be inspiring!
Old 01-31-05, 10:05 AM
biker
Lead Lap

According to the flier I got today from a local BMW dealer, the 5 series with new I6 engines and x drive will be available soon after the March 3 launch of the E90 3 series - probably 3 months after that in the US.
Old 01-31-05, 10:37 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by lexguynj
Not inspiring. So I can't even imagine the previous GENs RX300 & ES300 and how underpowered they must have felt.
Well at that time, the 1MZ-FE 3.0L V6 was powerful for it's time versus it's competitors.
Old 01-31-05, 02:48 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by biker
According to the flier I got today from a local BMW dealer, the 5 series with new I6 engines and x drive will be available soon after the March 3 launch of the E90 3 series - probably 3 months after that in the US.
UPDATE as of 1/31/05 - My BMW Dealer just emailed me an update that there there will be a June 2005 production for the 530xi however again this is a salesperson talking and we all know that Dealer Salespeople are the last to know!

Wow, the new GS is almost upon us!

Last edited by lexguynj; 01-31-05 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-31-05, 03:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

, however again this is a salesperson talking and we all know that Dealer Salespeople are the last to know!
That' s somewhat of an ignorant statement. Not all salespeople are last to know.
Old 01-31-05, 03:02 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Well at that time, the 1MZ-FE 3.0L V6 was powerful for it's time versus it's competitors.
I agree that that at that time it was probably good enough, which is why both the RX and ES were such popular selling cars in their classes, but for the younger folk like us it was just not enough.

That is why it is very important for the new GS (Lexus sports sedan) to have that whiplash feeling of power / acceleration, handling / cornering to make you love driving it everyday.

The Lexus V6 is not more of a practical engine at this point (decent power / good mileage) and it would be great if it could break out of that conception in the new GS.
Old 01-31-05, 03:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

but for the younger folk like us it was just not enough.
Remember, the target demographic for these specific cars are not the under 30 crowd.
Old 01-31-05, 03:09 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

Remember, the target demographic for these specific cars are not the under 30 crowd.
Hey the under 30 crowd can have the IS if they want, but I am part of the over 30 club (Geez turning 32 already in April YIKES! Thanks for reminding me). Even us YOUNG folks in our 30s don't want a boring, practical car! The more power, bells and whistles, the better. Fully loaded is part of our vocabulary!
Old 01-31-05, 05:48 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

That' s somewhat of an ignorant statement. Not all salespeople are last to know.

Yes it is an ignorant statement, but I have to say that Clublexus.com spoils me and you can find the latest and greatest news on Lexus from this site, instead of waiting for your sales person to tell you. I love CLUBLEXUS!
Old 02-01-05, 08:27 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Geez, I may have to take back my earlier statement of the dealer salesperson is the last to know, since my BMW Dealer says they will get new pricing in the next 1-2 weeks, so you can start to formally order the new 2006 530i / xi (with the new 6 Cylinder Engines) for June Production.

My Lexus Dealer has yet to give me any ordering info, but it maybe coming soon.
Old 02-01-05, 10:47 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Geez, I may have to take back my earlier statement of the dealer salesperson is the last to know, since my BMW Dealer says they will get new pricing in the next 1-2 weeks, so you can start to formally order the new 2006 530i / xi (with the new 6 Cylinder Engines) for June Production.

My Lexus Dealer has yet to give me any ordering info, but it maybe coming soon.
The delears are only as smart as the head company wants them to be. Other than getting info directly off a Lexus computer system, the info at CL is about as good as you're gona get.
Old 02-02-05, 03:06 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I tell you now that for me it's still between the 06 GS300AWD or 06 530xi.

The Infiniti is nice, but I just don't have an Infiniti dealer near me and although Infiniti has a great product line, they don't have the prestige that Lexus and BMW garner at this point and hey let's be somewhat honest here, we buy luxury brand cars somewhat for the name too.

We need a review / comparison test or at least a test drive to figure this one out!
Old 02-02-05, 03:10 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by biker
The delears are only as smart as the head company wants them to be. Other than getting info directly off a Lexus computer system, the info at CL is about as good as you're gona get.
That's not always the case because it's all about who you know and what kind of connections you have.

Quick Reply: 06 Lexus GS300 AWD vs. 06 BMW 530xi (AWD)