GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 Lexus GS300 AWD vs. 06 BMW 530xi (AWD)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 03:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
That's not always the case because it's all about who you know and what kind of connections you have.
Amen brother
Old 02-06-05, 07:08 AM
HemantS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reliability is not a minor issue.

If you're leasing for four years then take the BMW. If you plan to buy it then I'd get the Lexus

And besides, I'd pick the A6 over the BMW any day. That way you get a real AWD system and you can have an AWD V8.
Old 02-06-05, 10:01 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HemantS
Reliability is not a minor issue.

If you're leasing for four years then take the BMW. If you plan to buy it then I'd get the Lexus

And besides, I'd pick the A6 over the BMW any day. That way you get a real AWD system and you can have an AWD V8.
IMO, there's nothing better about the quatro in the Audi than the xdrive in the BMW.
And while it sounds nice to have the V8 in the Audi, performance wise it buys you next to nothing. The 4.2 Audi was on Motorweek on the past show at they got a whopping 6.8s 0-60 time. You can probably get close to that in the 6MT 6 cyl BMW. Heck even the V6 AWD GS300 might get close to that. Motorweek wasn't exactly thirlled with the implementation of MMI in the A6 either. Pricewise, the A6 is on par with the GS.
Old 02-06-05, 11:24 AM
azmike
Rookie

Default For what it's worth...

between the BMW and Audi I would go with the Audi. Drove and researched both and A6 comes out on top in my opinion. Audi has been doing AWD for over 25 years and I think they have it down. Plus, the interior is far superior and the MMI is much more intuitive that the much maligned I-drive.

However, bottom line as to all (also checked out MB E class) I prefer the GS. I really think it has it all except for the old word prestige of the german cars.

In my opinion, Lexus has set its sights squarely on the luxury sports sedans with the new GS and we the consumers are really going to benefit and MB and BMW will take a hit--albeit a small one at first. Even if BMW and MB stay with those brands the consumer will ultimately benefit because Lexus will make the others get better.
Old 02-06-05, 12:08 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GSAWD 0-60 time

The GS300 AWD will come at 6.9 seconds vs. the RWD at 6.8 seconds. So if all you want to do is drive in a straight line that's not bad. The ideal luxury sports sedan would have the ability to drive onto the racetrack and still pamper you with amenities. The previous GS had a nice balance between Luxury/ Sport. It seems to me that Lexus has a new attitude which is to place the emphasis on Sport. They are actively gearing up for the 2006 racing season with the new IS350. It is not too much of a stretch to expect a competition version of the GS and IS series just like an M5 or M3 or S4 for that matter. If racing is your cup of tea then some of the dynamics of RWD vs. AWD apply. I drove the BMW 3 series, the A4 , and the IS300 when the car was introduced. The A4 suffered from understeer on quick back and forths and the IS300 was more agile than the 328 and had much better brakes. That is reflected in the success of the Lexus IS in its recent racing exploits. Toyota and Ferrari are the only manufacturers that produce their own Formula racing engines. There is plenty of pedigree of performance available to Lexus.

The GS300 AWD has an all new double wishbone racing inspired fully independent front suspension. The main front suspension member is placed in front of the drive shafts as is the front stabilizer. At the base of the front dampers there are C shaped bars to allow clearance for the drive shafts. The power split front to rear is performed by a ltd. slip center differential. The only other Lexus to date that uses that is the GX470. The front driveshaft goes throught the oil pan. The Skid Control ECU will apportion power front to rear. The ltd. slip gives a chance to have a rear wheel bias in power which can alleviate the understeer affect of AWD. The rear suspension has a new multi link set up to keep the rear wheels straight under acceleration and up and down travel so it tracks reliably in the corners. The shocks are high pressure gas filled.
I also want to try the Electric rack and pinion steering with variable assist of the speed sensitive type.

The GS RWD weighs 3,616 lbs. and the AWD 3,759 The GS430 3,748.

Lexus interiors have been more ergonomic and intuitive IMO. If you get the Navigation/Mark Levinson you will be happy even when you are sitting still. ( you can watch a DVD in surround sound) The BMW I-drive is a joke and as its intent was to simplify a cluttered dash which had endless tiny buttons. The cure was worse than the disease. I won't even go into the nav system or cupholders etc. Lexus pampers you like no other......

Last edited by Rockville; 02-06-05 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-06-05, 04:42 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I had a 2001 GS430 and it was no match for a BMW 540 in terms of cornering, handling, sportiness and the feel of a true sports sedan.

I am not saying that I want the most pure of sports sedans, but I do want a sports sedan that look great and is very fun to drive.

Sure the Lexus has the advantage in the luxury ameneities, but if I only wanted luxury and a little sportiness than the GS or LS would be my choice, HOWEVER I am buying a SPORTS SEDAN at a high price tag that requires you to have everything you want in this type of car and not even have to look for aftermarket enhancements just to make the car handle and corner better.

The previous GS430's only sportiness factory were adding the 17" Rims and the Rear Spoiler. I hope there are significant improvements to the New GS out now, so I can come back to the GS.

There is still no sports package option from Lexus for those of us that want more. Heck even the GX has a Sports package option for 2005!
Old 02-06-05, 07:04 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

If you want a sports sedan, that's what the IS fulfills.
Old 02-06-05, 08:24 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
If you want a sports sedan, that's what the IS fulfills.
Hey Flip, this will spark a whole new debate on the IS vs. the 3 Series and even though I have a 330i and am totally biased, I look forward to the new IS, since the current IS is not the 3 Series contender it was meant to be.

The GS is the true sports sedan in the Lexus line, so it should live up to its name in all respects.
Old 02-06-05, 09:22 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Driving is believing

Check out Chu's test drive comments of the new GS300. This is a new animal compared to the Gen 2 car which is still 1998 technology. Expect the new IS series to follow suit. BMW should beware the Ides of March.....

Last edited by Rockville; 02-06-05 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-07-05, 12:26 PM
akbergq
Lead Lap

I agree this march....the term "March Madness" will have a whole new meaning with one of the most important battles of midsize luxury sedans:

The new Infiniti M (which sux with respect to everything)
The new Lexus GS (which is the epitome of finess & beauty captured by a luxury sports sedan)

....lol

LONG LIVE THE NEW GS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-05, 12:54 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are pretty biased, have u even test drove the car?

Originally Posted by akbergq
Old 02-07-05, 01:29 PM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Ill be hoenst....i have not test driven eaither car ...BUT i have started both of them..

I started the 06 GS and it was just quiet and really smooth. The new M seemed noisy and did not feel as poised.

Exterior...the GS has more of an agressive look. It is sleek, stylistic and u can identify it as a luxuriously crafted sports sedan. The slingshot look is a new concept and i think it bodes well for the sports edged look. The new M is also agreesive but since we r comparing just these two cars..it doesnt have that agresiveness as much as the new GS. The front is captured from an altima - i think a lot of ppl will agree. The new GS doe not look anythign like a maxima..all those that said that need to go get their eye examined again. I dont see one bit of resemblance. There are four independent headlights on the GS - i dont see that in the maxima. The maxima has tail lights similar a LITTLE to the 01 02 03 04 05 GS..but not the new 06 GS. The new GS is a lot more sportier and elegant looking than the new M.

Power.? Yes the new M is powered more than the GS....i wont brag about the GS on this....i feel it should have gotten a little more Horsepower...the M35 has more power than the new GS 300. But think about it...are you really going to be able to utiltize the full power of all the horsies? probably not. me living in houston - there is no way.

Interior...there is no comparison. The new GS symbolizes what lexus is all about...luxury. The new GS has beauty, refinement, class, and true luxury captured in its interior. Its just the pinnacle of pure beauty. The cabin is richly styled with metal and alloy finishes that is accentuated perfectly with the wood grain and really just a marvel. I know - iv sat in it for about 30 minutes. words dont do enough justice tot he interior or the pictures.

The M interior is not bad...but it is no where near the level of refinement and beauty as the GS. The center console looks like crap with the rosewood. The aluminum trim is however much better looking but still no where in the league of luxury that the GS interior is in. The console seems like a big spaceship that is thrown in with a lot of buttons on it. The steering looks cheap too in my opinion.

The transmission shifter is just AWESOME and silk smooth in the new GS..i know because i have shifted gears. It has refinement . ...class..beauty ...elegance...its just lexus in a nutshell.

On the other hand - the transmission shifter looks so ugly and cheap in the M...in fact i hate all shifters that have the leather covered cloth over iit....liek the E class..all shifters like those i find extremely ugly. And the M is just another one of those with respect to that. When i shifted...it also seemed hard and was not as silky smooth as the GS...it does not bode well with the interior of the car...does not fit the look of the car. If it was like other shifters that dont have the cloth leather look voer it..it may look better. but that is not the case nor will it ever be the case.

Instrument guage cluster...same story. The new M has a guage cluster like from a pontic or something. No true elgance and beauty. Just put in there with no clear thought that shud have been done coming out with this car. The red and orange look does do well for the car - in my opinion anyway.

The guage cluster in the GS is AWESOME looking. Nice colorations of white and light blue...glows very well at night...u have to see it in the night to see how beautiful it glows. It is just very sweet!

Mark levinson is the epitome of music....bose cannot compare. Even the bose in the RL is not as good...it is high quality as well...but does not compare to mark levinson. It is a level of its own.

Yes u pay more for the GS...yes u dont really have a choice with getting a base car from lexus as u do with infiniti (at the dealer level)...but you get what u pay for

I believe in that a lot. u simply get what you pay for. You pay more for the GS...and u do get more...more beauty and just a lot MORE.
Old 02-07-05, 03:09 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akbergq
I agree this march....the term "March Madness" will have a whole new meaning with one of the most important battles of midsize luxury sedans:

The new Lexus GS (which is the epitome of finess & beauty captured by a luxury sports sedan)

....lol

LONG LIVE THE NEW GS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ackbergq, I enjoy your enthusiasm on everything Lexus, but you really have to wait to check out what else is out there. At this moment, I am not convinced the new GS300 is my best choice out there in the midsize luxury sport sedan market. Don't get me wrong I love Lexus (had 3 of them already), so I will still keep in mind the GS when I have a chance to drive it in person. But the look of the new GS300 is better, but it reminds me of a 4 door Camry Solara. The GS430 with those 18" looks great and it almost seems like they are like 2 complete different looking cars!
Old 02-18-05, 02:53 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

This will be a tough decision. You either love or hate the new 5 series design. I happen to like it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-05, 02:55 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Rims make the car, although these are the sports package RWD rims, we shall see what the Sports Package 530xi rims look like soon. I am OK with the new GS300 AWD rims, but not impressed.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 06 Lexus GS300 AWD vs. 06 BMW 530xi (AWD)